Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Video Man Hyperspin

Lucian045

Hey Guys! Well, I've decided to build a hyperspin cabinet, going to call it Video Man as this was my nickname growing up in the 80's from my friends and family. Going for a 4 player cab. All buttons LED light, 2 fighting sticks, 2 rotary joysticks, trackball, spinner, dedicated 4 way joystick, flight/Tron Stick and Ultimarc AimTrack gun which is on its way! Going to be a beast. Trying to figure out whether to use a widescreen monitor or a 32" CRT TV? Actual arcade monitor is not something I want to invest in, leaning more towards a 32 or 37" widescreen but I figured I'd ask here. Wanted to get some opinions on the matter. I will be using the machine mostly for Mame, Daphne and old classic systems, but I might use it for Street Fighter 4 arcade edition, not sure. Also, I am interested in some computer specs if people have theirs available to share in this thread for me. Thanks guys, I'll be posting some progress once I get all my parts lined up and a mockup of the cab I plan on building. Artwork is coming along slowly as I need to finalize the build before I begin. Thanks guys.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monitor Depends on taste. If you want the games to look more orignal and good the TV is definitely the choice. But the tv is not the most fun to decase if you decide to. An LCD WS is what I intend to go with as Pixelation from it doesn't disturb my game play. Once you focus it it doesn't show to bad. Plus new games like Blazblue and SS4 will look better on a LCD.

My macbook with Win7 currently installed runs HS itself perfectly smooth. All the games play perfect. The only system I've come across that truly lags behind is PCSX2 but PS2 isn't supported by HS so its honestly no issue.

Spec

i5 2.2 quad core

15 inch screen

4gb ram

6670 gfx

2 3TB hard drives. Not all for HS.

Thanks for the info. Well, ordered my Aimtrak and it came today!!!! Problem is, it doesn't work! lol Plugged everything into the computer and nothing. Tried 2 other computers...nothing, does not even "da dunk" when the USB is connected, so now I wait for Andy to get back to me. Working on the control panel artwork now. Going to need a few more days until it's ready to go. I'll post pics once I get it finished. Very dissapointed with my gun :( (Sadness)

Quick update. Got my Aimtrak working and been messing around with artwork. Here are some Ideas I am working on:

Marquee

10rik9i.jpg

Work In progress Control Panels

IDEA 1

2zf3jug.jpg

IDEA2

2947038.jpg

Yellow square is the flight stick, grey one nect to it is the spinner. All the resat are color LED's. These are all brainstorming ideas and I am not yet close to done, ie colors, graphic images, button labels etc. Let me know what you guys think and if you have some suggestions based on what you see. I like the marquee and I think it works better than the MAME logo in the center of the control panel. The possibilities are endless. Side art I am 95% done with in my mind, but the control panel needs to be finished first. Thanks.

Guest fr0stbyt3

Agreed. But I think I would add a little space between the buttons and the joysticks.

Btw.. I like your circuit board marquee :top:

• 1 month later...

Quick update...got the artwork for the control panel about 90% complete. I have to fine tune a few things, change some button sizes and add some things but here it is so far. Went with a SteamPunk Design type. Artwork was done by a graphic designer here in CT named Andy Glad...http://www.andyglad.com/ If anyone is interested in him designing artwork for you I highly recommend his work. Not sure what he'll charge as he did this for me as a favor but you can always ask him. I asked for an Industrial look and I think he did a great job. Let me know what you guys think.

xlkvmx.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/xlkvmx.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Lucain,

How about theming the artwork around the 80's tron style. I think it would look good with the name.

I was kinda looking for something different than everyone else's and I am not a Tron fan really. Easy you guys...easy! :) lol

Quick update...artwork for the control panel is nearly complete. I will print it out tomorrow and take a picture to show you guys. Then it's off to Jack to complete my panel. After that, I will be building the rest of the cabinet in house to fit in my room...pics will follow.

I was planning on using an AMD processor because it will save me a little bit of money. I don't know much about AMD (INTEL GUY) so any help would be appreciated on the computer side. Trying to keep the cost of the computer to $700. I have a video card and CDROM already. Windows 764 bit home, pro, ultimate? or XP 64 bit? Thanks for the help guys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Quick Update. Computer built and running. Here are the specs.

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Nvidia 250 graphics card

500 watt power supply

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit

Rosewill RFA-120-BL 120mm 4 Blue LEDs LED Case Fan

nzr90n.jpg

242uezp.jpg

54zos7.jpg

Control panel next week baby!!!!

Looks great! Loving the cp artwork there. I'm starting on my cabinet too and have the PC ready to go, just need to refurb the cabinet and start figuring out the control panel. Doing a 4-player like you have there, but skipping the trackball and spinner pieces. My wife really wants me to keep going with the transformers theme like the pinball cab, but I'm torn there. I may be contacting you soon on some cp and sideart graphics!

Keep us posted with your progress!

Heres some pics of the computer i built running 3.6ghz overclocked ram and a unlocked amd phenom II x945 Black Edition. Just make sure running that much clock you have a way to control heat in that atx case once its installed in a mame cab

post-44035-142870575902_thumb.jpg

post-44035-142870575895_thumb.jpg

post-44035-142870575899_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey All. So here is a picture of the inside of the Control Panel. Finalizing my build now for the cabinet. I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to go with the old school CRT Arcade Monitor, or full out LCD 1080P goodness! Chime in please, as depending on which I go with will change the type of build I do for the Cab. Standard Box type or Maybe a Showcase Build.

pai8.jpg

Hey All. So here is a picture of the inside of the Control Panel. Finalizing my build now for the cabinet. I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to go with the old school CRT Arcade Monitor, or full out LCD 1080P goodness! Chime in please, as depending on which I go with will change the type of build I do for the Cab. Standard Box type or Maybe a Showcase Build.

pai8.jpg

I'll be honest Brad, I picked up a scan line generator and set my lcd to 640x480 and aso just bought a piece of Graylite 31 to add a finishing touch. These items totally change an lcd let me tell you.

Archived