Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Mameman CNC Fun

mameman

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

mameman,

I stumbled a crossed this thread and it instantly sparked an idea, which I'm sure it has with many. I'm not sure if you are still taking requests for some CNC work or not, but here is a possible idea...

I have been looking at chriz99's Big Bang Pin thread and ever since I have been wanting to make something just like it. I know my pockets aren't as deep as his and there is no way at this time I can afford to do something that insane, but a mini cab of the same thing could be within my budget.

I have looked at many of the mini cab's floating around the internet, but only one of them have spark my attention which is melon's on the vpforums (even tho it's not 100% complete). I have a little bit of OCD and I want everything perfect and something that looks just like the original.

So with that said would something like this be possible???...

Take the original dimensions of a Williams Widebody Cabinet and divide them by 2. Use a 23" Playfield instead of a 46", use a 15" BackGlass instead of a 30", and possibly a small screen for the DMD. This way you would have everything original but just scaled down.

With your CNC knowledge I'm wondering if you could also scale down the coin door, plunger mount, legs and anything else possible.

To make it complete I would have to find some original artwork of the Addams Family or another cool cab and see if someone could scale it down to fit this also. And then find some buttons that might be half the size of the original ones.

This is just something that is going though my head and would think it would be very cool to have, if it works out I'm sure there are a ton of other members that would probably like to purchase one also.

Just let me know if you think you would be up for the challenge or not.

Thanks,

mameman,

I stumbled a crossed this thread and it instantly sparked an idea, which I'm sure it has with many. I'm not sure if you are still taking requests for some CNC work or not, but here is a possible idea...

I have been looking at chriz99's Big Bang Pin thread and ever since I have been wanting to make something just like it. I know my pockets aren't as deep as his and there is no way at this time I can afford to do something that insane, but a mini cab of the same thing could be within my budget.

I have looked at many of the mini cab's floating around the internet, but only one of them have spark my attention which is melon's on the vpforums (even tho it's not 100% complete). I have a little bit of OCD and I want everything perfect and something that looks just like the original.

Take the original dimensions of a Williams Widebody Cabinet and divide them by 2. Use a 23" Playfield instead of a 46", use a 15" BackGlass instead of a 30", and possibly a small screen for the DMD. This way you would have everything original but just scaled down.

With your CNC knowledge I'm wondering if you could also scale down the coin door, plunger mount, legs and anything else possible.

To make it complete I would have to find some original artwork of the Addams Family or another cool cab and see if someone could scale it down to fit this also. And then find some buttons that might be half the size of the original ones.

This is just something that is going though my head and would think it would be very cool to have, if it works out I'm sure there are a ton of other members that would probably like to purchase one also.

Just let me know if you think you would be up for the challenge or not.l

Thanks,

Hey, yeah it's something I toyed with a year or so ago. Even built a prototype that I scraped in the end. Playfield is easy enough, back glass would need to be much larger, a 15 would not come out wider than the playfield so to keep the look you would need wider, but not an issue. For the Dmd, that gets a little tougher, I have a couple of USB 7" units that I tested and they work event but not as quick as a true monitor. Would need to retest to validate if they were feasible. Why would be nice is a modified version of russdx's pindmd board to talk to the smaller Dmd screen such as the ones in a batman etc.

A scaled down fake wood coindoor is simple, I just need to rescale the code I already have. Legs, can cut down a real set pretty easy. Buttons, I am sure there is smaller versions, but most likely wont be leaf, not a huge deal. Plunger I would suggest going with an early em pin style which are much smaller.

Artwork , I have a number of pins digital artwork I can simply shrink also.

So yes, can do and always interested in doing something new to challenge myself.

Btw, always open to any Cnc work ;)

That sounds really cool but there's only one size for coin doors, unfortunately. At least, I've never seen anything smaller than that through the years. You can do smaller legs, but they would have to be cut in half. Not sure if you can find buttons any smaller than standard arcade buttons either. Still sounds like a neat idea for a project through!

That sounds really cool but there's only one size for coin doors, unfortunately. At least, I've never seen anything smaller than that through the years. You can do smaller legs, but they would have to be cut in half. Not sure if you can find buttons any smaller than standard arcade buttons either. Still sounds like a neat idea for a project through!

