Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Just bought a racing simulator

Hyperion

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I placed the TV on the bonnet last night and it's actually not that bad. A little bit tall but I have full visibility. So much in fact the I was diliberating over whether or not to hack into the bonnet and lower the TV another 60mm in the same way that the wheel is recessed into the bonnet bringing the bottom bezel all the way down to the bonnet top.

More (slow) progress:

478000_584842584873094_1639092632_o.jpg

64100_584842588206427_1545942731_n.jpg

EDIT: I still have to fit my usb switch boxes (for switching between PS3 and PC for controls), missile switches and maybe a numpad and a keyboard lift-out lap shelf. I've left the flight stick unscrewed to enable me to move it forward or back to accommodate a mouse.

Yes it does double as a simpit :D but no I don't play any flight sims (I haven't played many PC games in the past). This project is an attempt to remedy that. I'm more interested in space combat games than aeroplane sims. I'm especially keen to try out the Battlestar Galatica fan made game and some older games such as X-wing and Tie Fighter. I got X-wing for my eleventh birthdayand was reduced to tears because my computer was too slow to play it. I'm finally going to do it justice and play the hell out of it!

LOL I'm a big fan of the old XWing Vs Tie fighter series myself, one of these days I'll get around to re-installing it or maybe a dev will make a newer/better (uh almost as good) version that doesnt suck like the prequels! In any case we have some cool space sims coming if the kickstarters go well......

Do you mean Star Citizen? It does indeed look pretty cool. Any others?

Tie Fighter was superior in every way to X-Wing. But the AI in the later missions of Tie Fighter made the games unbeatable - which pissed me off after spending so much time getting that far.

From the pic, is the throttle going to be in the way of the gear shift?

Tie Fighter was superior in every way to X-Wing. But the AI in the later missions of Tie Fighter made the games unbeatable - which pissed me off after spending so much time getting that far.

From the pic, is the throttle going to be in the way of the gear shift?

The throttle lays a little flatter than in the picture and it actually doubles as a kind of arm rest while shifting. I haven't tested it extensively yet though. A mistake in the dash design meant that the gear shifter was pushed back leaving even less room for the throttle. I seriously considered leaving out the gear shift as I don't really use it much.

Plus, if the throttle really does get in the way I can just move the throttle back and out of the way temporarily as I haven't fixed it with screws. It feels stable enough without them.

Well if the throttle does end up in the way you could always make a cut out for it and make it recessed.

As for space sims theres another I've been reading about called Rogue System. WWW.SimHQ.COM is a great racing/flight/land/space sim/etc.. site that usually has a great articles on stuff like this.

EDIT: Rogue Sys article - http://simhq.com/_air15//air_543a.html

I was sitting in the cockpit last night planning where all the controls were going to go and I realised that after I put the side panels on the flight stick will actually hit the side on the right. I'm going to widen the right console by about 24mm to fix this. Moving the flight stick back and out of the way will also leave a nice amount of room for a mouse.

64100_584842588206427_1545942731_n.jpg

Well if the throttle does end up in the way you could always make a cut out for it and make it recessed.

As for space sims theres another I've been reading about called Rogue System. WWW.SimHQ.COM is a great racing/flight/land/space sim/etc.. site that usually has a great articles on stuff like this.

EDIT: Rogue Sys article - http://simhq.com/_air15//air_543a.html

I considered that but it's definitely low enough already.

More space sims can only be a good thing.

Arrgh! Last night I disassembled my G25 wheel so I could remove the bottom clamps and I forgot to replace the black knobs that are normally used to tighten the clamps. This means that I have two holes in the top of my case. It looks a bit weird and will also allow dust to get in and fudge up the greased motors inside so I tried to pull it apart again but I cross threaded a screw can't get it out. I know I could get it out eventually but the hassle!

Arrgh! Last night I disassembled my G25 wheel so I could remove the bottom clamps and I forgot to replace the black knobs that are normally used to tighten the clamps. This means that I have two holes in the top of my case.

You could try some of those hemispherical feet from ebay if you can find the right size. I'm sure you could rig something up with those.

Sexy curves btw :)

You could try some of those hemispherical feet from ebay if you can find the right size. I'm sure you could rig something up with those.

Sexy curves btw :)

Well that's some lateral thinking, right there! I'll look into it.

More pics:

The afterburner lives! It's not very obvious in this shot but it is slightly conical in shape. Not just a cylinder.

913815_585691068121579_539034900_o.jpg

The inner ring pictured is the final solution in a long design evolution. The problem of course was how to constrain and support the outer plates/fins in their inward slanting positions.

913815_585691071454912_1149470583_o.jpg

Archived