Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Goodbye HyperSpin, you were once my favorite FE...

progets

On 10/22/2018 at 9:46 PM, progets said:

#4 LaunchBox/BigBox - not ideal for a cabinet, slow with a large footprint, easy setup if you have no art assets or computer skills but a pain in the ass if you want to use your existing artwork and configure things how you'd like, nonsensical naming convention when using its builtin scraper make its art assets unusable with other FEs without renaming

I wasn't planning on talking about other FEs here but a couple of people asked. Obviously this is just my opinion. HyperSpin was once the only FE to use in my mind but it was also the most complex and time consuming to setup. A few years have gone by and HyperSpin is still the same while other FEs have progressed and surpassed it. It doesn't matter if you're talking about a FE, car, computer, cell phone, etc. if there is no continued improvement/expansion/streamlining it will become obsolete. How many people here would buy a 5 year old cell phone or computer? HyperSpin is now a 5 year old cell phone.

I think it's silly to care so much about something being outdated when we are playing 30 year old games, and preserving that history.  But oh well

I went to launchbox almost 2 years ago now, and it was super easy to move all my hyperspin artwork over.  They have folders like disc, cart, front box, back box, and the "wheel" logos.  It was just a matter finding them in each system (sort of like you have to for hyperspin) and copy the files.  Then when you refresh in launchbox usually all the images appear, with only a handful that you have to rename a bit to match what launchbox scraped.  They have a great database now, that is always being worked on. front box art naming example: Alfred Chicken-01.jpg  I know a long time ago it used to be like random numbers for filenames but they have since changed that.  The development is so active over there too, it's super fun.  Now they are just beginning to work on the possibility of adding rocketlauncher features like a pause menu and fade screens. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, 32assassin said:

this is funny

1.  you don't like Hypespin because its never updated

2.  when its updated,  you complain because its software you have to "embrace" and need to spend time learning how to configure it.

Unless theirs been major updates to the Hyperspin plugin I'm not aware of.

let me be the one to expand on this , Attract Mode supports Hyperspin themes,  it does not support many of the animations you add in Hypertheme.,   I had to modify over 400 MAME themes in order to get them to work in Attract Mode.  so if you think that you can just copy and past all your themes to Attract Mode. Good luck with that.  

And if you think you can make themes (or layouts as they are called in Attract Mode)  good luck with that.  Unlike Hypertheme their is no official layout making program for Attract Mode.

Half the people have a hard time installing programs,  you really expect them to know how to write code in order to make Attract Mode layouts.

When I made my layouts I had no choice but to take an existing layout and swap out all the artwork.  None of my layouts have any animations.

1. Yes, HyperSpin hasn't seen a real update for at least 5 years. Bug fixes and limping along to run current Windows releases aren't updates.

2. RL migration wasn't a HyperSpin upgrade. It was HyperSpin moving to RL because its own HyperLauncher was outdated and all of the talent behind it abandon HS to start RL to be used with other FEs. Let's call a spade a spade.

Let there be no mistake, I know computers so the HS setup was trivial for me compared to the horror stories you can read on the forum. In fact if you read my posts you'll see 95%+ are helping others and not asking questions. I'm not complaining about anything other than HS being outdated, which is VERY HARD TO DISPUTE.

As I mentioned above, some HS themes work and some need adjustment when used in AM. Instead of converting 400 themes, as you claim, wouldn't it be smarter to modify the single hyperspin.nut loader that interprets the HS themes to work correctly? Or you could ask for someone to do it for you since it's open source and anyone with the talent could fix it?

You want a tool to make your own AM layouts from scratch, here you go http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1697.msg11996#msg11996.

Here's another tool that makes making your own layouts easy http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1945.msg13386#msg13386.

Just like the HS forum, the AM forum has many helpful and knowledgeable people that will help you create your layouts. There are many threads over the years with Graphic Designers connecting with Coders (and vice versa) to make great things happen.

