thatman84

(Tutorial) ScummVM with RetroArch

19 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

On the compat sheet theres a note in the cell by the other guy saying it crashed on loading inventory in Broken Sword II.

You move the cursor to the very bottom of the screen and it brings up the items in your inventory to select and use. 

I've not played through the game completely but seems a ok to me. I experienced no crashes 

• Like 1

It was the Hyperspin Android Base Pack 1.1 I was trying to use the ini from

1 hour ago, kylecp1979 said:

It was the Hyperspin Android Base Pack 1.1 I was trying to use the ini from

Good to know. That base pack needs a revisit I think there is an issue with mame also....I was inexperienced when I done that :)

Please comment on the file if poss so I remember when the time comes

8 hours ago, thatman84 said:

Good to know. That base pack needs a revisit I think there is an issue with mame also....I was inexperienced when I done that :)

I think some members would be surprised to know you're relatively new to this emulation game. What you've achieved speaks volumes for what people can do if they put a little effort in my friend! 

Doing a base pack is ambitious. We have different preferences to what emulators to use and what systems we want to play. Updates can mean the ini files need editing over time which doesn't help. 

Might be better to "advertise" it as a stepping stone rather than a base pack. "Noobz" do need to understand there is tweaking and maintenance in store for them when taking on this hobby. It's not really a plug and play situation 

• Like 1

Thanks for the guide on this, im brand new to hyperspin but I've got the games running now...... which I wouldn't have been able to do without your guides @thatman84 (and the others too!)

I put the games in sub-folders as per the links to keep it neat, but I can't get the box art to display. I've downloaded the 3d ones from here and put those in the Media/ScummVM/Images/Artwork1/<gamename>/<gamename>.png

I've tried using Artwork1 and Artwork3, i read something about it using the numbers to layer images up. Do need to use a specific subfolder (1/2/3/4) or is it because I'm missing a config file somewhere that would tell it which to use?

Cheers!

Which artwork folder to use is dependant on what the theme for that system is setup for...

ie: the theme creator could have arbitrarily used any one of the four for boxart.

I would just try each folder till they show up. I guess its also possible the theme was created without any boxart in mind.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Yorkie88 said:

Thanks for the guide on this, im brand new to hyperspin but I've got the games running now...... which I wouldn't have been able to do without your guides @thatman84 (and the others too!)

I put the games in sub-folders as per the links to keep it neat, but I can't get the box art to display. I've downloaded the 3d ones from here and put those in the Media/ScummVM/Images/Artwork1/<gamename>/<gamename>.png

I've tried using Artwork1 and Artwork3, i read something about it using the numbers to layer images up. Do need to use a specific subfolder (1/2/3/4) or is it because I'm missing a config file somewhere that would tell it which to use?

Cheers!

If you're using the unique themes for each game the box art won't show. I used the box art media as the wheel art instead which works very well. 

All the best, glad we helped you out! 

The issue was that I didn't have a system theme but I got the box art working by changing a default.zip file I found in the downloads section (added an Artwork3 line with a right aligned position), but it doesn't look great.......I can play around with it a bit now that I know where the files sit :)

I might also see if I can find some game specific themes to try out, do packs exist for this? I don't have that many games so won't be too big of a task if they need to be done individually, and I'll probably remove/comment out any missing games from the database file to tidy it up a bit.

Cheers!

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 11:23 PM, Yorkie88 said:

I might also see if I can find some game specific themes to try out, do packs exist for this? I don't have that many games so won't be too big of a task if they need to be done individually, and I'll probably remove/comment out any missing games from the database file to tidy it up a bit.

Cheers!

That's exactly what needs to be done. As you have to set the ini file to "roms only=false". It will put everything that's listed in the xml database file on the ScummVM wheel. 

Keep your original "full game list xml" , I'd just rename it. Then name your "favourite games xml" you make, to be used in it's place. 

