badhemi
sting

honosuseri
sanchezmike01
aftermath17
Pouteur
krater9

What is it?

ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files. The clever part about this: ScummVM just replaces the executables shipped with the games, allowing you to play them on systems for which they were never designed!

Assets and Links

Latest ScummVM release at time of posting Dec 17, 2017: ScummVM 2.0.
Diskmach Updated Database ScummVM 2.1
Latest HyperSpin database ScummVM 1.8

Working RetroArch core at time of posting scummvm 2.0.0 93d1ca1
Location of current core

How to setup...

Grab these setup files as they will be needed.
(Includes the Android XML and "Official" XML databases)

1. Follow this guide to set up RetroArch ScummVM core directly
  2. Get your games and place them in folders named after this spreadsheet OR download the above setup files and create folders for them (with help of the below guide)
  3. Follow this guide to setup the folder structure for Hyperspin Android "folder trick"
  4. Use the below ini file settings for reference and add the system to your Hyperspin wheel as any other

exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
romextension=scummvm
parameters=cores/scummvm_libretro_android.so

Run Hypersync with the NON android xml as its not compatible with sync.

The progress sheet below was adopted on the RetroArch documentaion and holds all my findings. I did duplicate 1 game to aid with android setup

I created a "simon" folder for the Simon the Sorcerer's Puzzle Pack as all the games are in one folder.

Backup of Working Core

scummvm_libretro_android.so.zip

Helpful Links

https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/tree/master/dists/engine-data

https://www.scummvm.org/

https://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/2.0.0/

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles

• Like 2

Who the **** is Honsuseri? ;)

I'll throw in some advice/useful links you can integrate into the tutorial before I depart...

1. Apply "The Folder trick" as each game must be in it's own folder. It's "tricky" as it has a knock on effect to the artwork, as they need to be in sub folders too. We must set "roms only = false" in the filter section of the scummVM.ini file, setting true even if you have the "roms" won't work...you'll just get kicked back to the main menu of HS. It's really not too bad once you get the hang of it...You can link your own guide dude ;)

2. Each game folder requires it's own .scummvm file in there. This file will launch the desired game and it's what we "Trick" Hyperspin into thinking are the actual roms. Here (https://github.com/RobLoach/libretro-database-scummvm/tree/master/games) is a link to premade .scummvm files. HOWEVER they will need renaming to match the Hyperspin's ScummVM.xml named entries. If you want to make your own...just create a text file  and put the shortened game name (Link here https://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/) on the first line, save it with the .scummvm extension (NOT .txt) for them to work.

3. Some games require a .DAT file for the game engine (e.g Lure of the Temptress or the 3 Kyrandia games). You'll know if it's missing, as the game will say when you try to luanch it. Link to the ScummVM Github repo to get these .DAT's here (https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/tree/branch-1-4-1/dists/engine-data).
Edit by Thatman84
MASTER branch location for Engine Data. Above link is for ScummVM 1.4.1 branch

4. The RetroArch core can be fussy about some of the game rips. Just because the rips you have work on PC or the Official ScummVM Android app...does NOT mean that RA will like them. On rare occasions there were audio issues, I found the Mac versions would work OK to get games with voices playing correctly (only a few use these .sou files which seem to cause the kerfuffle).

5. Quitting the game in the menu takes you back to the ScummVM launcher. It is NOT necessary to add the games into the launcher. I would suggest you configure a custom key to quit RetroArch completely, this would then quit you back to Hyperspin instead to pick another game.

All the best with the write up Thatman!

Edited by thatman84
added updated Engine Data link
  • Like 2

Cheers mate.

I started writing then realised i need to to the folder trick one to continue!

Will probably just end up submitting a set of .scummvm files with the latest 1.8 hyperspin db. (Bit out of date but meh) @krater9 said he would help out nudge nudge lol

54 minutes ago, Honosuseri said:

Who the **** is Honsuseri? ;)

You must have read it wrong....I 100% didnt just edit it :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, thatman84 said:

You must have read it wrong....I 100% didnt just edit it :)

I 100% edited mine! Messed up the link for the shortened game names...it's now fixed.

So I have started the slow process of LAUNCH testing these games.....Its nice work renaming and testing everything methoodically :) I am enjoying it.