I think this is turning into something I never intended. I don't want to put down HS, I do still like it, but I'm not to blind to see that there are better options these days.

3 hours ago, damageinc86 said:

I think it's silly to care so much about something being outdated when we are playing 30 year old games, and preserving that history.  But oh well

I went to launchbox almost 2 years ago now, and it was super easy to move all my hyperspin artwork over.  They have folders like disc, cart, front box, back box, and the "wheel" logos.  It was just a matter finding them in each system (sort of like you have to for hyperspin) and copy the files.  Then when you refresh in launchbox usually all the images appear, with only a handful that you have to rename a bit to match what launchbox scraped.  They have a great database now, that is always being worked on. front box art naming example: Alfred Chicken-01.jpg  I know a long time ago it used to be like random numbers for filenames but they have since changed that.  The development is so active over there too, it's super fun.  Now they are just beginning to work on the possibility of adding rocketlauncher features like a pause menu and fade screens. 

This thread wasn't meant to be promotion for other FEs.

Different strokes for different folks is what I like to say. LaunchBox is not for a computer savvy person and will drive them nuts with their "fuzzy logic" that most people love. High resource use, limited OS support, closed source code and needing to pay for BigBox (no one would ever run LaunchBox on a cabinet) are some big reasons to look elsewhere. Even with BigBox, I wouldn't run it on a cabinet today.

P.S. Let me also mention I have lifetime subscriptions to HS, BB, EM, etc. so I'll get every update for every FE. Though I mention lower or zero cost, I have paid for each of these and cost IS NOT a factor in my analysis.

It's OK and healthy to talk about it, so I repeat myself, thanks for sharing your experiences with other frontends, I could only learn from your posts and it was inevitable that people would argue this and that, since the nature of your change can be seem from different views.

I use Hyperspin and it works flawlessly for me, really, from wide-screen to gamepad, things that were never built-in, were solved by or plugin or Photoshop. I know one thing or two from other frontends and really like that they offer different features, some users will fit better in a particular frontend because of this.

I hope you don't feel uncomfortable because some users may argue stuff about a frontend, etc., this is just natural and I hope you keep posting your experiences, and like you said above, keep helping people.

20 hours ago, progets said:

1. Yes, HyperSpin hasn't seen a real update for at least 5 years. Bug fixes and limping along to run current Windows releases aren't updates.

2. RL migration wasn't a HyperSpin upgrade. It was HyperSpin moving to RL because its own HyperLauncher was outdated and all of the talent behind it abandon HS to start RL to be used with other FEs. Let's call a spade a spade.

Let there be no mistake, I know computers so the HS setup was trivial for me compared to the horror stories you can read on the forum. In fact if you read my posts you'll see 95%+ are helping others and not asking questions. I'm not complaining about anything other than HS being outdated, which is VERY HARD TO DISPUTE.

As I mentioned above, some HS themes work and some need adjustment when used in AM. Instead of converting 400 themes, as you claim, wouldn't it be smarter to modify the single hyperspin.nut loader that interprets the HS themes to work correctly? Or you could ask for someone to do it for you since it's open source and anyone with the talent could fix it?

You want a tool to make your own AM layouts from scratch, here you go http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1697.msg11996#msg11996.

Here's another tool that makes making your own layouts easy http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1945.msg13386#msg13386.

Just like the HS forum, the AM forum has many helpful and knowledgeable people that will help you create your layouts. There are many threads over the years with Graphic Designers connecting with Coders (and vice versa) to make great things happen.

I think this is turning into something I never intended. I don't want to put down HS, I do still like it, but I'm not to blind to see that there are better options these days.

1. their is no denying that we all want a major update to Hypespin,   

2.  if you where around the days of Hyperlaunch 1.0   you will see how rocketlauncher was and IS!!!  a major update to Hyperspin.