For the coin door I was thinking mameman could use his template for the coin door he made on the first post of this thread and modify it so it's just half the size, also instead of cutting out the coin mechs actually cut them so they look like coin mech buttons...I wouldn't need it to accept coins or anything but just look like the real thing...

Cutting the legs would be one idea, but to me and my OCD it wouldn't look right...I think a CNC machine could possibly cut them out of a chunk of plaster or something similar??? If we couldn't make the legs i think I would rather just sit it on my desk and play it...go with the table top idea...

Anyone have any idea where i might be able to find a download of addams family side art?

Ahhh I see what you're talking about now, you were hoping he could create the legs and coin door out with his machine as well. I could definitely see the coin door, but I'm not sure if the legs would be able to support the weight. I could be wrong though. I hear you on the OCD. I'm sure if the legs were brought to a metal fabricator, they could whip them up to look perfect. Or just have them create them for you from scratch. Not sure if Mameman can do that sort of stuff with metal yet, but if he has the right equipment I'm sure he'd be up for the challenge! :)

dang, i did a long reply yesterday on tapatalk that does not seem to have made it. here i go again then :)

yes part of the hope with this thread is to spark peoples imagination and allow them to think how they could adapt or build upon an idea in their own work.

I did actually go down this road a little over a year ago, even build a prototype that i have since scrapped for parts. for the playfield what you describe is simple enough. for the backglass you would need something larger than a 15" to keep the same width (wider than the playfield) so thats a pretty simply change. as for the dmd screen, you need something small ideally unless you go for a 2 screen setup, in which case again to keep the proportions correct you need a large 4:3 screen not a modern widescreen.

i do have some 7" usb screens that i test for that purpose and they worked ok, refresh was not as fast as a true monitor but it was decent.

for the legs, simple enough to take standard legs and with a little cutting/grinding/shaping, i can make them look like a short version of a regular leg.

buttons, i would think we can find something smaller, but style may be a little different and certainly for the flippers would not likely be leaf. again not a huge deal.

for the plunger i would probably go with an early EM style unit, they were much smaller than todays style so that would be in keeping with the reduced size.

coin door, i could make a fake one based off my current layout. the original plan was to make it so you could insert the oroginal reject buttons to make it look even more real. again, you would be reducing the overall size, but you may still have those a little large than proportion. not sure it would look that odd. may even be able to cut those down to work with the smaller size. again its not going to open but from 10 feet away, would still look real.

artwork, i have a number of original cab arts in useable form now so reducing the size is easy (Tz,Whirlwind, Earthshaker,ST 25th,south park, funhouse, getaway)

so to answer your question, yup always up for a challange and always welcome any cnc work.

anyone can just send me a pm and we can go from there.

mameman,

Just let me know if you think you would be up for the challenge or not.

Thanks,

I did actually go down this road a little over a year ago, even build a prototype that i have since scrapped for parts.

- You wouldn't happen to still have the shell of your prototype, would you?

For the backglass you would need something larger than a 15" to keep the same width (wider than the playfield)

- Why wouldn't 15 inch work? 46 divided by 2 = 23 and 30 divided by 2 = 15, am I missing something?

DMD Screen - I would like to use something that would fit in the backglass if we can find a screen available, if not I would still keep the speaker cover and maybe just add a graphic in place of the DMD, maybe like a sticker that looks like a DMD that goes with the theme of the cabinet. By the way you think you could take the speaker/dmd cover and make a half size version?

For the legs, simple enough to take standard legs and with a little cutting/grinding/shaping, i can make them look like a short version of a regular leg.

- If you have done this I would love to see an image of it

buttons, i would think we can find something smaller

- This is the only thing I could find, they might be to small...http://na.suzohapp.com/pushbuttons/49057700.htm

for the plunger i would probably go with an early EM style unit, they were much smaller than todays style

- Where could I find one of these to look at?

coin door, i could make a fake one based off my current layout.

- You think you could CNC the buttons, lock, and anything else on it to make it look real? Of course they wont function but is there just for looks.

artwork, i have a number of original cab arts in useable form now so reducing the size is easy

- Do you have or could you get your hands on Addams Family or Big Bang Bar? I would like those for a small theme.

so to answer your question, yup always up for a challange and always welcome any cnc work.

- I am also looking at making a U shaped computer desk for myself, can you cut full sheets of MDF? I would want it out of the same stuff they use at mameroom.com for their kits.

