HyperSync, HyperList and FTP are now back online ×
taz101

Controls Vanished

Sounds like RL is just using default values. Go to “edit global module settings” for mame in RLUI and tell it to use the ini files from mame itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Fire up a game via Rocketlaucher if that is launching mame. 

Set all your controls under general after hitting tab. You can also set trackballs and spinners etc as well. 

Once done close the game and find the default.cfg file found in the cfg folder. 

Copy the file and paste it into the ctrlr folder. Open folder and rename the default file to something familiar to you like 'taz101 controls'. 

Now head to you mame ini folder and open the mame ini or vertical or horizont or maybe all 3 if you have them. You probably just have mame.ini though. 

Once the ini is open look for 'core input options. 

Find ctrlr and put in quotes the name of your ctrlr file e.g.

ctrlr      "taz101 controls" 

Save it. 

That should be it but please refer to the other guide as well because this is off the top of my head. 

18 hours ago, gigapig said:

Fire up a game via Rocketlaucher if that is launching mame. 

Set all your controls under general after hitting tab. You can also set trackballs and spinners etc as well. 

Once done close the game and find the default.cfg file found in the cfg folder. 

Copy the file and paste it into the ctrlr folder. Open folder and rename the default file to something familiar to you like 'taz101 controls'. 

Now head to you mame ini folder and open the mame ini or vertical or horizont or maybe all 3 if you have them. You probably just have mame.ini though. 

Once the ini is open look for 'core input options. 

Find ctrlr and put in quotes the name of your ctrlr file e.g.

ctrlr      "taz101 controls" 

Save it. 

That should be it but please refer to the other guide as well because this is off the top of my head. 

So firstly there is only one mame.ini right? 

I found it but inside there’s no ‘core input options’ or ctrlr? 

also when I’m in a game, button 2 exits back to HS wheel indicating it is using the ‘back’ that I assigned to ‘Esc’ key 

What version and flavor of mame are you running?

Some flavors store it in different folders. Mame64 has it's mam.ini in the root folder and Arcade64 has it's mame.ini in the ini folder. You should only have 1 though unless you tried to install 2 flavors to the same location. This is what that section looks like:

_mame-ini-ctrlr.thumb.PNG.9b0f7ad56b83c54b508fb7db8023255a.PNG

1 hour ago, taz101 said:

also when I’m in a game, button 2 exits back to HS wheel indicating it is using the ‘back’ that I assigned to ‘Esc’ key 

1. don't create the default config through RL, this is what we are trying to setup. create it in mame itself.

2. make sure JTK is not running while you do this. "Esc" key???

Finally, make sure you go into "edit global module settings" here:

RL-mame-(ini)-videomode.thumb.PNG.29f4937a5e4f6359aa2f2c8050f0e1d0.PNG

This is all the stuff RL needs to know. You can hover your mouse over all the "i" symbols for a description of each setting.

Ok guys..I am close to my wits end with this bloody thing now. Remeber I said before how it weirdly changed/deleted stuff? Well..its done it AGAIN

I literally just turn it on this morning to make the changes you suggested and boom, JTK profile is RL is GONE..open HS and try to run a game it errors saying cant find MAME ahk file. I go into RL and the path is BLANK..then another path is blank. 

HOW can it bloody make changes like this without me asking it?????

Oh man, this is not something I personally will be able to help with. I have just never seen or heard anything like it. Honestly it sounds like the beginning of HDD failure, or possibly a virus, or virus/malware programs? Maybe Win10 is the culprit??? Did an update happen?

4 minutes ago, Spawk said:

Oh man, this is not something I personally will be able to help with. I have just never seen or heard anything like it. Honestly it sounds like the beginning of HDD failure, or possibly a virus, or virus/malware programs? Maybe Win10 is the culprit??? Did an update happen?

Yes its crazy but appreciate all your help. In spending too much time on this tbh and dont think it will ever just be all done where I can fire it up and play, something will always be off

I know this isnt relevant here but was thinking maybe of switching to Retropie as all I want is MAME. Do you know if that just 'works' kinda thing with less config to go wrong?

3 hours ago, Spawk said:

Or I might just start over delete and reinstall completly disabling the WIFI so no way of any update but id always have the worry of stuff changing I think

I really don't think you are having any config issues per say, this stuff just doesn't disappear because of a setting somewhere. Something more serious is happening on your PC IMO. You should have zero worries about anything disappearing. You can probably confirm this with the possibly hundreds of thousands of people who have an HS setup. It is a bitch to setup as a new user and it has a steep learning curve, but when you do get it, it works.

When you say the JTK profile is gone, do you mean the file is no longer in the windows folder? or is the file there and just the setting in RL deleted? Same with the mame.ahk? Maybe a screenshot of the actual error? Maybe a new RL log might help??? If you try to "run as admin" (not usually needed or recommended), then make sure to run all the programs you use in your setup as admin.

Don't be afraid to start over either. I have done so several times over the years and not only do I understand the way things work better each time, the final product gets better every time I do.

The Pi's popularity sure seems to suggest that it would in fact be "easier" to setup. Definitely an option especially if you are only concerned with 80's and early 90's arcade. Not really my cup of tea though. I want the extra power to include a few systems. And I like to use some of the more advanced shaders that make my TV/LCD look like a CRT.

Update: So out of desperation I reinstalled Windows 10 after formatting to ensure no virus was the issue. When I got to run hyperspin.exe off my external HDD nothing happens? JTK, RL etc all fire up fine with the settings still there, MAME runs independently just nothing from HS or HyperHQ that also just eggtimes then nothing. Both still running from same directory location

2 hours ago, taz101 said:

Update: So out of desperation I reinstalled Windows 10 after formatting to ensure no virus was the issue. When I got to run hyperspin.exe off my external HDD nothing happens? JTK, RL etc all fire up fine with the settings still there, MAME runs independently just nothing from HS or HyperHQ that also just eggtimes then nothing. Both still running from same directory location

Could it be your new install of Windows 10 has the new 2004 update? If so you need this. 

1 hour ago, gigapig said:

Could it be your new install of Windows 10 has the new 2004 update? If so you need this. 

Thanks - I tried your fix but under Windows.old theres nothing windows related just Desktop and other stuff. I did find the Windows update also here

Copied HS and HQ.exe's but same thing nothing happening. 

That link is from 2018 so nothing to do with this recent Windows update. 

First confirm you have the recent Windows update, so look at your Windows version which maybe be 2004.

If it is copy the dll file in the download I linked to and put it in the root of your Hyperspin folder. 

1 hour ago, gigapig said:

That link is from 2018 so nothing to do with this recent Windows update. 

First confirm you have the recent Windows update, so look at your Windows version which maybe be 2004.

If it is copy the dll file in the download I linked to and put it in the root of your Hyperspin folder. 

Checked and it is 2004 build I have. Copied the .DLL but same issue. I can see HS.exe opens in Task Manager and it usage shows as 'Very High' not sure if thats normal but still won't launch

8 minutes ago, taz101 said:

Checked and it is 2004 build I have. Copied the .DLL but same issue. I can see HS.exe opens in Task Manager and it usage shows as 'Very High' not sure if thats normal but still won't launch

Did it again and it worked, no idea why it didnt was same 39kb file but thanks :)

• Like 1

Incredibly I’m back to where I was with everything working except bloody JTK closing when you exit a game argh