You can see the progress here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a87BnQJc7_fTD5zF55JXcm79d5_l_d1ghDxtiubTnDE/edit#gid=0

I am about 70 games in to a 260 game xml recently updated by Diskmach..

Updated OP quickly with some links

@Honosuseri updated your post with an alternative .dat file link. The one posted was from an old 1.4.1 branch of the ScummVM app.

1 hour ago, thatman84 said:

@Honosuseri updated your post with an alternative .dat file link. The one posted was from an old 1.4.1 branch of the ScummVM app.

Yeah no worries. I'm fairly certain they're available from the Scummvm website anyway, they're not hard to find. I posted what I used and they're confirmed working on my setup.

Glad to see you're enjoying yourself. There are some awesome games to play in this collection 

• Like 1

Wrapped this one up for now....Hope it helps someone someday

If you struggle just comment

• Like 2

I'm having trouble doing the first part of this guide. It says to download the scummvm.zip and extract it then put it in the retroarch systems folder. I have done that. Then open the scummvm core in retroarch and set the theme and extra paths. I try to do that but it doesn't show anything up in the browser I hit go up and nothing happens. Is there a way to do it manually???

I believe the path your talking about is set in the scummvm.ini in your retroarch system folder. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kylecp1979 said:

I'm having trouble doing the first part of this guide. It says to download the scummvm.zip and extract it then put it in the retroarch systems folder. I have done that. Then open the scummvm core in retroarch and set the theme and extra paths. I try to do that but it doesn't show anything up in the browser I hit go up and nothing happens. Is there a way to do it manually???

You don't need to do any of that crap to be honest, just install the core. You won't use the ScummVM launcher in RetroArch anyway. Hyperspin will load the game directly as that's it's job. 

• Like 1

Thank you both!

I was trying to follow the setup tutorial on step 1 of this guide. I figured it out now thanks for your help!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kylecp1979 said:

Thank you both!

I was trying to follow the setup tutorial on step 1 of this guide. I figured it out now thanks for your help!

No worries. It's definitely one of the more fiddly "systems" to setup on Android but well worth the effort. Many of the games still hold up well today and Hyperspin can show them off very well indeed 

Still having trouble.

I have all my media in folders per game and I put the scummvm files inside of each game in my roms folder and changed my scummvm database. I used the scummvm files from the download link. I can get it to work in retroarch just fine but when I use hyperspin I'll click on a game and the screen will go black for a sec then it kick's me back to the scummvm menu.

Here is my scummvm.ini

ScummVM.ini

Thank you!  Honosuseri

I figured it was something little like that.

Just for the record it is incorrect in the download pack too. If there is a chance to update it.

This has been the hardest one I have tried to setup so far but in the end it is the coolest so far too!

55 minutes ago, kylecp1979 said:

Thank you!  Honosuseri

I figured it was something little like that.

Just for the record it is incorrect in the download pack too. If there is a chance to update it.

This has been the hardest one I have tried to setup so far but in the end it is the coolest so far too!

No worries. Typos are hard to spot and cause no end of problems. 

That pack is nothing to do with me, I've never used it. I had done some videos on setting this up a long time ago. @thatman84 followed my lead and kindly did a tutorial for the "folder trick" and this one for ScummVM. 

Thank you for pointing out the mistake. I'm sure he'll fix it asap

@kylecp1979 where abouts is the .ini file.....im on the road and doesn't seem to be in the links above although I do say use it in the guide.:special:

I will update it.

54 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

@kylecp1979 where abouts is the .ini file.....im on the road and doesn't seem to be in the links above although I do say use it in the guide.:special:

I will update it.

Checked the pack myself and I can't see an .ini file supplied either. There's a zip for the launch files and database xml files

The ScummVM.ini file he posted has "path=H:\hyperspin\emulators\master system\" in it. I know you're quite "anal" about your ini files, doesn't look like something you'd do as that path isn't used on Android anyway.