Hyperlaunch 1.0  -->  Hyperlaunch 2.o  --> Hyperlaunch   (3).o  -->  renamed to Rocetlauncher when it started supporting multiple front ends.

it was stupid of me to update the 400+ MAME themes and all my main menu system themes so that I could use them in AM.

it would of been allot easier to update the Hypersin.nut

But please tell me

if its a well known problem that, the Hypespin.nut needs an update.  then why is it still at its current state?

this is an updated that should of been done the day it was discovered because as is,  the hypespin.nut plugin is useless,  unless you are dumb enough to update the themes.

as far as those Layout makers

I guess the WIP  KEYWORD WIP!!!!!!!  that was  last updated in what early 2017  Layout Builder has solved all the Layout making problems.

I'm sure tha since it was released; we are now seeing 10-20 new layouts per month the same way we see Hyperspin themes each month  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

half of the people who use front-ends have a hard time setting up their front end,   do you really expect them to know how to write code?

here is one of the help responses from the knowledge uses in the forum.  I'm sure that a noob with no code writing skills will be able to make their custom

layout from scratch in a matter of a few hours

Here is a vertical list using only text for the game names

// Include the converyour helper module
fe.load_module("conveyor_helper");

/*
	=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
	Vertical List Demo
	=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
	A vertical List with all valid options
	Omitted options will use the defaults

*/

// initialize the vertical list
local vList = MyGameList();

// ----------- General List Options -----------	
		vList.type = ch.Linear_Vertical; 				// OPTIONS: ch.Spinwheel / ch.Linear_Vertical / ch.Linear_Horizontal
		vList.bend.direction = ch.Right;  			// OPTIONS: ch.Left / ch.Right
		vList.x = 0;									// OPTIONS: top left x-coordinate if gamelist is linear or the center x-coordinate if a spinwheel
		vList.y = -120;									// OPTIONS: top left y-coordinate if gamelist is linear or the center y-coordinate if a spinwheel
		vList.width = fe.layout.width; 				// OPTIONS: linear game list total width in pixels
		vList.height = fe.layout.height+120*2; 							// OPTIONS: linear list's height in pixels

// ----------- Linear List options -----------
		vList.linear.padding = 5;	// the amount of padding in pixels between each gamelist item

// ----------- List Item  Options -----------
		vList.item.contentTemplate = ch.Text;		// OPTIONS: ch.Artwork / ch.Text / ch.Artwork_and_Text / ch.Artwork_or_Text / ch.Flyer_and_Artwork 
		vList.item.count = 21; 							// OPTIONS: Total number of gamelist items to display

vList.item.sizeScaling.low = 0.60; 				// OPTIONS: 0-100 Scaling size percentage to use for the item furthest from the selected item 
		vList.item.sizeScaling.high = 0.80; 				// OPTIONS: 0-100 Scaling size percentage to use for item closest to the selected item
		vList.item.sizeScaling.currentlySelected = 1.00;	// OPTIONS: 0-100 Scaling size percentage to use for the currently selected item

vList.item.alphaScaling.low = 150; 				// OPTIONS: 0-100 Scaling size percentage to use for the item furthest from the selected item 
		vList.item.alphaScaling.high = 255; 				// OPTIONS: 0-100 Scaling size percentage to use for item closest to the selected item
		vList.item.alphaScaling.currentlySelected = 255;	// OPTIONS: 0-100 Scaling size percentage to use for the currently selected item

vList.item.height = 40; 							// OPTIONS: Height of each gameList item in pixels before scaling - dynamic with linear vertical lists
		vList.item.width = 600;							// OPTIONS: Width of each gameList item in pixels before scaling - dynamic with linear horizontal lists

vList.item.margin.left = 0; 						// OPTION: bounding box left margin size for all images and text 
		vList.item.margin.right = 0; 					// OPTION: bounding box right margin size for all images and text
		vList.item.margin.top = 0;						// OPTION: bounding box top margin size for all images and text
		vList.item.margin.bottom = 0;					// OPTION: bounding box bottom margin size for all images and text

