HyperSync, HyperList and FTP are now back online ×
taz101

Controls Vanished

So my setup as of yesterday was working great - i turn on to play today and hyperspin is not responding on the joysticks neither in HS or MAME which is the only system I use. The sticks and buttons still show as working in Joytokey and I checked RL and couldnt see anything changed - any ideas?

Some weird stuff has been happening on my system where some folders seem to have deleted themselves but I have disabled all AV software etc so not that and its offline completely. Also I set all folders to Readonly previously in an attempt to stop the system making changes!

Amy help appreciated

The more info you give the better...  but even then, "folders seem to have deleted themselves" is not something that happens usually. HS/RL certainly don't delete anything.

As far as controls go, I can only give you some pointers:

1. I would not "read only" anything.

2. Not responding could be that another window has "focus", have you tried clicking somewhere on screen and see if controls are responsive then?

3. JoyToKey should only be used for things that can't be mapped directly to your gamepad (navigating HS, exiting a game, bringing up "pause"). All in game controls should be mapped directly in mame. 

Have a look HERE to see how JTK should be setup with RL.

1 hour ago, Spawk said:

The more info you give the better...  but even then, "folders seem to have deleted themselves" is not something that happens usually. HS/RL certainly don't delete anything.

2. Not responding could be that another window has "focus", have you tried clicking somewhere on screen and see if controls are responsive then?

3. JoyToKey should only be used for things that can't be mapped directly to your gamepad (navigating HS, exiting a game, bringing up "pause"). All in game controls should be mapped directly in mame. 

1. Fine will setback to normal

2. Yes, it still reponds fine on keyboard and weirdly in SOME games it works normally!!! (Terminator 2 Judgement Day) like nothing happened?

3. I did do all the controls in MAME directly but this is more for Hyperspin to be able to use the Joysticks via Joytokey? Nothing answers how it could work two days again turn on the next day and no longer working!

16 minutes ago, taz101 said:

1. Fine will setback to normal

2. Yes, it still reponds fine on keyboard and weirdly in SOME games it works normally!!! (Terminator 2 Judgement Day) like nothing happened?

3. I did do all the controls in MAME directly but this is more for Hyperspin to be able to use the Joysticks via Joytokey? Nothing answers how it could work two days again turn on the next day and no longer working!

Also checked out the guide thankyou for that. Followed it and made all the changes suggested then launched..nothing exactly the same. So frustrating and weird!! HELP :(

1 hour ago, Spawk said:

Is there anyway you could remote connect to my machine via Connectwise which I have installed? This PC literally just has HS on it no personal info I'd massively appreciate it

I possibly could... not exactly sure what I would be looking for though! In the mean time:

What OS?

Just gamepads (no arcade controls)? If yes what kind? Wired?

Use any other programs (hypermarqee, hyperxmlspin, led blinky)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Spawk said:

I possibly could... not exactly sure what I would be looking for though! In the mean time:

What OS?

Just gamepads (no arcade controls)? If yes what kind? Wired?

Use any other programs (hypermarqee, hyperxmlspin, led blinky)?

It's Win 10. No gamepads just Sanwa sticks on a Xinmo controller. No programs just LEDs behind the marquee. Simple setup really. I just run MAME as the only emulator I turned off the rest in HyperHQ 

Sorry man, busy at work a lot these days. I am really not sure what is going on with your system though.

I use Win7 and only gamepads and everything works as pictured in that thread I linked.

- Win10 is another beast altogether. I DO hear stories of people having "read only" enabled on some files. That is kind of a hack fix though, if stuff is being overwritten, generally it's because there is setting somewhere telling it to do so.

One thing I strongly suggest people do is start JTK from the windows startup folder not HQ!  I don't know if I can explain it right... but when you launch an app from within another app, it becomes a "child" of the ap that launched it instead of it's own process. This can lead to the "focus" issues I mentioned earlier where it seems like the controls are not working but its only because HS is not the window that has "focus".

Controls are literally the hardest part of any setup. There are a lot of different ways to do stuff so some consideration must be taken as to what is going to be controlled and from where. Let's break it down but first, I am not really familiar with the xinmo controller so maybe you can help me understand. I imagine it's a control panel with it's own sort of built in keyboard encoder? So the buttons already act like keystrokes (you can easily check this by opening notepad and start trying buttons)?

If that is in fact the case then you can just map the keys to those buttons right in HQ. No need for JTK yet.

The actual joystick(s) are another issue. Assuming that they just show up in windows as such then you probably will want to map them in JTK... but only for the 2 HS profiles (1 outside RL and 1 inside) and the RL profile (but not the buttons if they are already keystrokes).

That's literally all there is, if anything in-game doesn't work, then I would look at deleting the relative cfg file in the mame folder and resetting them to your liking right in mame.

