Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Understanding Daphne, using RetroArch

Honosuseri

As you probably know there is a RetroArch core to play Daphne games BUT currently it's broken! I wish the developer luck getting the official core stable.

Thanks to @Reznnate. We now have access again to the working test core (HERE: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1frcFNWPinSkfyafsBXsnfHd46_kS1yIY). We can install this .so file through a new feature in RA, an install core option under "load cores" has been added. I've put together a video to help you peeps understand the Daphne game files and the settings required to get the games playing through RA and Hyperspin. I hope it's of help to some of you....

Daphne can be a confusing system to configure, there is something I should have explained better in the video.

The first line of the framefile text file, is as I said the path line. If a "." is there it's stating the files of the "tracks" listed are located in the same folder as that .txt file. SO...my original Bega.txt file was correct BUT for that to work, you would need to put all those game files in the framefile folder along with the .txt files. 

I consider that a lazy/messy way of doing it, which is why I said it was "wrong". I prefer to have the game files kept in their appropriate folders, just having the .txt files in the framefile folder. As shown edit the first line of each game's .txt file, to point to the game folder where the media files are located.

• Honosuseri changed the title to Understanding Daphne, using RetroArch
  • 4 months later...

Hi Honosunseri,

Please could you help me as i have been trying to solve this for hours.

I am already pretty good i think when it comes to android and hyper spin etc and I have followed your instructions very carefully and i believe very properly.

However, Daphne on my nvidia shield tv using RetroArch 1.7.7 and the test core you linked still isn't working for me.

I have tried to run cobra command rom directly in RetroArch before even going to the next stage with hypertspin integration and it either fails to load content or crashes RetroArch completely.

I have the zip roms in the rom folder, the games in Emulators/Daphne/Daphne in individually named folders that matching  .txt frame files that i have placed in the frame file folder . I have also edited the .txt files with the correct path as you described.

But no matter which rom i try and run directly in retroarch , ace, lair, cobra command etc..none will run they all say failed to load content?

Please please help as i can't understand why yours is working in the vid 

Cheers

Guy

18 minutes ago, guybark said:

also just to add..the games are running fine on my MacBook pro using the same media / .m2v, ogg  files i am trying tio use on android set up

Cheers

Guy

Are you using the 64bit version of RetroArch? It doesn't work with that sadly!

I've recently reverted back to 1.7.7 (32bit) from 1.7.8 (which defaults to 64bit on STV). Daphne plays fine for me from RetroArch and Hyperspin with the test core.

Hi,

i am think i am using 32bit ..its definitely version 1.7.7 from the stable build, android download section of the retroarch website... i had the option of retroarch.apk or retroarchaa64.apk so i downloaded retroarch.apk as i presume that is 32bit version?

i installed the daphne core and it shows as daphne v0.04

8 minutes ago, guybark said:

Hi,

i am think i am using 32bit ..its definitely version 1.7.7 from the stable build, android download section of the retroarch website... i had the option of retroarch.apk or retroarchaa64.apk so i downloaded retroarch.apk as i presume that is 32bit version?

i installed the daphne core and it shows as daphne v0.04

Sounds right. Have you stopped google playstore from auto updating? It's possible it has updated you to 1.7.8

I am also using a usb hard drive as adopted storage..retroarch shows the path to games as /storage/emulated/0/Hyperspin/Emulators/Daphne/Daphne/“game name”

however X-plore shows the path to games As /sdcard/Hyperspin/Emulators/Daphne/Daphne/“game name”

so now i am really confused 

7 hours ago, guybark said:

Do i have to set something up in android to tell it how to play m2v files beforehand ?

No. I have no clue why you can't get it working. Works fine for me and other people who have followed in my footsteps. I had someone asking me just last week, I pointed him to the RA 1.7.7 (32bit) download. He got it working and then asked how to add coins to start the game (FYI: click left thumb stick).

16 minutes ago, guybark said:

I am at a loss? Could it be the media files i am using then Are the wrong ones even though they work perfectly on mac? Or could the version of android tv i am using be causing the issue..i am in the latest version ..are you ?

I don't use Apple crap I have no idea. My STV was updated recently so is up to date. I'm sorry but I don't know why you are having problems.

I'd suggest you proceed and configure it with Hyperspin. I seem to recall when I tested the alpha core on it's release that the games didn't load manually in RA BUT Hyperspin did load them. Give it a go and see what happens.

Still no joy I'm afraid...please could you check if any of your m2v files play just by clicking on them in the x-plore files app? 

my ogg files play absolutely fine  in the native android player but when i click on the m2v file is just says “cannot play this video” 

i am wondering if this could be the problem?

i have attached a video clip showing what i mean

thanks

guy

11 minutes ago, guybark said:

Sorry, but yes i have updated the assets and still hyperspin crashes back to main menu ...do you have a l8nk to the version of hyperspin you using please maybe i have a bad version although all my other systems work fine 

I use the one off the playstore. I don't use Zero Jay's modded apk, I'm not interested in using the 64bit version of RA I just had it for testing purposes.

Oh ok...i am still stuck then...damn

the only thing i can think of is my m2v files are wrong  as they wont play in android natively ..please can you send me a link to your cobra command files  or please could you try and play them in x-plore to eliminate that possibility 

many thanks

guy 

8 hours ago, guybark said:

Oh ok...i am still stuck then...damn

the only thing i can think of is my m2v files are wrong  as they wont play in android natively ..please can you send me a link to your cobra command files  or please could you try and play them in x-plore to eliminate that possibility 

many thanks

guy 

I made it very clear in that video NOT to ask me for the game files or Hyperspin media. I've already told you I can't test the m2v files, I don't have the STV with me. I'm very busy with my Commodore Amiga project for the Hyperspin community right now. I wish I had time to help everyone but I don't, that's why I make the videos. Much of what you have asked is in the video or covered in the comments section.

All the best with it, I hope you figure it out soon.

Thanks for your help..but  unfortunately i am totally baffled as i have followed your instructions to the letter , checked and double checked and it crashes back to the menu every time either when trying with retroarch or hyperspin to run the games. 

i just thought it was strange that the M2v  video files wont even play in x-plore or esfile explorer so i  have to assume thats the problem 

i only asked for the files from cobra command out of desperation and thought you were saying no to providing links to the paid  m2v for space ace etc ..so apologies i mis understood

Cheers

guy 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Honosuseri,

Really sorry to bother you again, but i am still stuck on this and I would really appreciate some further help

I have determined that i must have my path set correctly in my frame file emulated/0/Hyperspin/Emulators/Daphne/Daphne/ace/ .

The reason i know this is because i deleted the .dat file in that folder, then i ran hyperspin and selected space ace. Hyperspin crashed back to my shield tv home menu but it also created a new .dat file in that folder in the process. So the path must be correct. I tried the same test a couple of times and it kept creating a new .dat file 

So it seems to just be refusing to play the ace.m2v video file in that folder and causing the crash

I have tried playing the .m2v video file in es file explore and it will not play when i select the default standard android video player.

Although it plays fine when i select Vlc or Mx video Player.

So i was wondering if you have any other video playing apps installed on your system that i don't? or do you know which video player is playing the .m2v file on your device.

or is there a way of assigning the default app for .m2v files as either VLC or Mx Player on the nvidia shield like you can on android phones.

I know i have asked you this before and you are busy but i seem so close to cracking this now 

Please help!

Many thanks

Guy

Archived