Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

WIP: New/First cabinet build.

ZacUSNYR

A friend of mine (and fellow lurker / new forum member Rayzor753) have decided to build a cabinet for our Hyperspin frontend Arcade.

We're going for a retro gaming machine - so we decided to go with a 27" Sony Trinitron TV with S-video. We have a variety of video cards we're going to try (Our best is a 512MB ATI).

We'll see how it works out.

The cabinet we're doing is going to be based on the Mortal Kombat designs.

plans_Large_.JPG

So we bought some big sheets of 3/4" MDF and we got started.

measure6x_Large_.JPG

1stsidecut_Large_.JPG

Peg board is going to be used for the back for venting.

Starting cuts.

moremeasure_Large_.JPG

One side done.

1stsidedone.JPG

Both sides clamped together and squared off on the factory cut side. Then both sides were sanded together with the belt sander = even sides.

bothsidessanding_Large_.JPG

And now we have two equal sides.

bothsidesdone.JPG

Will update this thread as we make progress. We have access to a CNC machine so we're going to "cheat" on the control panel :secruity:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A progress update from 10/16/10

Started the day out clamping our two sides back together and adding a 10" 3/4" recess to flush mount a 3/4" board across the back for a base board. Figured this cab is going be moved so we need to design accordingly.

1-Baseboard_Large_.JPG

We've pondered all the different ways to put the cabinet together and decided to go a frame out on the lower half of the cabinet.

You can see we started measuring above.

2-bottom_Large_.JPG

3-framing_Large_.JPG

We built a shipping crate :party:

4-attaching_Large_.JPG

Right now it's attached using wooden dowels. But it pressed tight and it stays together. On assembly we'll be glueing and screwing.

5-attaching_Large_.JPG

6-testlook_Large_.JPG

That's the so happy face. :coffee:

Will update soon hopefully :)

3/32 slot cutter for T molding ordered on eBay:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/280563890017?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=155974865240&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=%3F*S%3F&GUID=5e98404a12b0a0645637ab87ff446781&itemid=280563890017&ff4=263602_304662

I found this one other website that was trying to chage almost $50 for one cutter with an arbor. This item on eBay only came to $19 w/ shipping! We'll see if it works out OK.

3/32 slot cutter for T molding ordered on eBay:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/280563890017?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=155974865240&crlp=1_263602_304662&UA=%3F*S%3F&GUID=5e98404a12b0a0645637ab87ff446781&itemid=280563890017&ff4=263602_304662

I found this one other website that was trying to chage almost $50 for one cutter with an arbor. This item on eBay only came to $19 w/ shipping! We'll see if it works out OK.

Not sure if you have Harbor Fregith out where you live but i got a whole pack of these :

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-c3-carbide-three-wing-slot-cutter-set-93371.html

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the slowness of this project. We've both been busy and haven't had a lot of time to work on it.

So where we left off, we made an endoskeleton that looks like a shipping crate. We measured it out, bottom is to be a half inch up. Flush against the recess in the back. Well we found out the 'crate' wasn't square. Doh!

Figured out if we put a half inch piece of wood under neith it and stand on it while one of us mount it, it'd be forced squared.

arcade11-6-10_0_.jpg

arcade11-6-10_0a_.jpg

Benefit of this design, no screws on the outside.

Next we decided to work on the base board so we rocked it forward.

arcade11-6-10_1_.jpg

arcade11-6-10_2_.jpg

So we finished the base board and stood it back upright. Next step was the top and speaker box. We did some brain storming - I went to the table saw and ripped some 3/4" MDF strips.

arcade11-6-10_9_.jpg

arcade11-6-10_4_.jpg

arcade11-6-10_3_.jpg

Then we measured the top. Recessed a 1/2" from the top edge and front edge.

arcade11-6-10_3a_.jpg

We figured out our angles and cut our top piece. Screwed it down (it'll be coming back apart for the t-molding).

arcade11-6-10_12_.jpg

arcade11-6-10_11a_.jpg

^^ You can see the base board there.

arcade11-6-10_11b_.jpg

arcade11-6-10_11_.jpg

arcade11-6-10_5_.jpg

That's all we got done. (We're slow :) ) Next up is the bottom of the marquee/speakers. Then we'll be mounting the 27" TV.

Starting to look good, getting excited :)

that's really shaping up nicely.....

Not sure where you live, but I have about 4 of those sides if you need them. I was going to do the very same thing, but I got a lil lazy and now have sold all my dedicated machines.

2011 will be the year of the pincab for me. if all goes well that is.

Keep us posted

Kevin

The big screen is going in soon :)

Doesn't look like we did a lot this weekend, but what little we did was time consuming.

Worked on our speaker setup. We were just going to buy some cheap $30 speakers from walmart - but we're trying to do this on the cheap, but also not cut corners. So we used $200 6 1/2" Directed Components instead. A speaker setup pulled from one of my older cars. Not using them anymore so why not?

So I drew out some lines, bought some wood files, a case of beer and put Ray to work. When he first started, I realized the beer wouldn't be a good idea since the lines would go crooked so I took the beer away from him.

arcade11-21-10_15_.jpg

That's the finished product.

Finding where we want the speakers.

arcade11-21-10.jpg

arcade11-21-10_1_.jpg

(he actually looks like he knows what he's doing eh?)

Before we started this we were going to tackle the TV mounting, went to the hardware store and bought some bolts and stripped the TV down.

arcade11-21-10_2_.jpg

arcade11-21-10_3_.jpg

Archived