Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

(Tutorial) ScummVM with RetroArch

thatman84

19 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

On the compat sheet theres a note in the cell by the other guy saying it crashed on loading inventory in Broken Sword II.

You move the cursor to the very bottom of the screen and it brings up the items in your inventory to select and use. 

I've not played through the game completely but seems a ok to me. I experienced no crashes 

1 hour ago, kylecp1979 said:

It was the Hyperspin Android Base Pack 1.1 I was trying to use the ini from

Good to know. That base pack needs a revisit I think there is an issue with mame also....I was inexperienced when I done that :)

Please comment on the file if poss so I remember when the time comes

8 hours ago, thatman84 said:

Good to know. That base pack needs a revisit I think there is an issue with mame also....I was inexperienced when I done that :)

I think some members would be surprised to know you're relatively new to this emulation game. What you've achieved speaks volumes for what people can do if they put a little effort in my friend! 

Doing a base pack is ambitious. We have different preferences to what emulators to use and what systems we want to play. Updates can mean the ini files need editing over time which doesn't help. 

Might be better to "advertise" it as a stepping stone rather than a base pack. "Noobz" do need to understand there is tweaking and maintenance in store for them when taking on this hobby. It's not really a plug and play situation 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the guide on this, im brand new to hyperspin but I've got the games running now...... which I wouldn't have been able to do without your guides @thatman84 (and the others too!)

I put the games in sub-folders as per the links to keep it neat, but I can't get the box art to display. I've downloaded the 3d ones from here and put those in the Media/ScummVM/Images/Artwork1/<gamename>/<gamename>.png

I've tried using Artwork1 and Artwork3, i read something about it using the numbers to layer images up. Do need to use a specific subfolder (1/2/3/4) or is it because I'm missing a config file somewhere that would tell it which to use?

Cheers!

Which artwork folder to use is dependant on what the theme for that system is setup for...

ie: the theme creator could have arbitrarily used any one of the four for boxart.

I would just try each folder till they show up. I guess its also possible the theme was created without any boxart in mind.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Yorkie88 said:

Thanks for the guide on this, im brand new to hyperspin but I've got the games running now...... which I wouldn't have been able to do without your guides @thatman84 (and the others too!)

I put the games in sub-folders as per the links to keep it neat, but I can't get the box art to display. I've downloaded the 3d ones from here and put those in the Media/ScummVM/Images/Artwork1/<gamename>/<gamename>.png

I've tried using Artwork1 and Artwork3, i read something about it using the numbers to layer images up. Do need to use a specific subfolder (1/2/3/4) or is it because I'm missing a config file somewhere that would tell it which to use?

Cheers!

If you're using the unique themes for each game the box art won't show. I used the box art media as the wheel art instead which works very well. 

All the best, glad we helped you out! 

The issue was that I didn't have a system theme but I got the box art working by changing a default.zip file I found in the downloads section (added an Artwork3 line with a right aligned position), but it doesn't look great.......I can play around with it a bit now that I know where the files sit :)

I might also see if I can find some game specific themes to try out, do packs exist for this? I don't have that many games so won't be too big of a task if they need to be done individually, and I'll probably remove/comment out any missing games from the database file to tidy it up a bit.

Cheers!

• 2 months later...
On 10/2/2018 at 11:23 PM, Yorkie88 said:

I might also see if I can find some game specific themes to try out, do packs exist for this? I don't have that many games so won't be too big of a task if they need to be done individually, and I'll probably remove/comment out any missing games from the database file to tidy it up a bit.

Cheers!

That's exactly what needs to be done. As you have to set the ini file to "roms only=false". It will put everything that's listed in the xml database file on the ScummVM wheel. 

Keep your original "full game list xml" , I'd just rename it. Then name your "favourite games xml" you make, to be used in it's place. 

You can see my setup in the video below, I had this done long before the guide. I intended to only do a few classic games too BUT I got carried away with it ;)

Archived