// ----------- List Item Content: borders / backgrounds / gloss / colors  -----------
		vList.item.toggle.backgroundColor = true;			// if set to "TRUE" the game item background can be colored (use item.normal.color)
		vList.item.toggle.backgroundFile = false;				// if set to "TRUE" the game item will use a file as the background (file: item_backgroundFile.png)
		vList.item.toggle.selectedBackgroundColor = true; 	// if set to "TRUE" the selected game item background can be colored (use item.currentlySelected.color)
		vList.item.toggle.selectedBackgroundFile = false;		// if set to "TRUE" the selected game item will use a file as the background (file: item_selectedBackgroundFile.png)
		vList.item.toggle.glossOverlay = false;				// if set to "TRUE" will overlay the game item with a gloss file (file: item_glossOverlay.png)
		vList.item.toggle.borderOverlay = false;				// if set to "TRUE" will overlay the game item with a boarder file (file: item_borderOverlay.png)

vList.item.normal.color.red = 0;					// OPTIONS: background red color channel 0 - 255
		vList.item.normal.color.green = 0;                	// OPTIONS: background green color channel 0 - 255
		vList.item.normal.color.blue = 255;                 	// OPTIONS: background blue color channel 0 - 255

vList.item.currentlySelected.color.red=255;				// OPTIONS: background red color channel 0 - 255
		vList.item.currentlySelected.color.green=0;       	// OPTIONS: background green color channel 0 - 255
		vList.item.currentlySelected.color.blue=0;        	// OPTIONS: background blue color channel 0 - 255

// ----------- List Item Content: Text -----------
		vList.text.message = "[Title]";
		vList.text.alignment = Align.Centre;  			// OPTIONS:left/right/center
		vList.text.normal.font = "Arial";
		vList.text.normal.size = 24; 						// OPTIONS: text font size for every gameList item
		vList.text.normal.color.red = 255;				// OPTIONS: text font red color channel 0 - 255
		vList.text.normal.color.green = 255;				// OPTIONS: text font green color channel 0 - 255
		vList.text.normal.color.blue = 255;				// OPTIONS: text font blue color channel 0 - 255

vList.text.currentlySelected.font = "Arial";
		vList.text.currentlySelected.size = 18; 			// OPTIONS: text font size for every gameList item
		vList.text.currentlySelected.color.red = 128;		// OPTIONS: text font red color channel 0 - 255
		vList.text.currentlySelected.color.green = 255; 	// OPTIONS: text font green color channel 0 - 255
		vList.text.currentlySelected.color.blue = 128;  	// OPTIONS: text font blue color channel 0 - 255

// ----------- List Item Content: User Defined Artwork -----------	
		vList.artwork.type = "wheel"; 		// OPTIONS: name of the artwork to use for the conveyour
		vList.artwork.type2 = "snap";			// OPTIONS: name of the artwork to use for the conveyour setting "Flyer_and_Artwork"
		vList.artwork.preserveAspect = false; // OPTIONS: true / false
		vList.add_favoriteImage(fe.script_dir + "favorite.png",vList.item.width -30,0,30,25);

// show the vertical list
vList.show();

local w = fe.layout.width
local h = fe.layout.height

// show a video of the game and set the shader
local temp = fe.add_artwork( "snap", w,h, 400,300);
temp.preserve_aspect_ratio = true;
temp.origin_x = 200;
temp.origin_y = 150;
temp.x = w /2;
temp.y = h /2;
temp.trigger = Transition.EndNavigation;
local sh = fe.add_shader( Shader.VertexAndFragment, "shaders/crt.vert", "shaders/crt.frag" );
sh.set_param( "rubyInputSize", 400, 300 );
sh.set_param( "rubyOutputSize", ScreenWidth, ScreenHeight );
sh.set_param( "rubyTextureSize", 320, 240 );
sh.set_texture_param("rubyTexture"); 
temp.shader = sh;

//Show wheel artwork
local temp = fe.add_artwork( "wheel", w,h, 400,0);
temp.origin_x = 200;
temp.x = w /2;
temp.y = h /2 + 150;
temp.trigger = Transition.EndNavigation;

//add tvframe to the video
temp = fe.add_image("TVframe.png",w,h, 400,300);
temp.origin_x = 200;
temp.origin_y = 150;
temp.x = w /2;
temp.y = h /2;

You found Attract Mode to be better then HS,  you are entitled to your opinion.

