Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

CP-1 Custom Space Sim Seat

ericleroi

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are you planning to stick in the center? Control panel or touchscreen with a tablet? :)

I'm planning to make a small platform to which I can attach different devices one of which will be an iPad mini. I'm intending to run several cables to the platform so I can attach different devices.

Also, where does the drink holder go? Gonna get thirsty on those long flights.

That is definitely a consideration!

I've completed the top shoulder sections for the seat. There's a lot of filling to do here and I've cut some recesses into the tops as the displays I will be fitting to a panel which will be attached are too deep. There's a lot of filling to do once the glue has dried. I will need to sort out the 2 top seat pads as well.

Tops5copy_zps7145a701.jpg

Tops3_zps68bc6095.jpg

Tops2_zpsfadd9540.jpg

The internal and eternal faces of the side pieces have been beveled:

Tops4_zps4b582a95.jpg

I think it would look cooler if you had an inset design up there to flow with the rest of the design.

That was the original plan. However, due to the bracing I've made to connect the top shoulder section to the sides, which is essential, it's not possible unfortunately. The structure wouldn't be strong enough.

I've been keen to fill the sections where the side panels meet the shoulder panels just to ensure that everything lines up correctly.

Before:

beforeFiller_zps6b784352.jpg

After a first pass of filler:

AfterFiller2_zpse55f1459.jpg

AfterFiller1_zpsb97e9cc2.jpg

One of the new panels fitted:

HandlePanel2_zpsfd974b48.jpg

Powered:

MeterOn2_zpsead19014.jpg

The balance of the design will be improved when the headrest is made. These will have the cutouts/windows which will use the ribbed rubber sheeting.

I've started working on the stow-able console mechanism. I've been giving the design of this a great deal of thought and wanted to come up with something attractive, simple and stable. The design you see here will have a rod running between the aluminium bars and the long, upright piece - the rod will be embedded in the main centre section towards the top. The bottom will have 2 additional pieces made - small sections will be cut and include a hole which will then be further cut into taking about 90 degrees out of the circle making it open. The idea will be to allow this to rest on another lower, circular rod embedded in the main centre section which will be further forward from the upper rod. To stow, I can then lift the mechanism up, push it forwards and drop it down. Simple.

The rear upright will have some convoluted sheathing (which I have split) to accommodate 2 or 3 cables - lightning, USB / mini USB.

As these parts are small, I will be filling, shaping and finishing by hand. They're too small to work with a router. The top piece shown in the picture is not attached yet. I will epoxy in place one everything has been prepared. Once dry, I will used thin screws to further secure the pieces together - I don't wand these to split so will drill pilot holed beforehand.

Stowable1_zpse38cc96a.jpg

Stowable2_zpsc4f4115f.jpg

How comfortable is the seat? I know in my build I missed the mark ergonomically. I'm very particular about my lumbar support and the racing seat I put in my Batmobile is absolutely rubbish for lumbar and actually cuts into my hamstrings slowing circulation.

That would be cool. Sit down, hit a button on the side and the panel moves upwards.

Yes, I've been cheking out some 10 - 12 inch versions with a remote. About £40 from what I've found so far.

How comfortable is the seat? I know in my build I missed the mark ergonomically. I'm very particular about my lumbar support and the racing seat I put in my Batmobile is absolutely rubbish for lumbar and actually cuts into my hamstrings slowing circulation.

It seems very comfortable for me. It's similar in structure to the bucket seat I have which has no lumbar support at all but the back of the seat does change its rake about half way up the back to push my shoulders forwards and my lower back backwards. I also don't get on particularly well with lumbar support in cars as my spine is probably a little unusual in shape - there's not much of a curve in the lumbar area, in fact it's fairly flat.

The caveat is that I won't truly know until I have it set up and have used it for extended periods.

• 2 weeks later...
For the past couple of weeks it's been a case of "In space, no one can hear you cough and splutter" :( Picked up a nasty cold and am waiting for it to abate before continuing, hopefully soon.

Yep I've had that one as well...

I've picked up my hotas warthog.. started playing Elite.. built an i7 4790k with gtx970.. (only picked up the stick, as I'm using a Logitech G13 for throttle and additional keys).

Enjoying it so far.. about 5 hours in, just hit 100k and picked up the hauler..

Sent from my HTC One_M8

• 2 weeks later...

Archived