Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Pinball Electrical 101

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nah i think it has to be the 12v PSU, because as soon as i unplug the PSU the interferance stops :hmmmm:

I also have my Backglass montior plugged into the same graphics card as the DMD monitor and that doesnt show any interferance what so ever, but i am using a HDMI to DVI cable for that display though

Bet the amp in the subwoofer is picking up the rfi from the psu and injecting it into the system. Mine rings a split second before my cellphone actually does if I'm next to the cab with the phone in my pocket. Being as you're using vga to output the dmd (anymore acronyms I can use here?:afraid:) and it's an analogue output, it would be prone to interference.

There's next to no shielding in the design of computer speaker amps, just a board screwed inside.

"Yes! This guide rocks! 10/10" - gStAv MAGAZINE :D

Perfect score from the highly aclaimed gStAv Magazine! I am honnered Gstav.

I like to thank my wife for her support and all of my team, well by team I mean Chris...... (Cuts to commercial to stop the rantings of a mad man) :P

hi ben cool tutorial, thanks

only thing i was wondering was i have 24v contactors how is the best wy to wire them they dont run well on 12v i have a 12v pc power supply running all 12v and a 24v seperate supply can this be used and if it can how do i wire the ground as the 12v ground is in the led wiz. i did have a cheap contactor 24v set up before and it went faulty and the coil melted and fried part of my ledwiz, any help appreciated :)

hi ben cool tutorial, thanks

only thing i was wondering was i have 24v contactors how is the best wy to wire them they dont run well on 12v i have a 12v pc power supply running all 12v and a 24v separate supply can this be used and if it can how do i wire the ground as the 12v ground is in the led wiz. i did have a cheap contactor 24v set up before and it went faulty and the coil melted and fried part of my ledwiz, any help appreciated :)

The easiest way that I can see is to put the 24 + onto one of the voltage selection banks on your ledwiz and 12 volts onto the others. Then wire all of your contactors to one ledwiz bank, i.e. bank (1-8) 24 volts, bank (9-16) (17-24) (25-32) all 12 volts.

What went faulty to cause the ledwiz to let the magic smoke out??

I am going to add a section in the tutorial soon on how to safely wire multiple power supplies with a common ground point. There seems to be a bit of a concern with wiring the two negatives together but I want to do some testing with the LEDwiz to confirm my theories before I get a hundred emails telling me that their LEDwiz decided to give a pyrotechnics show.

The easiest way that I can see is to put the 24 + onto one of the voltage selection banks on your ledwiz and 12 volts onto the others. Then wire all of your contactors to one ledwiz bank, i.e. bank (1-8) 24 volts, bank (9-16) (17-24) (25-32) all 12 volts.

I am going to add a section in the tutorial soon on how to safely wire multiple power supplies with a common ground point. There seems to be a bit of a concern with wiring the two negatives together but I want to do some testing with the LEDwiz to confirm my theories before I get a hundred emails telling me that their LEDwiz decided to give a pyrotechnics show.

hi max thanks for the reply

i had 2 siemens contactors 24v and 2 telemacanique 24v contactors which i had off ebay problem was they were used before so probably worn contactor started clicking like mad then i noticed smoke from led wiz the contactor was red hot ,when i pulled it apart to investigate the coil had melted together ,my only concern is if this happens again in the future can a fuse be put between the contactor and the led wiz or wont it work on the negative wire?

thanks eric

hi max thanks for the reply

i had 2 siemens contactors 24v and 2 telemacanique 24v contactors which i had off ebay problem was they were used before so probably worn contactor started clicking like mad then i noticed smoke from led wiz the contactor was red hot ,when i pulled it apart to investigate the coil had melted together ,my only concern is if this happens again in the future can a fuse be put between the contactor and the led wiz or wont it work on the negative wire?

thanks eric

You can certainly install a fuse on the negative wire. Fuses work on current draw so any current passing through the + wire will must pass through the negative and if the contactor coil shorts, a fuse would protect the ledwiz. The 12 volt contactors that I am using draw about 450mA. I am not sure what the 24 volt contactors draw but considering the ledwiz has a maximum 500 per output, I would be using a 500mA fuse and see how you go.