You can see my setup in the video below, I had this done long before the guide. I intended to only do a few classic games too BUT I got carried away with it ;)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Honosuseri
      I realise there is already a thread for the Commodore Amiga in the Android section. I should know, as of late I've essentially taken it over! It's one of the most viewed threads in the Android section, so clearly many of you adore the Amiga as much as I do. 
      That thread has become quite long and it's quite confusing with people choosing to emulate the Amiga in different ways. I decided it would be best to start my own thread, streamlining it to show the best way to get this done. As I do have a "proof of concept" setup working! 
      This project I've taken on is a mammoth undertaking, as the Amiga is quite a complicated system to do. I'll try to explain why and how I've decided to proceed, keeping you guys up to speed with my progress here. 
      The first real issue is the naming that Hyperspin has been using for some time now. It's based from the Whdload zip file names, which was a logical choice BUT the problem is these zip names keep changing over time as they get updated. This throws the database entries and all media assets out of whack. It's my belief that this naming is what is really holding us back doing the Amiga justice.
      Second problem for us Android users anyway, is that we can't use the zip files directly with an emulator. They needed to be extracted out and we used a bootloader to patch the files for the emulator and launch the games. All seemed well and good until I started testing games and found many wouldn't work. Very confusing as the same game files worked fine from a workbench environment I'd set up, with it's own bootloader I added in. I suspected it was the "ultimate amiga" bootloader for the Hyperspin wheel at fault, which proved to be correct. 
      So the best way to launch these Amiga games from the Hyperspin wheel, is to actually use HDF versions of the games. This removes the need for the bootloader. I decided to keep the game folders extracted from the whdload zip files. Continuing to use these with the workbench (Amiga's OS) hdf I created. Having this is a nice nostalgic nod, I'm sure genuine Amiga fans will appreciate. 
      Unfortunately we can't just point the emulator to these hdf files, it's not that simple. Each game requires a config file that points to where the particular hdf game file is, what kick-start (i.e Bios) to use, video settings, control bindings etc. These files are known as uae files, as that is the extension we tell Hyperspin to look for. We trick it into thinking these uae's are the actual "game Roms".
      Sadly uae files aren't universal between emulators. So choosing the right emulator to begin with is important. Many people had chosen to use RetroArch. Which can't do the CD32, so I'll strike it off for that reason alone (although there are other reasons). I spent a long time waiting on Amiberry to be ported to Android but the devs haven't delivered. I'm not waiting any longer, so I'm continuing to proceed with Uae4arm. 
      As I write this, the latest version of Uae4arm crashes on Android TV (i.e Shield TV) but does run fine on Android phones. The devs are aware and trying to resolve this. There is an older apk version we can install for now, which does work. Another slight annoyance is that Uae4arm is quite fussy about how the uae files are named. They can NOT have special characters in them (e.g a space) or the emulator won't launch them!
      My next complaint was that Hyperspin has "rules" about what games should be included in the xml database file. I do NOT agree with these "guidelines". I want a definitive collection of Amiga games. 
      I've decided to branch the Amiga out into different wheels, ECS, AGA and CD32. As an analogy think of Sega's Megadrive and it's hardware addons. Megadrive=ECS, Sega32X=AGA (better graphics chipset on later Amigas) and finally the MegaCD=CD32 (better audio track and FMV).
      There is a "HDF game set" floating around. However... I got to know the creator, from doing videos on my proof of concept setup. I've persuaded him to rename the files to something more sensible, that should help other frontends scrape for metadata and artwork. These names will not change over time as he updates the collection. He does release notes, so this info can be used to keep the xml database file up to date. Currently he's overhauling the hdf files so they take up less storage and even adding cheat and trainer options to the loading splash screen....very cool stuff!
      I'm working on creating missing artwork (wheel, 3D box, diskette and video snaps), keeping busy until this new hdf collection is complete. Then I can start creating the uae files needed. This will be laborious, as Uae4arm doesn't do cycle exact emulation. I need to make sure each game is configured correctly to run at the proper speed, I'll also bind commonly needed keyboard keys to the gamepad on a per game basis.
      If you're confused, that's OK! It should all make sense, once I get around to uploading some more videos. Yes I will make my assets available to you all (minus the games obviously due to Hyperspin rules), once I'm happy with the collection.

• By thatman84
      This is the start of the WIP guide and Amiga Project thread
      DONT REPLY TO THIS THREAD
      REPLY TO THIS ONE(clicky)

For now this will become a tempory guide to UAE4arm setup with the Ultimate Amiga Raspberry Pi Project a helpful source of information in google
      Step 1 - Install Uae4arm (beta)
      You need to follow this link to sign up to be a beta tester to gain access to the apk that can launch games directly from Hyperspin.
      https://play.google.com/apps/testing/atua.anddev.uae4arm
      Link above taken from the English Amiga Board and the post below
      http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1158186&postcount=349

Step 2 - Install Kickstarts
      WIP

Database taken from this thread post

More to follow

Amiberry Android progress threads
      https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/issues/206
      https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/issues/241
    • By MegaSpawnX
      So I have Hyperspin setup everything like SNES, NES, NEO GEO, MAME, Genisis working great except for the Dreamcast.  I am currently running the most up to date of all the software,
      I use RocketLauncher and Retroarch with either reicast or reicast oit core.  Launching games from retroarch itself everything works fine but when using hyperspin it completely locks up and freezes.  The problem at least I think is rocketlauncher and hyperspin wont see the games unless they are zipped in 7z, zip or rar when I run the games audit.  The games have to be unzipped for retroach to run them when i test them. 
      So I guess my question is is there a way to get rocketlauncher/hyperspin to see and audit the games in there native cdi, ghd, or chd format?  I have made sure the file names are current with the database and they still wont see them when I audit or run hyperspin.

Please any help would be great.