***EDIT***

Checked your compatibility document. I can confirm that Broken Sword II - The smoking Mirror does work for me

2 hours ago, Honosuseri said:

Checked the pack myself and I can't see an .ini file supplied either. There's a zip for the launch files and database xml files

The ScummVM.ini file he posted has "path=H:\hyperspin\emulators\master system\" in it. I know you're quite "anal" about your ini files, doesn't look like something you'd do as that path isn't used on Android anyway.

***EDIT***

Checked your compatibility document. I can confirm that Broken Sword II - The smoking Mirror does work for me

Yeah didnt think i upped one but even I said it in the OP lol.....changed that.

The compatibility sheet is free to edit so just update it with your findings. I have done my bit with that for now. I am basically on a break....working til 21.30 most days then crashing out :( should slow down end of September

No chance, I fly out Monday! Work 7 days a week on the boat and through the night to boot. I'd be happy to finish at 9:30pm lol

22 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

If only we were millionairs!!!

Did you get passed selecting inventory? 

This time next year Rodders ;)

Inventory? You'll have to PM me dude

On the compat sheet theres a note in the cell by the other guy saying it crashed on loading inventory in Broken Sword II.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By thatman84
      Please note my knowledge of this system does not run deep but everything here works and plays fine.
      What is it?
      Capcom Play System III or CPS-3 is an arcade system board that was first used by Capcom in 1996 with the arcade game Red Earth. It was the second successor to the CP System arcade hardware, following the CP System II. It would be the last proprietary system board Capcom would produce before moving on to the Dreamcast-based Naomi platform.
      How to emulate in Android (Shield TV)
      Quick and simple way is with the FBA core of RetroArch and matching FBA romset.
      At time of writing current versions are:-
      Core:- FB Alpha v0.2.97.42 (commit 6b7a701)
      FBA:- 0.2.97.42 (9 July 2017)
      Other options are MAME core in RetroArch or MAME4Droid reloaded (0.139mame romset). I believe the CHD files are needed for some games and with MAME4Droid, at least,  I had to "install" the game when it 1st launched in the emulator. That process took about 20-30mins and not all worked. Redearth was one I tested and "installed".
      Games
      JoJo no Kimyouna Bouken: Miraie no Isan (Japan 990913) = (jojoba.zip)
      JoJo's Venture (USA 990108) = (jojo.zip)
      Red Earth (Euro 961121) = (redearth.zip)
      Street Fighter III 2nd Impact: Giant Attack (USA 970930) = (sfiii2.zip)
      Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future (EUR 990608) = (sfiii3.zip)
      Street Fighter III: New Generation (USA 970204) = (sfiii.zip)

Note:-
      I replaced this entry in the official database with the european version as I could not get it to launch in FBA.
      Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future (USA 990608) = (sfiii3u.zip)
      EDIT:- USA version is working with RetroArch core version 0.2.97.44. Make sure you have the correct RomSet version
      Setup Steps...
      1.  Open RetroArch and download the Arcade (FA Alpha) core.
                                     Main Menu -> Online Updater -> Core Updater

1a. Transfer your games to your prefered location (You only need the six zip files listed in the database and above)

2. Add the "Capcom Play System III" system to your Hyperspin setup with HyperHQ on a PC and transfer the files/folder to your device or by manually creating all the relevent folders to your device. (Download at bottom of guide)
      3. Add Capcom Play SYstem III to your Main Menu.xml or Main Menu_Android.xml
      4. Add these lines to your Capcom Play System III.ini file found in Hyperspin/Settings/ or Hyperspin/Settings_Android/
      exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
      romextension=zip
      parameters=cores/fbalpha_libretro_android.so

PLAY SOME STREET FIGHTER .......................

Extra Notes:-
      Under the FB Alpha "Quick Menu -> Options" you can select between different regions. Choosing a different region will give you the different loading screens along with other things I'm not sure about.
      Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (Default)Euro

Street Fighter III 3rd Strike (USA)

ANDROID MEDIA PACK AND DATABASE (Get your videos from emumovies.com)
      Hyperspin-CPS3Android.zip