The only thing in the mame JTK profile should be your "escape" to exit emulator (useful for using button combos to invoke but not necessary for single button as mame itself lets you set an exit emulator key) and possibly "p" for RL's "Pause" if you plan on using it.

Do you have a back up? I have a Roms drive in my cab that did home my 200gb Hyperspin backup. But whilst in lockdown I stripped a 500gb drive out of an old Tivo box, so that now holds the backup. Sometimes EDS which I use for my marquee fails so I can quickly fix by moving the backup files. 

Whilst working on my cab I updated JoyToKey which broken my Commodore 64 combo buttons for Warp and swap joysticks. So I reverted back to an earlier version, I don't know if @Spawkhas experienced that.

Finally Rocklauncher had (or was it me?) unchecked to use the key mapper so some system were not working. 

3 hours ago, gigapig said:

Do you have a back up? I have a Roms drive in my cab that did home my 200gb Hyperspin backup. But whilst in lockdown I stripped a 500gb drive out of an old Tivo box, so that now holds the backup. Sometimes EDS which I use for my marquee fails so I can quickly fix by moving the backup files. 

Whilst working on my cab I updated JoyToKey which broken my Commodore 64 combo buttons for Warp and swap joysticks. So I reverted back to an earlier version, I don't know if @Spawkhas experienced that.

Finally Rocklauncher had (or was it me?) unchecked to use the key mapper so some system were not working. 

People keep talking about backups but I didnt know what to backup persay I mean is there a file that holds ALL settings? I can't obviously backup the whole install it is terrabytes 

8 hours ago, Spawk said:

Sorry man, busy at work a lot these days. I am really not sure what is going on with your system though.

I use Win7 and only gamepads and everything works as pictured in that thread I linked.

- Win10 is another beast altogether. I DO hear stories of people having "read only" enabled on some files. That is kind of a hack fix though, if stuff is being overwritten, generally it's because there is setting somewhere telling it to do so.

One thing I strongly suggest people do is start JTK from the windows startup folder not HQ!  I don't know if I can explain it right... but when you launch an app from within another app, it becomes a "child" of the ap that launched it instead of it's own process. This can lead to the "focus" issues I mentioned earlier where it seems like the controls are not working but its only because HS is not the window that has "focus".

Controls are literally the hardest part of any setup. There are a lot of different ways to do stuff so some consideration must be taken as to what is going to be controlled and from where. Let's break it down but first, I am not really familiar with the xinmo controller so maybe you can help me understand. I imagine it's a control panel with it's own sort of built in keyboard encoder? So the buttons already act like keystrokes (you can easily check this by opening notepad and start trying buttons)?

If that is in fact the case then you can just map the keys to those buttons right in HQ. No need for JTK yet.

The actual joystick(s) are another issue. Assuming that they just show up in windows as such then you probably will want to map them in JTK... but only for the 2 HS profiles (1 outside RL and 1 inside) and the RL profile (but not the buttons if they are already keystrokes).

That's literally all there is, if anything in-game doesn't work, then I would look at deleting the relative cfg file in the mame folder and resetting them to your liking right in mame.

The only thing in the mame JTK profile should be your "escape" to exit emulator (useful for using button combos to invoke but not necessary for single button as mame itself lets you set an exit emulator key) and possibly "p" for RL's "Pause" if you plan on using it.

Yea i've tried in HQ enabling the joysticks it does response in HS but goes mental like you click down then it keeps going and going and going then eventually stops responding at all

3 minutes ago, taz101 said:

People keep talking about backups but I didnt know what to backup persay I mean is there a file that holds ALL settings? I can't obviously backup the whole install it is terrabytes 

I assumed as you only use mame the actual Hyperspin install would be quite small. 

I would back up everything except ROMs because if you've spent many hours creating this beast you don't want to be starting from scratch. 

You can use a program like GoodSync to sync only the files you want. As Gigapig said, backup everything except ROMs (at least the big sets to save space)

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

3 hours ago, taz101 said:

Yea i've tried in HQ enabling the joysticks it does response in HS but goes mental like you click down then it keeps going and going and going then eventually stops responding at all

Nowhere in there do I imply to do such a thing. This "bug" is one of the main reasons we use JTK in the first place. I was only referring to mapping the buttons in the "keyboard" section if they act like keystrokes.  You never answered, do your buttons act like keystrokes or gamepad buttons?

1 hour ago, Spawk said:

Nowhere in there do I imply to do such a thing. This "bug" is one of the main reasons we use JTK in the first place. I was only referring to mapping the buttons in the "keyboard" section if they act like keystrokes.  You never answered, do your buttons act like keystrokes or gamepad buttons?

My bad, my buttons are keystrokes 

2 hours ago, taz101 said:

My bad, my buttons are keystrokes 

ok great so only the direction arrows need to be in the JTK profile. All the buttons should be mapped in directly in the keyboard section of HQ.