Thanks for the post. I will be installing them in my cabinet now and will add something in the guide for this on the next update.

hi max

got that sorted but im a bit unsure about the - ground wire off the 24v

i have the ground off all my 12v going into ledwiz but unsure what to do with ground off the 24v supply

cheers eric:stoned:

The correct way to connect up multiple power supplies is to connect both negatives from each supply to a common point then wire all negatives from all your gear back to that common point.

Please understand that this * HAS NOT BEEN TESTED *

So all usual disclaimers about house fires, imploding LEDwiz's, and male erectile dysfunction caused by anything stated here cannot be pointed at me.

(Well with that last one I guess without the magic blue pills nothing is pointing :D)

But from what I can ascertain, the LEDwiz is using the ground from the PC on the USB cable to complete the circuit of all your gear so a connection from the GND to the same common star point you make from the negatives from your power supply would be the best way. Try and keep the wires from your negatives about the same length and wires should be the same gauge. This stops any difference in the resistance of the wires putting stray voltages onto the other power supply.

multiple-power-supplies.png

Update - Sent an email to LEDwiz technical about this. The response was -" This should be fine. However, when tying multiple grounds from different supplies together, it's good practice to use a meter to make sure there is no potential between any of the grounds you intend to tie together. Usually, you can check for continuity between all of them and they will be common through the grounded mains plug. "

Edited by maxxsinner

brilliant help max, time to rock and roll , click clickety click click click

ps flash flash flash

im glad you wired the switch for god cos without you we would all be still in the dark

ps talking about male erectile dysfunction have you a diagram to wire 15 vibrators together for my shaker motor :)

ps flash flash flash

im glad you wired the switch for god cos without you we would all be still in the dark

ps talking about male erectile dysfunction have you a diagram to wire 15 vibrators together for my shaker motor :)

Glad I could help. Lol hope I dont offend any believers with that signature.

Hmmm that last one could be my next guide. Shaker motors for pinball cabinets and perment smiles on the wife :vroam:

Edited by maxxsinner

ps flash flash flash

BWAHAHA. Funny thing is, my wife manages one such type of store and I had already asked her what the strongest shaking item was with this in mind...lmao

Actually yes :D lol

OK so serious question. I have an old EM xylaphone like assembly from the machine I used that is still in working order. I assume I would wire it like a knocker (as it uses 3 knockers to hit 3 different bars giving different tones)..but they have plastic "hitters" so I think they may be less power? I'll have to double check.

My question is, is there any programming in VP or any of the scripts that you guys have made that would allow me to utilize this to make the "bell" sounds of an EM machine? Or anyone know how I would go about scripting such a thing? I thought it might be a cool unique addition to my cab.

Perhaps wiring it like the contacters you guys are using to give that "bing" sound when you hit targets and such, but only on certain tables (using the LED scripts I guess).

Sorry it's late and kind of brainstorming as I post

I can help you with the electrical side Zablon, but with the scripting I am no help.

The boys are doing a ledwiz script for all other outputs, contactors, knockers, etc so I would assume it's just a case of adjusting the script to suit your triggers and outputs.

This thread may put you on the right track.

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11584

Guest gstav

Yes, this is possible.

As long as you can assign a solenoid number or switch/lamp to the LEDWiz output it will be easy.

Just be sure that the coil dosen't take more than the max 500mA limit for the LEDWiz board or you'll need a relay for it not to burn your LEDWiz.

My 23-800 williams knocker coil also have a plastic tip, so I think it will work just fine for hitting some bells with it! :D

Just use one free gear spec, like the extra6 or extra7 for that output when you define your LEDWiz setup in the PixelMagic's LED-Wiz configuration utility

Cheers!/Gustav

Thanks for the links and info. I have never seen that thread. I think this info will get me started when I finally get around to trying it.

I am thinking I will replace my PacLED64 with 2 led-wizs. I would prefer not to as I like some of the affects I can create with that board, but since I don't think it works with the scripts, I can't adjust them to specific tables (that is beyond my knowledge how to incorporate it into that autoconfig). I will need an led-wiz anyway for the higher voltage stuff :)