Jump to content
dedos

PC upgrade for MAME arcade

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, been using Hyperspin for quite some time and it's time for a technical upgrade of the ole Mame arcade.  I currently have a PC in an old 28' Mortal Kombat 2 cabinet.  I gutted it and put in a 28 inch TV as the monitor.  I use the s-video input from the PC and it works perfectly.

The problem:

I'm upgrading the PC to a min Dell i5 3040 which my options are DVI or HDMI.  I'm trying to find a good converter cause i don't want to replace the monitor.

Question:

Does anyone have any recommendations or solutions to go from a DVI /HDMI connector to an s-video?  Any recommendations on a good converter that has been tested and experienced?  I tried that regular yellow video composite converter and that purely sucked.

 

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

 

-Dedoska

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both s-video and cvbs sucks in terms of image quality, I've used the HTPC on a CRT for some years. Consider upgrading to a cheap LED monitor/TV, today the CRT shaders works  really good in MAME and RetroArch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeh the yellow cable won't cut it. 

People will always trash on svideo but as someone who also runs an svideo (to component) out to a CRT setup it isn't as bad an option as people make out (I think there is some dependency on tv model which is why there's so many conflicting views) , still better than an LED by a long way. I think people forget you can utilise shaders running to a CRT also to help smooth resolution and add scanlines.

How far do you need to upgrade and why? Your best option as far as image goes is to get a late Radeon HD card that supports analogue dvi and output through that using crtemudriver for the correct resolutions. You should be able to find something beefy enough to run anything made for a CRT.

I'm in the against camp as far as ditching a CRT in favour of an led (especially an original arcade monitor) but if your aim is to run newer stuff, the shaders are decent enough as a compromise.

You are going to find few other options I'm afraid that convert digital signal to analogue in a satisfactory way. (Though if you do please publish your results)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rowr14 said:

Yeh the yellow cable won't cut it. 

People will always trash on svideo but as someone who also runs an svideo (to component) out to a CRT setup it isn't as bad an option as people make out (I think there is some dependency on tv model which is why there's so many conflicting views) , still better than an LED by a long way. I think people forget you can utilise shaders running to a CRT also to help smooth resolution and add scanlines.

How far do you need to upgrade and why? Your best option as far as image goes is to get a late Radeon HD card that supports analogue dvi and output through that using crtemudriver for the correct resolutions. You should be able to find something beefy enough to run anything made for a CRT.

I'm in the against camp as far as ditching a CRT in favour of an led (especially an original arcade monitor) but if your aim is to run newer stuff, the shaders are decent enough as a compromise.

You are going to find few other options I'm afraid that convert digital signal to analogue in a satisfactory way. (Though if you do please publish your results)

Interesting. If it was me I would have been looking at buying a 2nd hand Nvidia GTS 250 1GB GPU (which is PCI-E), they're cheap and do have the S-video output. Although from what I remember video out over s-video was pretty blurry. 

Of course this all really depends on what that Dell PC is! Sounds like he's wanting an adapter to use the iGPU rather than a dedicated GPU. A dedicated GPU makes more sense to be honest. If it's a Small form factor case, the hardware can be ripped out of it and "bread boarded" inside the cabinet. He might well need a new PSU too (even if it's just to power the GPU), as we don't know what he has. Some of the OEM PC's have weird motherboards that don't even have 24pin connections!

Not knocking your suggestion BUT I do know ATi/AMD GPUs have piss poor performance for the openGL API. Even it is just a cabinet for Mame games, personally I'd like to run stuff like Taito Type X/Nesica X Live arcade games too. These "old Taito Arcade PCs" ran Nvidia 7000 series GPUs, so a GTS 250 being newer should be able to handle those games just fine.

I think there were some Nvidia 7000 series GPUs that are PCI-E that can put out a good quality image to crt. Been a looong time since I played around with CRT so I'd have to do some homework 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 12:55 AM, Honosuseri said:

Interesting. If it was me I would have been looking at buying a 2nd hand Nvidia GTS 250 1GB GPU (which is PCI-E), they're cheap and do have the S-video output. Although from what I remember video out over s-video was pretty blurry. 

Of course this all really depends on what that Dell PC is! Sounds like he's wanting an adapter to use the iGPU rather than a dedicated GPU. A dedicated GPU makes more sense to be honest. If it's a Small form factor case, the hardware can be ripped out of it and "bread boarded" inside the cabinet. He might well need a new PSU too (even if it's just to power the GPU), as we don't know what he has. Some of the OEM PC's have weird motherboards that don't even have 24pin connections!

Not knocking your suggestion BUT I do know ATi/AMD GPUs have piss poor performance for the openGL API. Even it is just a cabinet for Mame games, personally I'd like to run stuff like Taito Type X/Nesica X Live arcade games too. These "old Taito Arcade PCs" ran Nvidia 7000 series GPUs, so a GTS 250 being newer should be able to handle those games just fine.

I think there were some Nvidia 7000 series GPUs that are PCI-E that can put out a good quality image to crt. Been a looong time since I played around with CRT so I'd have to do some homework 

 

Yeah I was kind of steering more towards the ati cards for the option to run the games in the original resolutions which will give you the best image. It's worth noting that I believe the latest crtemudrivers (the drivers that support low resolution output through an analogue dvi) support newer amd cards also so that should account for performance. As far as I understand there is no simple way to output low resolutions on nvidia cards though my info could be outdated.

Are the nvidia 7000 gpu's you are referring to outputting through svideo? I actually use an svideo out from a gtx 260 black and it's pretty decent. You cant beat original resolutions but tweaking shader settings through retroarch can get things pretty damn close.

You are correct though this all depends what the PC is and what the use case/budget is! More info would help us to better recommend what you need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 2:54 PM, Rowr14 said:

You are correct though this all depends what the PC is and what the use case/budget is! More info would help us to better recommend what you need.

I don't really want to comment further, as I'm no longer up to speed on using CRT. Good to know you use a configuration similar to what I suggested, it seems to suit your needs ok :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...