Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

ArchAngel Arcade.. New Project!

RidicRick

Ok, after many request for my plans for this cab here they are. Remember I made these plans when I first built the cab and this was my FIRST time working with wood.

ArchAngel Arcade Plans

So here is my project. I own a vinyl graphics company and do a lot of work for Nvidia, Crucial, ASUS, DangerDen and many others so with all the goodies they send me I of course include there logos. This blog isnt the best since I forget to take pics mostly through it all but I hope you still enjoy it. Thanks.

I got some new tools for this project.

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3577

Yes I am a geek..

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3578

Did the design with photoshop for sides, control panel and all other pieces..

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3579

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3580

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3581

Got a side panel done to use as a template with a template bit for my router. I printed the full size template, layed it out on the sheet of wood and cut it out with a jigsaw.. then sanded it down nicely so it works great as a template

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3583

Printing the control panel template helped BIG TIME!!

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3584

My girlfriend having fun routing on the control panel.

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3585

Drilling the small guide holes before making the large holes for the buttons.

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3586

Cutting out the large front window for the plexiglass that will show off the watercooled computer.

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3587

Most of the pieces cut and the cabinet is now put together. I also added a sliding keyboard mouse tray which you will see how that works later.

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3588

I am 6 foot tall.. so this shows how big this bastard is.. lol

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3589

Here is the crazy tattoo like design I came up with in photoshop just to preview how it will look.

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3590

Getting ready to print my design.

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3591

Side one printing

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3592

Side two printing

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3593

Prints hanging up to dry

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3594

I applied the graphics. Took me about 30 min.

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3595

This is the 5th night in the shop since I started this project. I just got done mounting the 42" LCD 1080p monitor. Thanks to my girlfriend for helping me.. this was not easy. I do alot of PC gaming as well as emulators so this type of LCD was needed. It fits perfectly snug and will not move. Keyboard tray that slides out works perfect, fits mouse and keyboard and slides out just above the joysticks

picture.php?albumid=182&pictureid=3596

So tomorow I will post more pics once I get the control panel wired. I still have more cabinet work to do.. some more graphics.. and of course installing the custom computer. Hope you like my work so far. Leave comments! thanks!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, not bad at all. Looks like a 42" LCD in there... that's freaking HUGE.

The only thing I'd have to question is that control panel. Are you sure that once you have players 1 & 2 pounding on buttons that it's not going to tip over to the front? The supports for the control panel appear to be quite a bit small and could be unstable when an aggressive game is underway. I'd also be worried about the plexi idea for the base. While that's a pretty cool idea, I don't think it's the best idea. I'd be worried that someone is going to get too aggressive while playing and kick the panel. I've seen and heard it done many times at arcades and even in my own garage on my cab.

As far as the artwork goes... It's WAY too busy for my tastes. Also, the logos just don't seem right being on an arcade cabinet. The only way I would add those specific companies logos to my cab would be if the cab was being built for those companies. For my personal use, no way...

Well.. thanks for the input. I do work for those companies and they send me free stuff. Plus my graphics is seen on their cases around the world so we both do favors for each other. The computer that I am putting in it is almost completely free from working trades with them. As far as the tipping is concerned there is NO way to tip it.. we tried and it would take a hell of a guy to really get that on the ground.. he would have to beating the crap out of it and if he is doing that then I would have to do the same to him.haha... The plexi window being damaged from kicking could for sure happen, great thing is the plexi is 1/2 inch thick so it can take a pretty good beating. And if it breaks then Ill get another one. My main goal is to make my customers in my tattoo shop have fun while waiting or whatever. And the graphics, well, that is a tattoo sleeve style to fit the shop. :)

edit: if you were talking about the control panel being ripped off I have some metal brackets underneath going accross.. it should help it alot.. if not ill figure something out..

Well.. thanks for the input. I do work for those companies and they send me free stuff. Plus my graphics is seen on their cases around the world so we both do favors for each other. The computer that I am putting in it is almost completely free from working trades with them. As far as the tipping is concerned there is NO way to tip it.. we tried and it would take a hell of a guy to really get that on the ground.. he would have to beating the crap out of it and if he is doing that then I would have to do the same to him.haha... The plexi window being damaged from kicking could for sure happen, great thing is the plexi is 1/2 inch thick so it can take a pretty good beating. And if it breaks then Ill get another one. My main goal is to make my customers in my tattoo shop have fun while waiting or whatever. And the graphics, well, that is a tattoo sleeve style to fit the shop. :)

edit: if you were talking about the control panel being ripped off I have some metal brackets underneath going accross.. it should help it alot.. if not ill figure something out..

Ahh, gotcha. Sometimes it's hard to tell if a cab is going to be easy to tip based on pics alone. I like the design, nice and slim.

I didn't notice it was going in a tattoo shop... that makes more sense now on the artwork. Since it's going to be in a public location and the working trades makes the logos seem a little more appropriate.

Control panel wiring almost done 4 flippin hours so far but its nicely organized. I will post pics soon. I have built a few arcade cabinets in the past but never wired up a coin door. So my question to anyone is can I wire the coin door with the coin buttons on my panel? So basically Coin 1 you can either put a quarter in or just push the coin button? I have the iPac 4. Any help would be great.. thanks.

So my question to anyone is can I wire the coin door with the coin buttons on my panel? So basically Coin 1 you can either put a quarter in or just push the coin button?

Yes you can, just splice into the wire to go from 1 port to 2 connectors, The coin door gets 1 lead, and the button gets the other ,the coin door,if its like my midway, should have leads on the back of each coin slot, not unlike, your push button switches. I have mine set up this way, works like a charm!

yeah, that is pretty dope to say the least...the graphics are great. I just showed a buddy of mine this and he also owns a tattoo shop and said that will be a great draw for those people who merely come to the shop to support a loved one who is getting inked, or hell, even a not-so-loved one :)

great idea, great design, kudos man

Irondragon, I also used a circular saw for parts that needed a better straight cut. But yeah most of it was with jigsaw. Really the easiest part was making the first side piece, then sanding the edges down to make them near perfect and then just use a template bit with my router to make 2 identical sides with. Except the first router I had blew up for some reason.. had to buy a new one. :(

baddeolv, thanks for the input. I am wiring it all up tonight so it should be up and running and I hope to have more pics soon.

Here are two computers I have, the one on the left is completely watercooled with one GTX280. The computer on the right is my newer baby with i7 and two GTX 470's running the triple 3d monitor setup for 3d gaming. So I am going to use the computer on the left for the arcade. I will of course be changing the graphics on it to match the cabinet. But for now it will be installed in there just as is. That computer has won some contest and been in a magazine in its day last year so its time to retire it to the arcade cabinet.

pcs.jpg

trisli.jpg

That is insanely awesome! How much would it cost to get full side graphics like that? (I don't have the money or space right now for a cab, but I'd like to know for the future.) Thanx for sharing this sick cab.

Well.. yesterday was a bad day.. I broke the 42" LCD.. so this project will stop until I can afford another one. :( And a word of advice for those who build an arcade cab.. strap the control panel down before putting the arcade cabinet on its back...

brokenlcd.jpg

Archived