Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

WIP: New/First cabinet build.

ZacUSNYR

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I agree that it isn't complicated or dangerous to wire up a power switch for the computer like that.

Though the switch for the Belkin is like a remote control, it comes with a mounting bracket so you can mount it somewhere using wood screws or double sided tape. Like I said, we're gonna plan on mounting it on the top of the cab on either one of the sides. No biggie. That power strip you suggested does seem pretty cool. Never knew it existed until you brought it up. Thanks!

-Ray

The Belkin is probably easier in the long run, no right-way or wrong-way, as long as it works the way you want in the end. :)

Great build so far btw! It's interesting to see how others tackle the challenges of building a custom cab. I've been through the process a few times myself. Fun as it was, I think for the next one's I'll just drop the $550 bucks on a mameroom kit. Not sure if that's laziness or wisdom.

Have you thought about how you're going to finish the outside yet? Other than just priming and painting, canned spray texture (a la Home Depot) or actual formica work well. I used spray texture and black paint on my first build and it looked pretty good. For the next ones I got smart and started with MDF pre-laminated with black melamine. A little more expensive but totally the way to go if starting from scratch.

If you haven't already you might want to check out the Project Arcade Book. Lot's of useful tips.

Looking forward to see how it turns out.

Thanks for the tips. :)

We are planning on priming/painting the cab.

I think we're gonna get some vinyl graphics to apply to the outside as well.

We haven't put together any graphics designs as of yet. We'll post some ideas when we get closer to completing the cab.

-Ray

• 5 weeks later...

So it was 45 degrees Saturday so I made Ray work on this thing.

We got this large bezel and we have no clue how to mount the thing. Figured we'd cut it and then figure that out.

First - let me say these things are cheap. The plastic cracks easy. BE VERY CAREFUL. We put a good size crack in it where it starts to form and I did an emergency super glue fixed. Then we were really cautious and how no more issues.

Got it cut down and then had to figure out how to mount it. We're putting glass over the entire front and we're going to get the glass vinyled so only the screen/inside of the bezel is visible. So we figured we'd just pre-drill/screw it in with some flat top screws.

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

You can't see it in the pictures but the curvature on the screen bezel was much greater then the curvature of the glass. So we used foam to fill up the gap - actually came out looking pretty good.

IMG_0361.jpg

Next up we did the coin door - measured out where we had to cut and had at it with the jig saw. After some fine tuning/sanding we got it to fit.

Oh duh - one issue we never thought about, the thickness of the coin doors clamps. just shy of 3/4" which means it's meant to clamp against 3/4" wood. We used 1/2" for the front because 3/4" would be kinda excessive IMO.

Out came a solution with the miter saw.

IMG_0362.jpg

Put it all back together. Think we're ready to start on the control panel, finally! (although we still have to put the back together/on)

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

Keep in mind, this thing is sitting on a wheel dolly - the sides would sit on the floor if it wasn't.. On final assembly it'll be on leveler feet.

The cabinets coming along nice. I have been wanting to do a retro machine for a long time but never really put the effort into making it happen but after seeing your thread and a couple others its given me the drive to tackle the project. Where in upstate NY are you guys located?

I look upon thee with envy! She is looking outstanding!

Thanks, and no worries man, you'll get yours all figured out. Remember, we were once Hyperspin lurkers too, and this is our first cabinet build. :):top:

Patience and taking our time is slowly paying off. We still have a lot more to do before it's done. Just gotta keep pluggin' away a little at a time :)

Archived