Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

"Streets of Rage - Robinson Edition" : Racing Cab Project

ghetoprobe

So I've started on the shifter housing. I've read a lot of threads and seen quite a few ways people have tried tackling these. The shifter seems to be beat up more than any other part of the arcade controls. People just slam on them. In other builds I've seen they're either mounted directly to the dashboard, which makes you unnaturally reach out for the shifter - not like a true car at all. Or, the shifter is precariously hanging off the console and wiggles around, looking as if it will break off at any moment.

It needed to come out away from the dashboard to be in a "real" driving position. It needed to mount to the cabinet in a straightforward way so I could easily remove it in the future. I also wanted it to look as attractive as possible. Oh, and it needed to be build like a tank. Hmmmmm. Here was my solution :

IMG_7822_zps7ba4115d.jpg

IMG_7830_zpsa6d26c13.jpg

IMG_7835_zps6d69ceea.jpg

IMG_7828_zpsad1c65a2.jpg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, to mount the shifter housing to the cab. Like I mentioned, I wanted this thing to be SOLID. I drilled four pilot holes, clamped it in place and drilled 1/4" holes for the 3" bolts. I also used over-sized washers and those locking nylon threaded nuts to really help hold this thing in place. I can literally grab the shifter and move the entire cabinet back and forth without any wiggle. SOLID.

IMG_7836_zps17902a04.jpg

IMG_7837_zps680c9b6f.jpg

IMG_7838_zpsa7adb32a.jpg

IMG_7891_zps5e0af706.jpg

Before I permanently mounted the shifter housing I wanted to get the dashboard made up to be sure everything fit together nicely. First things first, the top piece of 3/4" MDF needed to be attached to the dashboard - this piece will cover the upper gap between the dashboard and the glass. I also cut a template for the steering wheel, traced it to the dashboard and made my cuts on a scroll saw.

IMG_7853_zps127ac922.jpg

IMG_7855_zps2e706736.jpg

IMG_7856_zps45dc98ca.jpg

IMG_7859_zps0883ebab.jpg

IMG_7860_zpsfb6d90e7.jpg

Next step is to break out the router and cut the slot for the dashboard's t-molding. This will just be regular black t-molding, but I wanted a durable surface so the dashboard wouldn't get messed up pulling the steering wheel in and out. Not to mention it looks much nicer than painted MDF.

I also rounded the corners of the dashboard to give it a cleaner look.

IMG_7887_zps27da51d4.jpg

IMG_7888_zpsb8e9f45a.jpg

IMG_7898_zps1497f05c.jpg

IMG_7903_zps9dad36b1.jpg

Next up - some glitz & glam - I normally feel that LEDs and glowing computer fans are gaudy and take away from the overall appearance of most things. "Let the machine be the show" is my usual stance, but then I saw gbeef's build and how well he integrated the LEDs into the cabinet. Not over-the-top, in-your-face LED's - just a little bit of a light show to accent the cabinet. And beyond that, you can easily turn them off if they're too distracting.

I dropped the IR down through an existing hole in the main cabinet board, you can barely see it, but it does pretty well picking up the remote from across the room. The controller is mounted toward the right-hand wall of the cabinet and I'm using a 12v 4a power supply from an old laptop (I originally used a 12v 1a power supply and blew it up. Whoops! Should have checked the label.). I also installed a "green" HP power strip so when the PC/PS3 turns on, everything else turns on as well.

IMG_7792_zpsab1c923d.jpg

IMG_7795_zps56778010.jpg

IMG_7798_zps73174c9c.jpg

I had to add a board to the bottom of the seat base to accommodate the LED strips. I wanted the light to be as even as possible so I purchased some 90° elbows off eBay for the LED strips. Bad move... these things are terrible and I DO NOT recommend them. Save yourself the trouble and just solder the connections yourself. I think I'm going to flip the cabinet over and solder every connection point by hand. What a waste of time and money. I guess that's what happens when you try to take shortcuts.

