Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

CP-1 Custom Space Sim Seat

ericleroi

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've cut enough perimeter pieces and supporting blocks to start gluing things together. The remaining blocks will be straight cuts rather than angled ones so are much simpler. I will will need to apply the glue to the pieces in 2 passes. I will complete the left pod first and then start on the right pod.

The screws have been countersunk to enable them to be screwed (and glued) into the outward face once everything is ready. There will be more pieces to accept the HOTAS poles and also an additional brace running across the centre.

Supports_zps391427ba.jpg

I have also cut the hole for the Neutrik USB connector in the top panel:

NeutrikTop_zpse4e1e099.jpg

That looks like complete garbage, once you finish it up you should just go ahead and ship it here to the US to get it as far away from your sights as possible. I will even give you my address so it can be stored away to not bear the burden of it being seen by others.

I dread to think how much this thing would cost to ship to the US :)

With the glue having dried overnight, I dry assembled the left side pod. It's not perfect but I'm pretty pleased with it:

PodAssembled2_zps0150d8ae.jpg

PodAssembled3_zps8ae8422f.jpg

PodAssembled4_zps1822c9bd.jpg

I still have to put the mounting poles in place. These will slide in and out of the side pods to make the HOTAS removable. The main side piece shown in the picture will sit about 3 inches lower. The platform sitting on the poles (4mm aluminium plate which was ordered yesterday) will raise the HOTAS by 2-3 inches from the top surface of the side pods. I'll need to experiment to get the position correct:

PodAssembled1_zps4615e180.jpg

one thing looking at this... i would have thought that the throttle would be mounted lower (flush with the top of the side pod) as it would probably be ergonomically better.

and one more thing... damn you.. you got me looking into picking up a HOTAS now :laugh: - Elite might just start taking over what little time I have available..

Hey mikekim, glad you're getting interested :) Good spot - someone else commented on the height of the throttle on another forum. The whole seat will be raised by about 3 inches so the pods will sit lower than it will shown here. The approximate position of the top of the pod relative to the front of the seat is about this:

SeatToPod_zpsc8962a5c.jpg

I also finished cutting the perimeter pieces for the second pod:

MorePerimeter_zpsec48cb4b.jpg

I don't have the Rift at the moment maxxsinner - it's absolutely on the wishlist. New graphics card to buy first though as my 680 died on me.

Thanks Hyperion!

I adjusted the main sides pieces. I wasn't happy with the shape or height. I can drop the pods by a few cm now. I also adjusted the angle on the front to line up with the side pods. Arrows show where it's been modified:

Before:

sidebefore_zpsb84503dc.jpg

After:

sideafter_zps2eafa906.jpg

I also cloned the side pieces:

SidesCloned_zpsc2ba735c.jpg

Tops are over-cut at the moment.

Eric, is your 680 still under warranty? You might be able to get your money back. I burned out a 660ti using Folding@Home, returned it to Dabs and have been promised a refund as the model is no longer available (although they seem to be having trouble actually getting the money back onto my credit card).

Eric, is your 680 still under warranty? You might be able to get your money back. I burned out a 660ti using Folding@Home, returned it to Dabs and have been promised a refund as the model is no longer available (although they seem to be having trouble actually getting the money back onto my credit card).

It's out of warranty unfortunately :(

The artwork arrived an I mounted it behind some acrylic:

ArtworkIn1_zps119c695b.jpg

ArtworkIn2_zps613dc92c.jpg

Cheers maxx :cheers:

Draw everything up, drill access holes, rough cut the insides, cut and attach the guides and flush trim. Things are going well. How wrong could I be ...

wrong_zpsfbb595c8.jpg

Aaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh. The window is massively overcut, extending down to the side pod.

Options:

a. Stuff it and carry on

b. Do it again

I did it again, correctly:

right_zpsd862292c.jpg

I'm glad I did.

I've routed the inside bevels on the windows and also inserts for both the mesh and the aluminium bars which are now fitted:

AluminiumBars_zps339a769b.jpg

I still need to cut the bars for the other side. I'm almost out of mesh - just enough for one side - so will have to order some more of that.

You are gonna sit on a hump?

:) It's been re-cut and re-covered now.

I've made the first blanking panel for the front of the seat.

Shaped the pieces:

SeatBlankingPlate1_zps2987e5fd.jpg

Applied some craft foam to provide an amount of give and also to round off the edges:

SeatBlankingPlate2_zps8d276466.jpg

Covered with material:

SeatBlankingPlate3_zps85828429.jpg

In-place:

SeatBlankingPlate5_zps6a167edf.jpg

SeatBlankingPlate7_zpsa77253b8.jpg

SeatBlankingPlate6_zps30bc07e9.jpg

Archived