Jump to content
cooke

Fix it Felix and exiting to Hyperspin issue. (And check out this awesome cabinet.)

Recommended Posts

Hello,
I am working to help out a friend with a beautiful Fix it Felix cabinet that is running Hyperspin on a Windows 7 PC. The only emulators installed are Mame and the FiF 5.3 wrapper. I'm having two seemingly small issues, but I can't resolve either of them and they're driving me nuts. 

1. When exiting from Mame to the main Hyperspin wheel, everything works great. But when I try to exit FiF to go back to the main wheel, Hyperspin remains in the "background" and the Windows taskbar is visible at the bottom of the screen. In order to get back to Hyperspin, I need to use the mouse to click. This is the only thing that will work. If I "alt+F4" FiF, it goes back to Hyperspin no problem. I'm trying to make this machine completely independent of the mouse and keyboard so having to click on Hyperspin to bring it to the foreground is an issue. Can you suggest a solution? 

2. I cannot exit Hyperspin via the control panel. I have to run task manager to get out of Hyperspin. Ideally, I'd like exiting Hyperspin to shut down the system completely. And I'd like to make this happen via the p1 + p2 start buttons. 

I have messed with the exit options within HyperHQ, but changing them seems to have zero effect at all. 

Any help from this knowledgeable community would be very greatly appreciated. 

I've attached a photo of the cabinet so you can see the amazing work my buddy has done on it. He is a magician when it comes to details. 

Thanks in advance, 
Corey

Felix.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing, that's a great looking cab you got there! I had heard of this game before but I never really noticed it wasn't in the MAME set.

1. Not sure exactly what to say for this. It's unclear if you are using RL or not but it has options for "ExitMethod" and "AppWaitExe" for this kind of thing with PC games

2. As far as I know there is no simple way to change the exit HS keys without affecting the "back" function. You just keep pressing back till you get the "Yes/No Exit" prompt. You can change the default action for Yes (exit to windows or shutdown pc) in HQ. If any of the options don't seem to be sticking, I would think your HS settings.ini is "read only" or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Spawk said:

Thanks for sharing, that's a great looking cab you got there! I had heard of this game before but I never really noticed it wasn't in the MAME set.

1. Not sure exactly what to say for this. It's unclear if you are using RL or not but it has options for "ExitMethod" and "AppWaitExe" for this kind of thing with PC games

2. As far as I know there is no simple way to change the exit HS keys without affecting the "back" function. You just keep pressing back till you get the "Yes/No Exit" prompt. You can change the default action for Yes (exit to windows or shutdown pc) in HQ. If any of the options don't seem to be sticking, I would think your HS settings.ini is "read only" or something.

 

4 hours ago, Spawk said:

Thanks for sharing, that's a great looking cab you got there! I had heard of this game before but I never really noticed it wasn't in the MAME set.

1. Not sure exactly what to say for this. It's unclear if you are using RL or not but it has options for "ExitMethod" and "AppWaitExe" for this kind of thing with PC games

2. As far as I know there is no simple way to change the exit HS keys without affecting the "back" function. You just keep pressing back till you get the "Yes/No Exit" prompt. You can change the default action for Yes (exit to windows or shutdown pc) in HQ. If any of the options don't seem to be sticking, I would think your HS settings.ini is "read only" or something.

Thanks for your message. I managed to solve the #2 issue by going into the settings.ini file and changing the exit enabled to true. For some reason this wasn't sticking within HyperHQ. Of course, now that I've modified the ini file, changing the setting within HyperHQ does seem to work, so you might be onto something with the read only part. 

I am not using Rocketlaunch for FiF, and, to be honest, I do not know how. Any chance you could walk me through it? 

Thanks for your time. 

Corey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. MAME is a command line driven emulator.   you can load it directly from HyperHQ  and exit with one key press.

FiF is a PC game that needs a module to correctly close the game.

you can either use RL and load and exit the game  with the PC Game settings.

or good luck finding a Hyperlaunch2.0 module to accomplish this through HyperHQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cooke said:

 

Thanks for your message. I managed to solve the #2 issue by going into the settings.ini file and changing the exit enabled to true. For some reason this wasn't sticking within HyperHQ. Of course, now that I've modified the ini file, changing the setting within HyperHQ does seem to work, so you might be onto something with the read only part. 

I am not using Rocketlaunch for FiF, and, to be honest, I do not know how. Any chance you could walk me through it? 

Thanks for your time. 

Corey

If you are not using RL, I don't know how much help I can be for you. I would get hold of the author of that "wrapper" and find out why the game isn't exiting correctly... or simply find a way to send "Alt+F4" from your CP.

If you are using RL, then simply add a "PC Games" system. You will need an XML, look at any other one you find around here for the formatting. Something like this:

FiF.thumb.PNG.9d994078820f423cdc9ca6c11a1e4355.PNG

Then you can set the exit method specifically to "Alt+F4" for this game if you cannot get it to close cleanly naturally. Access module settings here:

rl-pclauncher.thumb.PNG.c61cf81d3230ba6ca8d54bb7e3369c0f.PNG

"Application" is the program used to launch the game. "AppWaitExe" is the game itself (presumably FIFJ.exe in your case). Exit method is near the bottom. If you have many PC games you can click on the "Plus" symbol and a pop up list of all your games will allow you to chose one to make these settings for individual games.

Maybe I will try to find the time to find and DL it in the next day or so and I can try it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have FIFJ on my cab via Rocketlauncher but its not necessary to use RL you can add it directly to the Hyperspin main menu and it does close and return to Hyperspin without losing focus. So it's possible something else that is running on your system is stealing focus. 

To exit the game I have a key combo set in the settings app and that's all. I'm sure your using the same files as me from Dragon King. 

This is the simplest method 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, Spawk for your detailed guide, however I am not using RL. 

Giga, I am running that version and have set it up in the very same way that video suggests. You might be right that something might be stealing focus, but I can't figure out what that would be. This system is a fresh install with nothing on it but Hyperspin. The key combination I'm using is P1+P2, which is just Esc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2021 at 8:42 PM, cooke said:

Thank you, Spawk for your detailed guide, however I am not using RL. 

Giga, I am running that version and have set it up in the very same way that video suggests. You might be right that something might be stealing focus, but I can't figure out what that would be. This system is a fresh install with nothing on it but Hyperspin. The key combination I'm using is P1+P2, which is just Esc. 

Does force closing with alt-f4 have the same affect?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...