I am only about 3 hours away from your town, so picking this up wouldn't be much of a problem.

thanks,

I did actually go down this road a little over a year ago, even build a prototype that i have since scrapped for parts.

Nope went into the dumpster about 2 months ago during a clear out

For the backglass you would need something larger than a 15" to keep the same width (wider than the playfield)

- Why wouldn't 15 inch work? 46 divided by 2 = 23 and 30 divided by 2 = 15, am I missing something?

apple and oranges. a backbox is roughly 27" wide internally it takes roughly a 30" screen to fill that (as screens of course are measured diagonally). a 15" monitor is only 12" wide. your 46" screen which is about the size in reality of a true playfield is 21.875" wide (roughly). so to keep the same scale between the 2 in order to keep the same appearance, if you went to a 23" screen (approx 10.875" wide), your backglass would need to be roughly 13.5" wide.

DMD Screen - I would like to use something that would fit in the backglass if we can find a screen available, if not I would still keep the speaker cover and maybe just add a graphic in place of the DMD, maybe like a sticker that looks like a DMD that goes with the theme of the cabinet. By the way you think you could take the speaker/dmd cover and make a half size version?

std dmd is 13.5" wide so the 7" usb units should work fine for that the height can be controlled simply by the size of the hole that is cut and exposes the screen. Make a 1/2 size version is not a problem at all.

For the legs, simple enough to take standard legs and with a little cutting/grinding/shaping, i can make them look like a short version of a regular leg.

nope no picture but just look at a pin leg. its the same size all the way up just simply cut towards the center in the bolt section,ground where the bolts go and drilled. if you really wanted to worry about the width of them being as wide as real legs, then simply make then out of a section of correct width angle iron/aluminum.

- This is the only thing I could find, they might be to small...http://na.suzohapp.com/pushbuttons/49057700.htm

may work, just need to look and see whats out there. may be possible to turn some larger ones down also.

for the plunger i would probably go with an early EM style unit, they were much smaller than todays style

try looking here http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/B-8835

- You think you could CNC the buttons, lock, and anything else on it to make it look real? Of course they wont function but is there just for looks.

yes, anything is possible if you want to put enough time into the design within cad/illustrator etc. or possible use real parts and reduce their size.

artwork, i have a number of original cab arts in useable form now so reducing the size is easy

- Do you have or could you get your hands on Addams Family or Big Bang Bar? I would like those for a small theme.

BBB i still have a set of original decals i may scan at some point

- I am also looking at making a U shaped computer desk for myself, can you cut full sheets of MDF? I would want it out of the same stuff they use at mameroom.com for their kits.

full 4x8 at this point no, next year yes. most of the stuff you see is cut them laminated after so pretty easy to do yourself.

I am only about 3 hours away from your town, so picking this up wouldn't be much of a problem.

cool

thanks,

ok, let try this again and see if i can get it posted

QUOTE=Poker808 did actually go down this road a little over a year ago, even build a prototype that i have since scrapped for parts.

Nope went into the dumpster about 2 months ago during a clear out

apple and oranges. a backbox is roughly 27" wide internally it takes roughly a 30" screen to fill that (as screens of course are measured diagonally). a 15" monitor is only 12" wide. your 46" screen which is about the size in reality of a true playfield is 21.875" wide (roughly). so to keep the same scale between the 2 in order to keep the same appearance, if you went to a 23" screen (approx 10.875" wide), your backglass would need to be roughly 13.5" wide.

std dmd is 13.5" wide so the 7" usb units should work fine for that the height can be controlled simply by the size of the hole that is cut and exposes the screen. Make a 1/2 size version is not a problem at all.

nope no picture but just look at a pin leg. its the same size all the way up just simply cut towards the center in the bolt section,ground where the bolts go and drilled. if you really wanted to worry about the width of them being as wide as real legs, then simply make then out of a section of correct width angle iron/aluminum.

may work, just need to look and see whats out there. may be possible to turn some larger ones down also.

try looking here http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/B-8835

yes, anything is possible if you want to put enough time into the design within cad/illustrator etc. or possible use real parts and reduce their size.

BBB i still have a set of original decals i may scan at some point

full 4x8 at this point no, next year yes. most of the stuff you see is cut them laminated after so pretty easy to do yourself.

cool

• 4 weeks later...

Archived