• By Honosuseri
      As we celebrate 25 years of DOOM! John Romero has brought us SIGIL, an unofficial 5th chapter to the original game. So as Retroarch's Prboom core has now been updated to support it...figured I should really add it to my Doom Classics wheel...
      Threw together a Sigil theme, wheel art and video snap. I was pleasantly surprised, that the prboom core now played the midi music natively. Doom 1&2 originally required me to add the music tracks as mp3 files. 
    • By thatman84
      (FYI having trouble with upping some screenshots and the new formatting so please excuse the wierd format)
      Converting 16x9 Themes for Hyperspin Android
      List of theme animation compatibility
      https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1-8Ofa_GrAdnQ22nf7W7QYVeQoKBQxA_-
      (I am in NO way competent with artwork resolutions but my method works and looks good to me)
      Why...
      Because sometimes that theme you really liked just doesn’t display correctly 
      The main reason for theme problems is the use of animation and scripting of the .swf assets in the “theme”.zip
      (It’s best to replace themes that cause Hyperspin to crash out, but you can try to convert them)
       What’s covered...
             1.      Extract PNG assets from swf files
             2.      Reduce HQ artwork to be compatible with Hyperspin
             3.      Further reduce artwork width to allow for Hyperspin 4x3 -> 16x9 stretching
             4.      Recompile your theme

What is Needed:
      Update on resizing tool.
            Fotosizer is now advised against because of the compression/quality loss it causes.
      pPlease use Photoshop or this program recommended by @IceLancer https://sourceforge.net/projects/easyimagesizer/?source=typ_redirect
      A    A  Fotosizer (http://www.fotosizer.com/) batch resize image files
              B.     Flash Decompiler (https://www.free-dec...flash/download/) extract png’s from swf
              C.     Time and Themes
       I have done a little testing for Main Menu themes. This spreadsheet shows what I have tested and its Android compatibility status. The sheet has download section links for all themes I have tried.

Let’s get to it... 

So grab a theme zip you want to play with and Unzip it. Any 16x9 Main Menu, Game or System Default theme will do.

BakerMan provided me a guide to extracting the PNG’s from SWF but it has since been lost. 
      These are the steps
              1.      Open JPEXS once downloaded and installed from link above
              2.      Click on the “Open” tab and browse to the offending .swf file from your unzipped theme

SCREENSHOT

3.      Right click on “Images” on the left and click “Export Selection”
      (At this step you may find multiple images. If these images are only parts of one image, say the arms and legs of a character, you will have to lose that image completely from the theme or replace it with another one)

SCREENSHOT2
             4.      Click “ok” to PNG file type then choose a location for the exported images (Default is Desktop. Only export one at a time and  then move the PNG out of the output folder as it overwrites each one if not)

SCREENSHOT3
             5.      Now browse to that Output location and you will find your PNG’s in an “images” folder.

You are now ready for phase 2 – Resizing the images
      Note, fotosizer does cause a reduction in artwork quality. If your sensitive to this you may want to use another method. (If you know of a better program please comment) I only run a 37' screen and don't mind myself.
      (Resizing Artwork is covered comprehensively by Avar in his tutorials found HERE)
      Open Fotosizer Add the Artwork that was converted to PNG Reduce the images to 68% KEEP MAINTAIN ASPECT RATIO TICKED (this is the best size for the ones I have done)  
              4.       Move the right side settings bar down and select an Output Folder

5   Remove that Artwork from Fotosizer
      6.   Add the newly resized artwork back into Fotosizer
      7.   Reduce the Width to 75% (to allow HS to stretch it back when its loaded)
      8.   UNTICK MAINTAIN ASPECT RATIO

9.   Now add this finished art back into the theme folder and zip it up again

10.       Name the zip file the same as you have it in the “Main Menu.xml” database

Final Thoughts...

Now when you try this theme out you may find the artwork has slightly changed location. If so adjust the Artwork positions in the theme.xml file within the theme.zip OR load it into Hypertheme and adjust it as required

Hope this helps someone.