My opinion on Attract Mode

is that its a WIP front end with along way to go

it has very little to no customizing this makes it easy to set up, it also makes it one of the most basic!!!! FEs out their.

the layouts available,  seem to be the same layouts with different media.

example  Robospin made a few layouts. -->   someone took that same layout changed the media from NES  to SNES.

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1300.0

they look good but its the same exact layout , if anyone wants to add an animated box or cart, refer to problem number 1,  you have to use a 

an editor that is still in WIP  or you need to learn how to code the animation.

On 10/23/2018 at 6:46 AM, progets said:

#3 HyperSpin - looks pretty but uses dated flash which makes it slow, lack of development, lack of input support, lack of menu flexibility, only runs on Windows, no flexibility of art asset location

Flash is the rise and fall of HyperSpin. Flash is slow and bugged (memory leaking and weird audio buffer problems) but you can do wonderful things with it. HS offers lots of possibility with skinning, and using actionscript3 code you can add features to the original software. Honestly lots of themes are really taxing on cpu but if you know what you are doing you can create good themes that don't need much power. Using 1080p assets embedd in flash you can have good looking images on 1080p tv, haven't tested but probably 4k is beyond flash's possibilities.
The latest version of my skin, as example, runs pretty good on e2180 1gb ddr400 gtx9800+ and DOES NOT have audio buffer issues (audio of the video not closing). Rocketlauncher is a bit slow while launching a game but it's something you can live with.

Ah, and removing all that "bingboinghadokenscratch" sounds while navigating wheels makes HS 1000000 times better :D

On 10/21/2018 at 9:50 PM, Aorin said:

@dark13, it's easy to add support for any new core in the Retroarch module, I can probably help getting info for it, if you want it.

Is there any sharp x68000, c64, daphne and spectrum modules for RA? :D

4 hours ago, dark13 said:

I believe you mean cores? Or you want an updated RA module that would work with these cores?

I think you could run Sharp x68000 and Commodore 64, Sharp via MAME/MESS core and there's this core called Vice for C64, there's no Daphne option for RA.

I've managed to run Philips CD-i via MAME/MESS core in Retroarch some years ago and it was playable.

Personally I don't have any of the above systems but I can probably help you getting them to work in case you need it, except for Daphne :]

On 10/27/2018 at 6:42 PM, dark13 said:

Flash is the rise and fall of HyperSpin. Flash is slow and bugged (memory leaking and weird audio buffer problems) but you can do wonderful things with it. HS offers lots of possibility with skinning, and using actionscript3 code you can add features to the original software. Honestly lots of themes are really taxing on cpu but if you know what you are doing you can create good themes that don't need much power. Using 1080p assets embedd in flash you can have good looking images on 1080p tv, haven't tested but probably 4k is beyond flash's possibilities.
The latest version of my skin, as example, runs pretty good on e2180 1gb ddr400 gtx9800+ and DOES NOT have audio buffer issues (audio of the video not closing). Rocketlauncher is a bit slow while launching a game but it's something you can live with.

Ah, and removing all that "bingboinghadokenscratch" sounds while navigating wheels makes HS 1000000 times better :D

Dark I just happened to come across your skin the other day on YouTube. It looks amazing!

I still love Hyperspin, sure much can be done to update it like what dark13 has done with his skin but to me the most important thing would be to fix some of the bugs like how it freezes if you press up/down plus left/right quickly after exiting a game. Also adding a built in search feature would be nice. I have seen people complain about HS being ugly, I don't know how anyone can say that except for having only seen some of these builds that people sell that are really badly put together. It can definitely look ugly depending on your choice of themes and other art work.  

