Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

LED-wiz alternative ?

pixelmagic

Hey Pixelmagic, do you sell a ' all in 1 package ' ( arduino + boards + software + cables) or just your selfmade boards ?

Allready thanx for your inventive actions pixel and shifter67

That is not in the plans at the moment, i am a simple hobbyist and at the moment i want to keep it that way ;) Making money is also not at the list.

At the time when things are released i will make it easy and give exact resources of what to get and maybe even where to get it.

There are at the moment also plans for a third board that has lots of outputs as max 500mA, maybe even with multiplexer and/or pwm on it.

So best is to sit and wait at the moment, unless you want to jump into the testing adventure like us ;)

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Pixel,

I'm getting ready to start ordering various electronics for my cab and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to wait for your solution? Does your solution do all of the LED Whiz functionality currently? Is there anything special needed to get it running? If you were in my shoes would you buy a LED whiz or go with your solution?

Thanks,

-Ron

This solution certainly looks like it will take over and be the preferred option in the future.

I and several others are in a similar position to you takedown. At the speed things are moving I'd be surprised if we don't see something in a 'beta' stage in the next few months. That being said, the arduino solution requires the multiplexing and driver boards. Pixel has worked his 'magic' and designed the boards tonhis credit. I feel that he will be overwhelmed with requests for these (myself included) when this goes a little more public so I'm not sure how this will be handled.

In the meantime I have commenced buying all my toys including an LEDWIZ. My current thinking is to wire the cab using fuses and terminate everything on terminal blocks which can easily accommodate a change from LEDWIZ to the PIXELWIZ :)

I feel like this is going to be the thing to roll with in the future but, as I am building my cab right now, I'm just going to try and wire everything in a manner that allows for easy replacement of the LEDWiz with the Arduino solution.

But yeah, for now I'm pushing ahead with the LEDWiz setup with the non-PWM config file (whichever file it is that is believed to help with the stuttering some experience).

And, of course, I've subscribed the *hell* out of this post :)

Does the arduino gives more possibillities about assigning 'switches' to a solenoid ? ( siemens relais ) I mean, in older tables with ledwiz it is often not possible to assign the bumper,slingshot relais effect because they are not solenoids ( S numbers ) but switch numbers ( W numbers ). Please can u test this ? Let's take table 'time machine' with romname 'tmac_a24'. Switch 21 and switch 22 are the slingshots . Can u fire a relais hitting these ? That would be awsomne ! Thanx !

I'm getting ready to start ordering various electronics for my cab and I'm wondering if it's a good idea to wait for your solution? Does your solution do all of the LED Whiz functionality currently? Is there anything special needed to get it running? If you were in my shoes would you buy a LED whiz or go with your solution?

Hard to say, things look amazing at the moment, but it sure has to prove itself in the real-life situation. At the moment I am pretty sure it does minimal the same as ledwiz. If we can get it to work then the options that we will get for sure outruns the LEDwiz.

Does the arduino gives more possibillities about assigning 'switches' to a solenoid ? ( siemens relais ) I mean, in older tables with ledwiz it is often not possible to assign the bumper,slingshot relais effect because they are not solenoids ( S numbers ) but switch numbers ( W numbers ). Please can u test this ? Let's take table 'time machine' with romname 'tmac_a24'. Switch 21 and switch 22 are the slingshots . Can u fire a relais hitting these ? That would be awsomne ! Thanx !

Yes it can, i have some events running on switches (mainly LED effects).

LEDwiz can also if i am not mistake ?

This solution certainly looks like it will take over and be the preferred option in the future.

:embarassed: -> :cool: Lets hope so !

I and several others are in a similar position to you takedown. At the speed things are moving I'd be surprised if we don't see something in a 'beta' stage in the next few months. That being said, the arduino solution requires the multiplexing and driver boards. Pixel has worked his 'magic' and designed the boards tonhis credit. I feel that he will be overwhelmed with requests for these (myself included) when this goes a little more public so I'm not sure how this will be handled.

In the meantime I have commenced buying all my toys including an LEDWIZ. My current thinking is to wire the cab using fuses and terminate everything on terminal blocks which can easily accommodate a change from LEDWIZ to the PIXELWIZ :)

I am working on some PCB's at the moment to make the whole system "dummy" proof. At the same time making it maybe possible to just exchange the LEDwiz with one of the boards in 90% of the cases.

The problem i run into is that some things are heavy under construction at the moment and new options appear (how about an extra 32 PWM outputs besides the 128 digital outputs) that we have to consider.

Besides that all kinds of input is wanted from you all, the possible future users. Please read the other topics that i have made and comment on them. All input is appriciated !

I will post some other progress later.

Erwin

I have a random request that should be simple for this project. Since most computers are put into the Cabinet open face could we have a USB header on it to connect directly to the Headers on a Motherboard. Just a thought and I would like to keep the backpanel of the mobo a lil more free. Any thoughts:?

Hi Guys,

Shifters did loads of coding the last weeks and we have the 595 multiplex code running smoothly. This means for at the moment we have the possibility to run 4-8 of my 595 boards. Each board has max 32 digital outputs, you do the math on how many outputs we can use at the moment :five:

The system can run a a single Arduino 1280/2560 board but there is also the option on connecting more Arduino's together (master/slave).

Each 595 board takes away 3 digital outputs but gives you a whopping 32 back for it. Small price to pay.

At the moment there are 200+ light effects that can be run on separate groups of outputs. Each output can be in more then one group so possible combinations are almost limited.

Oh yes, and have i told it also drives flashers, contactors, buttoms, shakers and other boring stuff ??

Here is a video driving my Mudokan leds (20ma) direcly from the 595 board without any extra hardware. The 595 is not really designed for that, but it works fine without getting warm.

tCsyUYPuBoA

Oh yes, and we have something else up our sleeves

edit: Second video with more leds (red/green)

2f8RWRVf02I

Edited by pixelmagic
added video

But someone has to say it....."Rock me Amadeus"???????....really???....:hmmmm2:

Dude !!!

We are playing on machine's from the 70's and 80's, even try to remake them and you complain about the music from that period ! (the fact that you know it tells your an old man, like me ;) )

But serious, had the radio on, there is a Hot 880 list from the 80's, can't help it :bootyshake:

Dude !!!

We are playing on machine's from the 70's and 80's, even try to remake them and you complain about the music from that period ! (the fact that you know it tells your an old man, like me ;) )

But serious, had the radio on, there is a Hot 880 list from the 80's, can't help it :bootyshake:

I think 95% of the people who post on this forum could identify that song. ;)

I wonder what the average age on here is. My guess would be somewhere around 40.

Edited by DeeGor

Ok, today got my flasher connected to a 595 multiplexer board and added some ULN's to give it some more juice needed for it.

Here is the real pro looking test setup:

IMAG0163.jpg

After that run the the small testing program on Arduino to see if it all works:

XX8B7fNfKmM

Then is was time for the real thing, letting VP-Fx driving the flashers with some events. I have setup a small script to run the events in 4 second intervals with a total of 36 events on it, some of them being a 'off' event.

Here is the result of that:

SUmGk29LW5A

To give you some idea about the code needed for all the effets, here is the list:

E29G51
E34G51
E39G51
E24G51
E48G51
E53G51
E59G51
E63G51
E68G51
E70G51
E74G51
E79G51