Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Shay's Cabinet

shaybe

It's an Atari cabinet. Black Widow, Gravitar, Quantum, Space Duel and a few others use the same cab design.

Awesome! Thank you for the information!

I've been out of the HS game for a little while now, mostly because of deployment last year and my son being born before that. Just downloaded RocketLauncher the other day and I am still having issues getting it working, I think it's mostly because I'm running XP. I guess I may have to wait until I update my system in a few months until everything starts running

• 2 weeks later...

Still slowly working on getting this up. I really wanted a 4:3 monitor, but I found out monitors don't get any bigger than 19", and a TV was going to be too much of a hassle. Also I did not want to spend a ton of money on an LCD arcade monitor. Much to the horror of many Arcade Enthusiasts I went with a 23" monitor off Craigslist for $60. I really wanted to maxamize the image size available, just need to adjust it down a little bit.

2gui7hi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have decided to go with the $300 build from this link

http://elitegamingcomputers.com/good-cheap-gaming-computers/

This site is constantly updated, so as of this posting the parts I am ordering will be

APU - AMD A10-6800K

MB - MSI A68HM-E33

Ram - Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB

PSU - Antec VP-450W

I already have a 2TB HD I got from New Egg a few years back, and I'm not putting the parts in a case. Thanks to Turbo Tax for adding on 10% if you put any money into an Amazon gift card, which had the best prices I found anyway. I should get the gift card in the next couple days, then I will be ordering.

Does anyone have any input on this choice?

I will be running arcade games up to Model 3 /Taito Type X2, and Consoles up to PS2/Wii

Lags a bit on some of the more current systems...despite the specs on the a10...amd seems to have issues multi tasking where video is concerned. Honestly a good video card is never a bad idea no matter what you are building....

It doesnt have to be anything crazy. I have a gtx650.

It's an Atari cabinet. Black Widow, Gravitar, Quantum, Space Duel and a few others use the same cab design.

This is correct. It looks like you have a Space Duel based on the location of the holes under the CP. At some point is was crappily converted to a Neo. Could have been any number of JAMMA games before that too.

Edit: Actually, this is partially correct. Those four games all use that cab, but they are the only four. No other games originally came in one of those Atari vector cabs, but you will see Major Havoks and Tempests in them occasionally. Not original though, those are conversions.

Normally I'd plead with you to restore this back to original, but your vector monitor is probably gone and it's the cheapest of the 4 games that came in that cab. If you had a Quantum, I'd be screaming bloody murder about your project. ($4K game) But it's just a Space Duel and it's pretty far gone. By the time you restored it, you'd have spent enough money to just buy a complete one.

This is actually a great candidate for a multi vector cab, but looks like you're going the MAME route. Good luck with the build!

I also agree about welding the CP instead of bondo. Bondo is great for rebuilding parts of the cabinet, but not for fixing control panels. One drunk friend is all it will take to undo your hard work. Virtually any machine shop could help you spot weld a new piece of metal in there or just completely rebuild the whole panel and drill new holes. The cheap way out would be to just reinforce with plexiglass on both sides and use the Control Panel Overlay to hide the existing holes. I see this kind of thing all the time. But if you're going for quality, then you gonna need to rebuild dat!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

It has been a long time since I updated this! Life has been real busy between the Navy, having another baby, and serving in the High school youth group at my Church with my wife.

I decided to buy a $2 fence post from Home Depot and cut it down to mount the monitor

qxjgaw.jpg

I had a real hard time trying to figure out power. I ended up wiring a regular power strip to the original power switch on the cabinet. I just popped out the switch on the power strip, and had a friend solder some wires to the cabinets power switch. My PC is mounted in the cabinet, and I have a push button wired to the pins that start the computer, However the settings for the PC power make it so that once I apply power via the power strip it automatically starts! So as long as that keeps working I will not need a second button to start up the machine!

vr3vja.jpg

1077wg6.jpg

I got curious one day when I saw white peaking out behind the black paint on the side. I took a little nail polish remover to it and discovered this was a Space Duel!

2llf3p1.jpg

It makes me sad to see that someone painted right over the beautiful side art. I had played with the idea of recovering the art and going with a theme to match it, but I think I have decided against that now. I am in the process of designing some artwork for the cabinet.

I had some fun Arcade times with friends, and game nights with the High School youth group, but I have decided that the four buttons is not going to cut it anymore. I decided to get back to work on the cabinet. First step was to get that control panel overlay off!

Crappy Neo Geo conversion overlay

33p7sea.jpg

Turns out this was at one time a Vendetta, which explains the even more holes under there! Pretty cool artwork

qrjb0i.jpg

This was a very tough task to get this off of here. But this method worked really well! (Would not recommend on a wooden control panel! haha)

ilk23d.jpg

I am still in the process of scraping off the goo left behind from this! I bought some bondo and am going to try and fill in some holes, and then drill some new ones. I hope it all works out! I also had some new plexi cut at Home Depot, so that should also help strengthen things a little bit!

im very new to all of this. but i had ordered the same controller boards, and it was just kinda cheap quality and had limited functionality. like i said, i probably don't know what i'm talking about, but i would personally go for an ipac or howler board

im very new to all of this. but i had ordered the same controller boards, and it was just kinda cheap quality and had limited functionality. like i said, i probably don't know what i'm talking about, but i would personally go for an ipac or howler board

I am sure the ipac is much better, but I actually have not had any issues. Maybe it is more work setting these up, but so far with joy2key profiles I have not ran into any problems, but then again I still have not fully set every system up yet because I wanted to wait until I had all the buttons on there.

Made some rough mock ups for some artwork ideas. I have not fully decided on a name yet, but I do like retrocade.

The dark gray in the design will probably be black, but for contrast reasons I left it dark gray.

#1 - The bezel is a sort of mimic of the original NES game boxes

20gebyh.png

#2 - Very rough bezel design. Thought it might be cool to have "cords" running from the CP up to the NES marquee

280m5vm.png

#3 -Combo of #1 and #2

nlqw5d.png

I am playing with the idea of throwing some character on the front edge of the control panel, but I may like the solid light gray better

2eluoav.png

And a coin reject insert I made up. Maybe this or a coin from Super Mario?

6zyr86.png

Let me know which # you think looks the best! I may not even do a bezel since I have tinted glass and don't really need one, not sure it's worth the $41 gameongrafix charges.

• 4 months later...

I finally got around to drilling out all the holes. Turns out like others said bondo does NOT work on a metal control panel.

If bondo was in the middle of the hole that I was drilling it tore away like wet cardboard.

1zaro0.jpg

Luckily the plexi is stong enough to hold everything in place. The art will cover all the holes, and maybe I will use some bondo to fill those now that drilling is done.

69lztf.jpg

Word of advice to anyone who may use an old cabinet for a hyperspin cabinet. Stay as far away from metal control panels as possible. I would have saved myself so much trouble if it were made

of wood!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice cab!

I have a converted jamma Quartet cab that I used a HP LP2065 20" 4:3 monitor in.  In fact its one of the best monitors for a mame build if you are ok with 20".   You can get them on ebay for $50 as a FYI so not sure why everyone says they cost an arm and a leg.  

Archived