1 hour ago, Yardley said:

I still love Hyperspin, sure much can be done to update it like what dark13 has done with his skin but to me the most important thing would be to fix some of the bugs like how it freezes if you press up/down plus left/right quickly after exiting a game. Also adding a built in search feature would be nice. I have seen people complain about HS being ugly, I don't know how anyone can say that except for having only seen some of these builds that people sell that are really badly put together. It can definitely look ugly depending on your choice of themes and other art work.  

What do you mean with "freezing", i've never seen HS freezing, sometimes it can lose focus while exiting a game. Probably the biggest bug of the software is related with flash itself: the audio buffer sucks, sometimes audio buffer is not dumped when a video is removed, (when you launch a game and RL is a bit slow to launch it, if you move the wheel HS loads the next video and you ends up hearing the audio of that video when emulator is launched)  this obviously happens more often on low end rig. I should have solved the problem using

SoundMixer.stopAll();

The code stops the sound mixer when the key that launch the game is pressed or HS goes off-focus.

For search functions... well, hypersearch should simply be in HS download. It still has some bugs but petie has released source code https://github.com/pietie/HyperSearch/releases

I hope that someone can fix the thing :D

Lately I've seen a rig with an 8gb preconfigured HS hard drive: it was basically unusable, too much stuff organized as sh*t. And slow, despite the i5 cpu and the m.2 ssd, as the hd with HS/RL stuff and roms ran from usb    ?

54 minutes ago, Aorin said:

@dark13 actually, I just came across this, probably something really new, so you can expect Daphne for Retroarch too.

https://forums.libretro.com/t/daphne-retroarch-help-please/18820/1

Still haven't tested daphne on RA but c64 and x68000 are really good (well, on c64 they mapped run/stop on the default escape key of RA lol) , the problem is there is not a rocketluncher module to launch them from hyperspin or RL itself.

On 10/27/2018 at 5:42 PM, dark13 said:

An exact looking and running theme runs better on RetroFe (it's the default FE theme and uses hyperlist.xml databases). For game loading speed you can eliminate RocketLaucher in RetroFE, you can also keep RL for a fast setup of a second FE for testing and/or swapping between the two.

On 10/27/2018 at 4:08 PM, 32assassin said:

You found Attract Mode to be better then HS,  you are entitled to your opinion.

My opinion on Attract Mode

is that its a WIP front end with along way to go

it has very little to no customizing this makes it easy to set up, it also makes it one of the most basic!!!! FEs out their.

the layouts available,  seem to be the same layouts with different media.

example  Robospin made a few layouts. -->   someone took that same layout changed the media from NES  to SNES.

http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=1300.0

they look good but its the same exact layout , if anyone wants to add an animated box or cart, refer to problem number 1,  you have to use a 

an editor that is still in WIP  or you need to learn how to code the animation.

You're speaking out of ignorance and not first hand knowledge and experience.

AttractMode is not a WIP FE and has been around for along time. It's more stable than HS which has had freeze issues, loss of focus issuees, and input issues for years which have all been mentioned in this single thread.

AttractMode is considerably more customizable than HS. Please provide a single thing HS can do that AM can't. I can provide a dozen things AM can do that HS can't.

There are many great AttractMode layouts/themes that don't need to be modified, just look on youtube or here http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=481.msg16357#msg16357. These layouts/themes can be changed in seconds in AttractMode while in HyperSpin you'll need to move around a bunch of files and folders for every system you want to change.

WIP in AttractMode actually means a work in progress. WIP in HyperSpin means it will likely never happen.

17 hours ago, dark13 said:

What do you mean with "freezing", i've never seen HS freezing, sometimes it can lose focus while exiting a game. Probably the biggest bug of the software is related with flash itself: the audio buffer sucks, sometimes audio buffer is not dumped when a video is removed, (when you launch a game and RL is a bit slow to launch it, if you move the wheel HS loads the next video and you ends up hearing the audio of that video when emulator is launched)  this obviously happens more often on low end rig. I should have solved the problem using

SoundMixer.stopAll();

The code stops the sound mixer when the key that launch the game is pressed or HS goes off-focus.