IMG_7921_zps4c191bd0.jpg

IMG_7925_zpsf589cabe.jpg

IMG_7928_zpsd94d4bfd.jpg

IMG_7929_zpsdfa2fdb9.jpg

IMG_7932_zps6ee72204.jpg

With the LED strips all pinned in place I used 1/2" split loom to hide the wiring. I also cut a single piece of LEDs to use as a test - if these turn on and the rest of the cab is dark, at least I know the power supply and controller are okay.

Forgot to mention the LED strips I'm using are RGB 5050's with the weather-proof rubber on them. I used these for our halloween costumes this year and they took abuse from a 2-year-old and I running around all night. They also can do WAY more colors than the 3528's. Well worth the few extra dollars.

IMG_7938_zpsbe61cf7b.jpg

IMG_7944_zps78d05caa.jpg

IMG_7950_zps390493bc.jpg

IMG_7973_zps85344419.jpg

IMG_7951_zpsa9373778.jpg

IMG_7397_zps1a6c0716.jpg

IMG_7421_zpsf107c9cb.jpg

They're terrible. I thought they would save me a lot of time, but they have been nothing but problems. Every connection that I soldered myself, perfect. Every connection with an elbow, flaky at best. I would strongly suggest soldering each connection by hand on your next build.

Here they are if you want to check them out, but don't say I didn't warn you. ;) : eBay Link

This may be a little off-topic, but I have a confession to make. I'm messy. Very, very messy. After losing my drill for well over 15 minutes (it was behind me) I figured it was time to clean up my work space a little bit. Here's the before and after - hopefully a few of you can relate. I'm sure it will degrade again quickly.

IMG_7961_zps7857f096.jpg

IMG_7963_zps021385d7.jpg

Moving on! My faux carbon fiber vinyl finally arrived! Time to wrap the shifter housing. I was sure to wrap the bottom as well - you never know when someone might fall on the floor and look up at the hideous, bare MDF... what is wrong with me...

I'm glad I did the shifter housing first, as opposed to the actual cabinet decals. There's definitely a learning curve to getting the razor blade to cut just right. My advice for cutting vinyl is to use a brand new razor blade. Cutting at a 30°-45° angle away from the wood really seemed to be the sweet spot for accurate cuts. I also put some t-molding on the shifter housing so you can start to get an idea of the art-direction.

IMG_7986_zps0d0272d3.jpg

IMG_7985_zps0ed88091.jpg

IMG_7990_zps8dfd7a26.jpg

IMG_7996_zpsc5c8e5e8.jpg

IMG_7999_zps2437a0db.jpg

Let's cut some diamond plate. This isn't the really thick diamond plate, it's the thin, embossed type of sheet you can get at Home Depot. We'll see how well it holds up, but I don't intend to put this thing on route. I roughed up the underside of the diamond plate and the places I would be gluing it to. Sprayed it with a little bit of water and used Gorilla Glue to glue it down. I used Irwin clamps (love them) whenever I could, but for the large plate at the base of the cabinet I just used heavy blocks of wood to apply pressure.

I also made some corner/edge protectors that I'll be painting black. They're a little thick, keeping the seat base from mating with the cabinet well. I may end up pulling these if I can find a thinner 90° piece of metal. I used a #8 countersink so the screws would sit flat in the metal trim.

IMG_7597_zpsa74b2f1c.jpg

IMG_7603_zpsf30fbd8a.jpg

IMG_7598_zps3e57c0c3.jpg

IMG_7349_zps71bbfdd0.jpg

IMG_8240_zpsb86fb105.jpg

IMG_8300_zpsa33e14fc.jpg

The next two steps kind of went hand-in-hand. I needed to build the base for the steering wheel and also needed to take into account a shelf for the Z-5500's sub woofer. This would be a VERY tight fit between the two, not to mention the steering wheel base needed to be at an angle to bring the steering wheel to a more natural position. Here's how I made the shelf for the sub woofer :

After cutting the shelf to size I realized it was going to block most of the airflow from the lower part of the cabinet. I drilled out two holes for 80mm fans and two holes for cabling running up the sides of the cab. Then it was time to cut the angled pieces along the sides of the cab. I tried to keep the sub woofer shelf as level as possible since the inner board in the cabinet slopes down toward the back of the cabinet. Now I can easily remove the shelf without disturbing any cabling, mounting brackets, etc.

