Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Real DMD's In Pinball Cabs

H4CK3R

Hi NJay, please keep us posted on how you are able to hookup your 12V plasma dmd to your PC PSU and the pindmd. I have 2 out of the three parts you mentioned, but have not yet dropped the money on a dmd because they are so ridiculously expensive to get (transported)...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Njay,

I think the 4a is a good choice, seeing the specs say it uses 3.5a at 100% lit. I thought I was over-amping when I said 3a. I did not realize that the 12V plasma required so much amprage. I'm only using 1/3 amp on my high voltage plasmas.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but has anyone heard any word on using the XPin DMDs with the pinDMD board yet? I've seen several "about to test it!" messages, but no one seems to have actually tried. :)

I know they're out in the wild now and not vaporware, so it seems like it would be a good thing to know.

Edited by Aurich
Derp, now -> not

LOL - I believe PinballLooking was testing.

FWIW: The Xpin DMD guy posted on Pinside that they had them in stock, and I asked him about the Hyperpin testing with the Russ's PinDMD board. He said that he'd forgot, and he'd check into it. I am waiting too - So you aren't the only one hearing crickets

LOL - I believe PinballLooking was testing.

FWIW: The Xpin DMD guy posted on Pinside that they had them in stock, and I asked him about the Hyperpin testing with the Russ's PinDMD board. He said that he'd forgot, and he'd check into it. I am waiting too - So you aren't the only one hearing crickets

Yeah, PinballLooking never replied to the Xpin guy or me (sent him an email) so I took matters into my own hands and ordered a 5V board this morning. I should have it shortly, I'm in CA and he's in AZ, and he promised to ship quickly, so as soon as I have an answer I'll update everyone.

I got the PinDMD from VirtuaPin, but still waiting for the Vishay DMD.

The PinDMD has a connector that goes to the DMD, and has what looks like a Mini-HDMI port.

Do I need to buy a Mini-HDMI <-> USB convertor to be able to connect to the PC?

I got the PinDMD from VirtuaPin, but still waiting for the Vishay DMD.

The PinDMD has a connector that goes to the DMD, and has what looks like a Mini-HDMI port.

Do I need to buy a Mini-HDMI <-> USB convertor to be able to connect to the PC?

No, that's a standard mini USB port, just get a mini USB cable to connect to your PC.

Yeah, PinballLooking never replied to the Xpin guy or me (sent him an email) so I took matters into my own hands and ordered a 5V board this morning. I should have it shortly, I'm in CA and he's in AZ, and he promised to ship quickly, so as soon as I have an answer I'll update everyone.

Quoting myself here to report that the Xpin DMDs work out of the box with the pinDMD. :bootyshake:

I'll start a new thread for it, I doubt many are still reading this sticky, but if you ask for the 5V version it's good to go.

hey guys i need some help with getting my dmd to work.

i have the 12V Vishay APD-128G032A with the PinDMD board and i'm having problems getting it to display properly.

the USB drivers have been loaded - the green light is showing on the PinDMD board.

plasma display is powered by a meanwell 12v psu

i have replaced the VpinMame.dll with the one from the pindmd website and rerun the install to install the new .dll file, as per the installation instructions.

however when i run the rom test this is all get on the screen - the lines move and change with the rom display.

when i run the about screen the version is showing as 2.5 pindmd by russdx jun 8 2012

20121111125913.jpg

any ideas??

thanks

Mike.

edit:

some progress - flashed the firmware on the pindmd with the dmd128x32plasma.hex file

the panel displays the pindmd logo now but with flicker

http://youtu.be/8G5zeCQba40

following the instuctions to remove flicker when i try and load the pindmd1001 template into the ft_prog v2.6.8 it says that the following error

"failed to load a valid template. This is not a valid device type"

Edited by mikekim