Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

CP-1 Custom Space Sim Seat

ericleroi

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for this Eric, appreciate the effort it took to write up. Once again, great job

The key to this is to take note of the angles / edges. If they're greater than about 70 degrees, the edges should be slightly rounded by lightly sanding. For angles which are less severe, a sharp edge can be used. It's then a case of working the vinyl around it, using your thumbs to push hard and ensure it's taut. This will hurt after a while if there's a lot to do!

For this piece:

Filler1_zps4d5f0a3d.jpg

Fill and sand the edges to make sure there's a nice clean line:

Filler2_zps5b11f94d.jpg

Cut a suitably sized piece of vinyl (over-cut as much as you can afford to), line up the vinyl around one of the edges and start to apply:

DIYLaminate0_zps9719ce02.jpg

Use your thumbs to push really hard around the edge, making sure that it's a nice line, before smoothing across the faces either side. Once you're happy it's as it should be, slowly smooth on the vinyl and approach the next edge, drawing back the backing paper as you go:

DIYLaminate1_zps4e0051c2.jpg

Once you get to the underside of the piece, i.e. the last bit, starting from the middle, pull the vinyl and press it into place. This will further remove any potential for bubbling:

DIYLaminate2_zpsd68e8bce.jpg

For larger sections, the process is the same. Fill:

topbefore_zps30598576.jpg

Sand back:

topafter_zpsfe9c4829.jpg

Align the vinyl and press firmly with your thumbs around the first corner:

Vinyl1_zps6d758f8c.jpg

Draw back the vinyl:

Vinyl1point5_zps49448544.jpg

Proceed around any remaining faces:

Vinyl2_zps358bd233.jpg

If there's a lot of excess, trim it back first:

Vinyl3_zps1413b623.jpg

Take a sharp knife and a flat length of wood and trim (the wood is on top and cut from the underside in this example):

Vinyl4_zpsc5cced02.jpg

For longer lengths, you may want to work in sections:

Vinyl5_zps963bb8ae.jpg

This should give you a nice, clean finish:

Vinyl6_zpsf2ccb131.jpg

Vinyl1_zps6d758f8c.jpg

For larger sections, an additional pair of hands can help greatly.

I typically then paint the edges of the wood in blackboard paint to remove any possibility of MDF being shown:

PaintPrep_zps65cd0df3.jpg

As the sides are painted, I used a piece of kitchen towel and wipe from the inside of the piece outwards to ensure that no paint adheres to the vinyl.

Hope that helps.

Eric, do you have any recommended sites to check out for DIY simulator setups that people have built, has plans, sorta gives the ins and outs of the components added to them and places to buy them. I have been catching the sim bug lately and now with this new thread of yours and bringing back to mind your racing setup I really wanna get something going, especially for driving. Even if it is just mostly planning for the day that I can build one I would rather be ready to go at that time than just starting to figure things out at that time.

InsideSimRacing is a good site to visit to give you some ideas:

http://www.isrtv.com/forums/forum/12-sim-racing-rigs-cockpit/

TheWayIPlay is also a useful site:

http://www.thewayiplay.com/mainforum/index.php?PHPSESSID=20e34c3d1e5fe4a2e4c6936a0da47553&board=2.0

Jeremy is correct. I use a router with a 1/2 inch collet. I have the Trend T5. I was umming and arring about buying it at the time but it's proved to be the best investment in a single tool I've ever made. It's heavy and demands respect but it's a fantastic piece of equipment:

TrendT5_zps49a087dd.jpg

It allows me to use much larger chamfer bit for really deep beveled edges when required.

Edit: It's a T10 not a T5 :)

Your builds are really impressive: neat design and great attention to details (the elite metal badge is awesome BTW :P). Honestly... you should probably record while building and make a youtube documentary from a project. I never will get bored to say how much I like you work :)

The only "flaw" is... well, this build, just like the r-pod, would deserve a 50' lcd screen or a projector, not a 24' monitor (never been a great fun of 3 monitor setup) :P I guess you should not have any problems fitting a 5.1 audio system in these builds :)

Stunning work as usual Eric..

Hey you should startup a sideline making these.. You would make a killing. :beer:

Thanks mikekim, that means a lot coming from you. I have thought about making these; I'd probably start with just the side pods initially - the seat may be too complex to make :)

This is amazing. Would you be willing to do some custom work for others?

Thanks for that derekablackburn. I really am a novice when it comes to Photoshop - I just had an idea, Googled a few videos and tinkered a bit. It would take me ages to put something more complex together to be honest :)

Two simple lines added to make the lower section more like corporate branding:

AnotherLogo_zps3f80d921.jpg

Thanks mikekim, that means a lot coming from you. I have thought about making these; I'd probably start with just the side pods initially - the seat may be too complex to make :)

Thanks for that derekablackburn. I really am a novice when it comes to Photoshop - I just had an idea, Googled a few videos and tinkered a bit. It would take me ages to put something more complex together to be honest :)

Two simple lines added to make the lower section more like corporate branding:

AnotherLogo_zps3f80d921.jpg

Haha I should have quoted one of your other pictures! I meant the woodworking. I am really good with Photoshop if you need help that way... Looks like you have it covered here.

Archived