For search functions... well, hypersearch should simply be in HS download. It still has some bugs but petie has released source code https://github.com/pietie/HyperSearch/releases

I hope that someone can fix the thing :D

Lately I've seen a rig with an 8gb preconfigured HS hard drive: it was basically unusable, too much stuff organized as sh*t. And slow, despite the i5 cpu and the m.2 ssd, as the hd with HS/RL stuff and roms ran from usb    ?

Still haven't tested daphne on RA but c64 and x68000 are really good (well, on c64 they mapped run/stop on the default escape key of RA lol) , the problem is there is not a rocketluncher module to launch them from hyperspin or RL itself.

Hypersearch is great the only problem is sometimes it loses focus to Hyperspin and you have to alt + tab back into it. What I mean by freezing is just that, after exiting a game it will freeze and not respond to any input from a keyboard or controller even if you alt + tab into it. The video still plays but it doesn't reposing to any input until you alt + f4 out and start it up again. There's been some talk about this here before. Someone mentioned removing the skip up/down keys in HyperHQ as a fix. I tried this and it did fix the issue so it looks like the problem happens when you press left/right quickly followed by up/down. If you want to recreate the problem, exit a MAME game and do a reverse hadouken (right, down) right away a few times. Might take you 2 or 3 tries but it will happen. This is behavior that can easily happen in real world use when random people are playing on your arcade if they're the kind to spazz out on the controls. 

13 hours ago, progets said:

There are many great AttractMode layouts/themes that don't need to be modified, just look on youtube or here http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=481.msg16357#msg16357. These layouts/themes can be changed in seconds in AttractMode while in HyperSpin you'll need to move around a bunch of files and folders for every system you want to change.

LOL , you just proved my point,  Same layout different artwork.

if I wanted text lists with static images  as my themes I would of never switched to Hyperspin

I would of just be using  Emulation Station,  please enlighten my ignorance and fill me in on all the ANIMATED!!!!!  layouts out their.

I will settle for  system layouts that have  an animated box + cart that comes into the screen as I select a game.

I don't want one where the box fades in similar to the marquee in the  Navato or Robospin Arcade  layout.

another one with  an animated box and CD that fly in the screen (after wards  I want the CD image to start spinning).

this is a real request,  as I plan to replace all my 40+ robospin style layouts (most of witch I modified with the Hyperspin theme artwork).

19 hours ago, dark13 said:

OK then, yeah the Escape button is a problem, which I solved by mapping "equal" instead for DosBox games, for example. About the module, I believe it's easy to add these systems, since I have a modified RA module that adds some systems that the old RA module doesn't have.

10 hours ago, 32assassin said:

LOL , you just proved my point,  Same layout different artwork.

if I wanted text lists with static images  as my themes I would of never switched to Hyperspin

I would of just be using  Emulation Station,  please enlighten my ignorance and fill me in on all the ANIMATED!!!!!  layouts out their.

I will settle for  system layouts that have  an animated box + cart that comes into the screen as I select a game.

I don't want one where the box fades in similar to the marquee in the  Navato or Robospin Arcade  layout.

another one with  an animated box and CD that fly in the screen (after wards  I want the CD image to start spinning).

this is a real request,  as I plan to replace all my 40+ robospin style layouts (most of witch I modified with the Hyperspin theme artwork).

If you want to know about AM layouts ask on their forum. There are animated layouts. Most AM layouts have builtin options to adjust the setting to your preferences that you might need to turn on to see the animations. This is done so the same layouts can run on under powered hardware like the Pi without the animations.

Here's one example (jump to 3:00) 

BTW - This is older and there are better examples but this came to mind and was easy to find. I personally prefer and use simpler unified layouts that use blurs and shaders (a feature only available in AM) to make every game look unique.