IMG_7670_zps10414f3e.jpg

IMG_7680_zpsff04885c.jpg

IMG_7681_zps94700aba.jpg

IMG_7693_zps9ad728b7.jpg

IMG_7703_zps2ef1fc37.jpg

After consulting my wife, she and I both felt that the steering wheel position was too far from the driver when the seat was pushed back for a 5'8"or larger person. So, I threw caution to the wind and purchased an additional set of seat rails. In the pictures you will first see the base, then the steering wheel mounting board with the t-molding slot cut. You can get an idea of how steep the angle needed to be to get the wheel facing down toward the driver.

IMG_8020_zps7127fe33.jpg

IMG_8024_zps08bdef71.jpg

IMG_8031_zpsbb7cb678.jpg

IMG_8033_zpsf94c48a8.jpg

IMG_8036_zps5a1bcfcf.jpg

IMG_8043_zps0a84bc15.jpg

Faux carbon fiber wrap applied with some black t-molding to help everything blend in with the dashboard. I'm trying to keep the entire steering wheel mounting and slider as hidden as possible. I also had to recess the bolts that lock the steering wheel in place so the slider lever could move freely. In the end, adding these sliders gives the wheel about 2-inches of travel. That may not sound like a lot, but it's a HUGE difference. Now, even with the seat all the way back for a 6'5" body, it feels just right. VERY happy that I put in the extra effort for the sliders.

You may notice that the bottom slider rails have washers under the bolts, while the top slider rails do not. The washers made everything fit snugly, so there is very little wiggle when FFB kicks in.

IMG_8087_zpsed270033.jpg

IMG_8088_zpsfcc33470.jpg

IMG_8093_zps9af6dfae.jpg

IMG_8058_zpsf0e98a51.jpg

IMG_8097_zpse6792553.jpg

IMG_8095_zpsbbf2a112.jpg

IMG_8054_zps9525aef5.jpg

I came home to find a package leaning against the front door. Clear the dining room table sweetie! It's time to get this build moving!

Originally, I went over to a local sign store to get a quote for the decals. $600+ after tax. Crazy. Speaking with the salesman, I could tell that he had never printed decals for a project quite like this and his suggestions on the material were questionable. Spending that much money on an educated guess wasn't good enough for me to pull the trigger.

Then, I remembered that Lucian045 had offered his printing services to the community. I contacted him, we chatted for an hour and I could tell my artwork was in good hands. As I mentioned in my first post, Lucian045 is a huge asset to this community. I made the artwork - he made it a reality. He is knowledgeable, helpful, and got the artwork to my door very quickly. If there's any question in your mind whom to use for your next set of decals, Lucian045 (Brad) is the best. Hands down.

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?14155-Decals-and-Printing-for-your-HyperSpin-Cabinet

The packaging was top-notch. It had an outer layer of protective paper and it even came with an applicator! Thanks, Brad!

IMG_8111_zps922e3a15.jpg

IMG_8117_zps0cb8c317.jpg

IMG_8161_zpsdb3b2e94.jpg

Time for some fun! 3/4" t-molding never seems to cover 3/4" wood. There always seems to be the slightest gap showing so I used a glossy black Sharpie paint pen to paint the t-molding channel edges. After the first decal was applied and cut to shape, the edge of the artwork had white showing. I hit it again with the Sharpie paint pen which hid the edge nicely. Orange t-molding applied.

IMG_8248_zps62b14bbd.jpg

IMG_8247_zpsb3801fbe.jpg

IMG_8252_zps60dbc8f9.jpg

IMG_8254_zps7a668477.jpg

IMG_8263_zpsfc95ca91.jpg

IMG_8275_zps8779cca0.jpg

Archived