A concept that may not be obvious is that if you are going to use JTK, and your going to let RL handle the JTK profiles, they will NOT work when you first turn on hyperspin! This is simply due to the fact that RL has itself not loaded until you select your first game. This is why you need 2 HS profiles (one in JTK itself). You have this profile right?

There's just not a lot to go wrong if your settings are proper. Either RL is loading the profiles or it's not. If it is loading them and still no response, then the usual culprit is that HS does not have "focus". This is easily diagnosed by clicking with a mouse on screen and waiting 1-2, seconds then seeing if the controls become responsive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spawk said:

ok great so only the direction arrows need to be in the JTK profile. All the buttons should be mapped in directly in the keyboard section of HQ.

A concept that may not be obvious is that if you are going to use JTK, and your going to let RL handle the JTK profiles, they will NOT work when you first turn on hyperspin! This is simply due to the fact that RL has itself not loaded until you select your first game. This is why you need 2 HS profiles (one in JTK itself). You have this profile right?

There's just not a lot to go wrong if your settings are proper. Either RL is loading the profiles or it's not. If it is loading them and still no response, then the usual culprit is that HS does not have "focus". This is easily diagnosed by clicking with a mouse on screen and waiting 1-2, seconds then seeing if the controls become responsive.

Dude why dont you connect to my system and solve this mystery :)

Can you guys see anything out of sorts on the images above? One thing I found weird is my setup uses POV rather than directions on JTK (does highlight in yellow when you move sticks around) so I figured this isnt a hardware issue more software/setup

I can't see anything obvious.

Not sure why you would show the pic of RL profile though. That one is only used when you activate RL's pause feature... and you wouldn't be able to navigate pause with that profile because it's blank.

If we are concerned with navigating HS then a pic of both HS profiles would be better. If your joysticks act like POV, then the arrow direction keys should be mapped in that area on both profiles.

4 hours ago, Spawk said:

I can't see anything obvious.

Not sure why you would show the pic of RL profile though. That one is only used when you activate RL's pause feature... and you wouldn't be able to navigate pause with that profile because it's blank.

If we are concerned with navigating HS then a pic of both HS profiles would be better. If your joysticks act like POV, then the arrow direction keys should be mapped in that area on both profiles.

103937073_263309248326629_5770504181574081125_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_oc=AQn90747I5zFVxsSyPY2UE6vUlyMSqWJLRpm_QKf5GhYAHq4IWUQW2wsdKaEYO1SXV-Sq8xBE269SUG_UsHLzMNX&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr3-1.fna&oh=dcc91826b20e30aca0af495dac6764ad&oe=5F081A1F

103968548_269992544116495_7377804785541232879_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_oc=AQkBSkijOZJpcgf552OPol1RLjBPeuURYqAw_G31agN-i-8CoOdTYmIauKUhqovCW1BsvprfCrMrGu6EX5LBSoCl&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr3-2.fna&oh=331b55a17fb3110e55570d1f3b5d5585&oe=5F07B331

Ok so a couple of things.

That “DEFAULT” profile should only be in JTK itself... outside of RL. I only use it so that the “enter” and “escape” commands that are in the HS profile don’t get accidentally pushed when I first turn on my pc.

Also, you stated that your joysticks acted like POV so the arrows should be mapped to there instead of “stick 1” in both HS profiles. This leads me to think that the xinmo has some way of switching from analog (sticks) to digital (POV). This would explain why it stopped working. You could try mapping the arrows to both stick1 and POV and it should work in either mode.

Is there a reason why L is still mapped in that profile? Buttons work now mapped through HQ right?

5 hours ago, Spawk said:

Ok so a couple of things.

That “DEFAULT” profile should only be in JTK itself... outside of RL. I only use it so that the “enter” and “escape” commands that are in the HS profile don’t get accidentally pushed when I first turn on my pc.

Also, you stated that your joysticks acted like POV so the arrows should be mapped to there instead of “stick 1” in both HS profiles. This leads me to think that the xinmo has some way of switching from analog (sticks) to digital (POV). This would explain why it stopped working. You could try mapping the arrows to both stick1 and POV and it should work in either mode.

Is there a reason why L is still mapped in that profile? Buttons work now mapped through HQ right?

Ok so that worked - Hyperspin now responds perfectly but ONLY if you have JTK open from RL! I have to physically open RL then open the JTK profile for it to work. As I had set my cab to autoboot from PC startup into Hyperspin. I have set JTK to launch in windows startup but still didnt work? 

Also may I ask one other question? I'd like to get Hypersearch mapped to a key that I can press any idea how? This isnt via a wheel option as I only want to see my MAME games no sub wheels, just a button that launches Hypersearch