8 hours ago, Bungles said:

You said your goodbyes.. But then come back to hit up everyone that replies with a difference in opinion?

Test.gif.52ab3c88608fbb16b66b9c14e9ca145a.gif

Edit by Admin:

Not helpful @Bungles lets not inflame things....opinions are ok here as are replies to questions 

As I mentioned in the first post, I'm a lifetime member of HS and will pop back in from time to time to see where HS is going. Also, I get notified when someone replies to my posts so I'm just trying to answer the questions people are asking. Whether you like HS, AM, etc. we are all in the same hobby and are passionate about gaming. I see no reason not to help each other out. Nobody has to "take a side". People can embrace multiple frontends just like they embrace multiple emulators. Some might think RetroArch is the best thing around while others might prefer MAME or other standalone emulators. There isn't a right or wrong, just a matter of opinion. The more information you have allows you to better form your personal opinion.

P.S. If I was trying to push my opinion on others I wouldn't have mentioned 4 other FEs earlier in the post. I just want people to know their options and how other FEs have progressed.

Well this thread is silly.  Progets has some valid complaints and was very clear in his initial post to not explain what he was using in place of HyperSpin to avoid this silliness.  When asked he provided his take on some front ends that are commonly used, then he was bandwagoned about his decision to leave?

I am sorry that happened.  I too have become frustrated with HyperSpin over the years.  I am glad there are so many alternatives to fit the "different strokes for different folks."  I cannot see how any of that is a bad thing.  I would hope that would garner some good development so we one day have an awesome frontend that is easy to setup and looks beautiful.

I think that most users do not design their own themes/layouts so it is kind of a niche complaint.  In the same way I do not typically (though I have) make my own artworks, I like having a bunch of different styles that I can look through to find what I like.  Attractmode offers that alot better than HyperSpin as most of the time it is just a matter of pointing to differnt artworks.  To me it is easier but I have never taken the time to learn hypertheme because every time I have opened it on my pc, it has crashed which granted could have been something I did, who knows?  Anyway, I do not know why this thread has to be a Hyperspin is great, you suck for jumping ship.  It does have it's shortcomings.

3 hours ago, adamg said:

I think that most users do not design their own themes/layouts so it is kind of a niche complaint.  In the same way I do not typically (though I have) make my own artworks, I like having a bunch of different styles that I can look through to find what I like.  Attractmode offers that alot better than HyperSpin as most of the time it is just a matter of pointing to differnt artworks.  To me it is easier but I have never taken the time to learn hypertheme because every time I have opened it on my pc, it has crashed which granted could have been something I did, who knows?  Anyway, I do not know why this thread has to be a Hyperspin is great, you suck for jumping ship.  It does have it's shortcomings.

For some reason, hypertheme crashed for me in the latest Hyperspin update fix, since HyperLaunch and HyperTheme were also updated, I use the backed up Hypertheme instead, no clue why it happened.

In case anyone has this crashing problems and want to give it a try, I'm posting my HyperTheme.

HyperTheme.exe

1 hour ago, adamg said:

Thanks Aorin, I appreciate that.  It worked fine there.  Not sure what was going on with the version i got from the standard download.

Taking a wild guess, this version, prior to the latest works here because I'm using Windows 10 LTSB, which only receives security updates, maybe the fixed version works for the normal Windows 10 builds, maybe you use this version?

Anyway, if people are having similar crashes, it will be nice to have this HyperTheme version in the downloads section as a separate file.

Given how far HyperSpin has been stretched from it's original scope with the passing of different technologies, standards and file formats it's kind of miraculous (well probably more a testament to an inventive community) that this front end can even still hang with the half dozen much newer and better supported programs out there.

We seem to get these threads every few months where there is some sort of sad lament about moving on, I guess maybe that is a testament to how sad it can be to let go of something you spent a lot of time with. 

HyperSpin seemed to be the best option for 4:3 when I started with it a few years ago, not sure if that is still the case but it still works great for it's original intended purpose.

Archived