Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Mameman CNC Fun

mameman

Wow. Looks great Greg!

Do you prefer the Pin2k style over the regular pin? If so what do you like better? Is the smaller screen better (more clear) than the 46?

I have to say the p2k style is near and dear to my heart given i think i can lay claim to build the first virtual one.

As a machine to play, I find it much easier to play and enjoy with the dmd reflection in plain sight since most of the games are interactive with the dmd, its just simply easier to view both and interact wthout having to lift you head up and not see the playfield to do so.

Also the reflection is just plain cool :)

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excellent work. I love the idea of the JP gun shooter and the custom etched drawings on the back are beautiful. Your hinge design for the playfield monitor is great.

The front has such a clean look. Is there going to be custom graphics/decals or will it stay black? It looks great as-is.

How will you launch the standard plunger games, I don't see a manual plunger? Maybe you'll use the existing trigger?

Also, I didn't see any LED flashers. Honestly the game is way more fun with the 5-LED array and you have room behind the reflected DMD. Perhaps something to consider.

Thanks for sharing your work. We are in AWE of your talent.

Thanks Frank, this build was simply the cabinet and mount the screens, the owner is going to do all of his pc installation, wiring and setup. I just connected up a pc to test the screens out/alignment prior to collection. I know that the owner wants to put an image on the backwall of the pin when the time comes so the led's and flashers can be installed below and along side the dmd screen and be hidden from view. its tight up there but i belive you can get whats needed in place to get the flasher effects.

the p2k shooter has 2 buttons in effect, so i would think you would use the trigger or top button for launch.

• 2 weeks later...

Your P2K looks amazing. A couple of queries, now that I've been given the go ahead from my missus to build a cab.

What are you using for the lockdown bar? Is it a standard body bar painted or have you discovered a secret supply of P2K lockdown bars?

Is this getting pinball 2000 decals on it? In one of the other posts you advised that your tron plans were not accurate for p2k decals. Could you post a set of updated dimensions? I think I've worked out most of the dimensions but it would be great to confirm them. I'd really appreciate it as the current plan is to use genuine P2K decals.

Purchased a 40" Samsung E series 40" LED on the weekend for the playfield. Really Small bezel on it. Looks like once its decased it will fit in the cabinet with minor slotting. If not I'll widen the cabinet by the smallest amount possible so it still looks Standard Body width and get a custom lockdown bar.

updated: good news: removed the back bezel. screen is 532mm wide (was 551 with bezel fitted)(series 5 2012 model) Measured my real whitewater pin. spacing is 522mm between the sides, only 5mm cutin required each side.

Looks like if the front/side bezel is removed and the cabinet made a little wider (lockdown bar on whitewater has a few mm overhang on the outside of the cabinet) the cutin could be as little as 2-3mm each side. Not as nice as Mamemans 37" setup but looks like more options for 40" screens in standard body cabinets. This screen is super easy to pull part. screws around the edges, some in the middle, one connector to disconnect for rear bezel. Be careful with the TVs speakers as they are not screwed in and will fall out if you place the screen face up.

Mike

hi Mike, yes working on an updated set of plans, in reality i have found these are only an 1/8 or quarter out here or there but will get some updated ones upload ASAP. the factory decals you are refering to sound like they are actually the reprint's they now offer, the cover the complete side of the cab where as the originals only were the insert parts. they reprints are pretty big, i have a set of RFM ones that i will be fitting soon. the EP1 decals i have on the other hand are originals.

i do have 2 p2k lockbars as it happens, the problem with p2k lockbar is that they use a different receiver that i have yet to find. What i am using in place and frankly its a cheaper option is the lockbar and recievers from a modern stern machine :)

i like the sound of that 40 led, slotting 5-10mm each side is not really an issue so i don't think you need to widen the cab any based on that.

i'm actually working on 3 machines today, will get a pic up later. p2k madness :)

Excellent work. I love the idea of the JP gun shooter and the custom etched drawings on the back are beautiful. Your hinge design for the playfield monitor is great.

The front has such a clean look. Is there going to be custom graphics/decals or will it stay black? It looks great as-is.

How will you launch the standard plunger games, I don't see a manual plunger? Maybe you'll use the existing trigger?

Also, I didn't see any LED flashers. Honestly the game is way more fun with the 5-LED array and you have room behind the reflected DMD. Perhaps something to consider.

Thanks for sharing your work. We are in AWE of your talent.

Just seeing this now, this is the cab that Greg built for me. 99% done now just one last minute change and it will be ready to go. Yeah seeing it all black like it is almost makes me want to keep it that way, but while he was building I hired an artist for the graphics. Those are almost done, so I should get everything all at once. Then on to the PC build! I wanted as little clutter to the front as possible. Matter of fact it's almost identical to a real Jurassic Park cab. The JP shooter was purchased used off eBay, I plan to have it powder coated black once I receive the cab as it certainly could use a bit of a refresh after all the years of use it got. The start button is also an authentic JP piece and it was brand new dead stock. The only other button on the front is the exit button down below the start button.

All plunger actions (standard and digital) will take place with the yellow trigger button. If the trigger button is held down it will mimic the standard analog plunger movement. Again, wanted to keep the cab looking as clean, simple and as dummy proof as possible. As mameman stated there is a digital button on top of the shooter (seen in the pics above) that was used for "smart missiles" in the JP game, I plan to use it for whatever is necessary, possibly extra ball or something along those lines. Also, to keep it clean I opted for red and black flipper buttons on each side. The red ones are primary, the black ones for games that had two sets of flippers. Made them black so that friends and family who are not familiar with multiple buttons will instinctively reach for the reds as the blacks will blend into the cab as intended. This also keeps it looking more like a P2K or JP cab with the illusion of having only one pair of pin buttons.

The flashers will be hidden below the head, again to keep it clean and give it a bit of a different look. I also wanted the back of the playfield area free to install some graphics I had in mind.

Have lots of plans for this one. Can't wait to get it up and running. I'll be in my glory once I'm playing whirlwind and that hidden fan Greg installed activates and blows on my face once the tornado hits. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
mameman, we could take this PM if you'd rather, but can I ask what kinds of files you can work with for these custom projects? Is a standard vector format enough, or do you need something that contains more data about depth?

Std vector is fine unless we are talking 3d. Feel free to send me something and I can see how it translates in my software. [email protected]

• 1 month later...

Archived