HS Android Theme Animations.txt
    • By reznnate
      Tested Emulators -- .ini config settings   Retroarch - Various emulators   exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture  parameters=<choose one of the emulator cores like below>   Examples of retroarch core parameters Atari 2600 core:  parameters=cores/stella_libretro_android.so PSX core:  parameters=cores/pcsx_rearmed_libretro_neon_android.so   libretro cores:  4do_libretro_android.so  bsnes_mercury_performance_libretro_android.so  bsnes_performance_libretro_android.so etc...     Dolphin - Gamecube/Wii/Wiiware exe=org.dolphinemu.dolphinemu/org.dolphinemu.dolphinemu.activities.MainActivity parameters=AutoStartFile    Newer Builds from Dolphin Website:-   exe=org.dolphinemu.dolphinemu/org.dolphinemu.dolphinemu.ui.main.MainActivity parameters=AutoStartFile    IrataJaguar - Atari Jaguar  exe=ru.vastness.altmer.iratajaguar/ru.vastness.altmer.iratajaguar.MainActivity  parameters=rom   Real3DOPlayer - 3DO  exe=ru.vastness.altmer.real3doplayer/ru.vastness.altmer.real3doplayer.MainActivity  parameters=cd   NES.emu - NES  exe=com.explusalpha.NesEmu/com.imagine.BaseActivity  parameters=   MSX.emu - Colecovision, MSX, etc.  exe=com.explusalpha.MsxEmu/com.imagine.BaseActivity  parameters=   Mame4Droid - MAME  exe=com.seleuco.mame4droid/com.seleuco.mame4droid.MAME4droid  parameters=   Mupen64Plus AE exe=paulscode.android.mupen64plus/paulscode.android.mupen64plusae.MainActivity
      parameters=    Nightly builds exe=org.mupen64plusae.v3.alpha/paulscode.android.mupen64plusae.SplashActivity parameters=     Play! - Playstation 2 exe=com.virtualapplications.play/com.virtualapplications.play.ExternalEmulatorLauncher parameters=   Reicast - Dreamcast  exe=com.reicast.emulator/com.reicast.emulator.MainActivity  parameters=   Redream - Dreamcast exe=io.recompiled.redream/io.recompiled.redream.MainActivity parameters=   Drastic - Nintendo DS  exe=com.dsemu.drastic/com.dsemu.drastic.DraSticActivity  parameters=GAMEPATH   Fpse - PSX  exe=com.emulator.fpse/com.emulator.fpse.Main  parameters=path   ePSX - PSX  exe=com.epsxe.ePSXe/com.epsxe.ePSXe.ePSXe   parameters=com.epsxe.ePSXe.isoName  * change romext=cue in settings.ini, iso did not work for me   PPSSPP (FREE version) - PSP  exe=org.ppsspp.ppsspp/org.ppsspp.ppsspp.PpssppActivity  parameters=org.ppsspp.ppsspp.Shortcuts PPSSPP Gold - PSP             exe=org.ppsspp.ppssppgold/org.ppsspp.ppsspp.PpssppActivity              parameters=   uoYabause - Sega Saturn exe=org.uoyabause.android/org.uoyabause.android.Yabause
      parameters=org.uoyabause.android.FileNameEx
      Yaba Sanshiro
           exe=org.uoyabause.uranus/org.uoyabause.android.Yabause
               parameters=org.uoyabause.android.FileNameEx
      Gearoid - Sega Game Gear  exe=com.androidemu.gg/com.androidemu.gg.EmulatorActivity   Parameters=   Colem - Speccy ZX - fMSX VGBANext  Emulators from Garage Research  PAID  com.fms.colem.deluxe - Colem - Colecovision  com.fms.fmsx.deluxe - fMSX  com.fms.ines - iNES  com.fms.emu - VGBAnext - GBA/GBC/GB Emulator  com.fms.vgb - VGBc - Gameboy Color  com.fms.mg - Master Gear - Sega Game Gear  com.fms.speccy.deluxe - Spectrum Sinclair ZX  FREE  com.fms.colem  com.fms.fmsx  com.fms.speccy    Set "??" to "com.fms.emulib.MainActivity" for all products but VGBAnext.   For VGBAnext:  ??=com.fms.vgba.MainActivity for opening *.gba files  ??=com.fms.vgb.MainActivity for opening *.gbc/*.gb files   OpenBOR - 2D Game Engine (Some integration issues with Hyperspin)              exe=org.openbor.engine/org.libsdl.app.SDLActivity Parameters=   Launch android app package names in database.xml Determine Android game name through Google Play web interface. i.e. https://play.google....ure.dragonslair   pcgame=true