Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

46" / 30" /DMD" Planet Pinball Widebody

tyson171

Just ordered -

Vishay LEE-128G032B

PinDMD2

5v Power Supply

Looking to pull the trigger on my sound, but can't make up my mind! Here is what I'm thinking....

I'm looking for just a good all around solution, and possibly looking at splitting the rom sounds to help simulate and seperate the flipper and mechanical cabinet sounds. I like the idea of mounting 4" component speakers in the backbox for the more realistic pinball mount/look. Also looking to get a solid 2.1 system setup in preperation for possibly Zen Pinball and Pinball Arcade alongside VP (which will use a higher quality sound). Will car audio still work for sound quality if I could only get stero hookups from the computer (is there a way to get better audio to/from the pc)

So here is what i'm thinking -

Alpine MRP-F300 (Not sure what type of power supply I would need to power this? Also do i need a fuse or anything installed?)

Alpine SWR-823D (was thinking about running this free-air do to space restraints and a deep mounted playfield)

Morel Maximo 4C 4-Inch Coaxial Speakers

Quick Morel Specs -

ominal impedance: 4 ohms

Power Handling: 45W

Max. Transient Power Handling: 100W

Sensitivity (2.83V/1M): 87.5 dB

Frequency Response: 75-20,000Hz

Then running a cheaper 2.1 system for the cabinet sounds split via VP.

I'm also not dead set on car audio, I have a decent set of Logitech THX 2.1 speakers for my computer that sound great (Logitech z-2300's) which is also an option of running just maybe two seperate computer speakers, better z-2300's for main sounds, and cheaper 2.1 for cabinet sounds.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alrighty then....spend a chunk of my week trying to figure out what in the world to use for audio? I'm thinking about the following -

Anyone have any advice on the following -? (thinking about trying to use a sealed down firing enclosure for the sub around .59 ft^3). May try to incorporate the amp into the sub box if it will fit.

Dayton Audio RS100-8 4" Reference Full-Range Driver

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-352&scqty=2

Dayton Audio SD215A-88 8" DVC Subwoofer

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-484&scqty=1

Dayton Audio MCA2250E 2.1 Channel Class D Amplifier

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-771&scqty=1

I could use the RCA's or the aux input to hook up to a computer.

Also thinking of possibly building small enclosures for the speakers and just secure them down flush against the speaker panel and match the height of the speaker perfectly. Anyone see any problems with this setup or a better alternative?

So age old question -

Should I add a second flipper button on each side of my cabinet or can I get away with just one set? Already ordered one set of leaf buttons from VirtuaPin, so it will mean buying a second set. My main concern is for newer games, I thought I read somewhere they are needed for STTNG? I'm not total against black knight or earlier tables, but wont' be my main focus point. (magna save right?)

Majority of the games I'll be playing will be from the 80's on with most interest around the 90's cabs. I won't need the buttons for nudging either since I'll be going with modified tilt bobs for my setup. Right now i'm planning on just one flipper, unless its one of those things I'll regret later on?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little proof this project is real :). Making some decent progress on the cab, got almost all of my biscuit joints done, just need to cut the holes for my sub, fans, slots for tv, and slots for playfield glass, and cut my coindoor out and will be ready to glue up! Going to get a friend or two to help me next weekend for the glue up because I believe i'll need a few extra hands!

post-220-14287058704_thumb.jpg

Jig I built out of pipe clamps, final jig will have about 4 more pipe clamps total.

post-220-142870587035_thumb.jpg

Slots for biscuits!

post-220-142870587038_thumb.jpg

Biscuits! (btw does anyone pre glue their biscuits on one side first, or glue everything all at one?)

post-220-142870587042_thumb.jpg

Clamped together for the first time with Biscuits to test fitment and get some final measurements for tv and a couple more cuts.

post-220-142870587044_thumb.jpg

I'm going to use an end of stroke dual flipper addon to make my buttons run both flippers or magnasave when pushed all the way: [ATTACH=CONFIG]25095[/ATTACH]

One thing I'm trying to keep in mind is ease of playability for others that come over to my house, and I have a feeling they would stuggle with the above ideal!

• 2 weeks later...

Made some progress this weekend. Actually didn't get a chance to work on my cab all week (kinda of upset about this due to a rough week), but feel better from the past two days. Didn't take pictures, but I fixed the weird gap in the back of my cabinet from someone's suggestion to just cut a new piece! Finished all of my biscuits on cabinet bottom, and trimmed a few pieces for better fitment. Also got my play field slots routed for my tv and slots routed for the plastic that holds the glass. Still have to cut out my coin door (got the coin door from virtuapin.net, anyone have a cutting template for the real coin doors they sell?). Also still have to cut out my holes for my subwoofer and fans, bought a jasper jig so hopefully this shouldn't be to hard. Going to try and get this glued up no matter what by this weekend!

post-220-142870587677_thumb.jpg

Pictures of the Jig i used and and Plunge router for routing the play field slots.

post-220-142870587681_thumb.jpg

Measurements that I used were from the back 4" down to the start of the route (and 14.5 mm wide). From the front of the cabinet I measured in about 1 1/8" and down 3/8" to try and keep the buttons as close to factory widebody as possible. (it will be very close, probaby 3-4mm lower than the stock location for the buttons).

post-220-142870587683_thumb.jpg

Still need to do a test fitment, I hope the TV fits! Will be a pain if I have to route it any deeper!

post-220-142870587686_thumb.jpg

Also got the playfield glass plastics slot routed today. 3/32" bit is perfect for this! Plastics "snap" into place with your hands, but shouldn't need any glue or anything to help hold them, especially after paint should be perfect! I will advise though, be careful if the front of your playfield slots are close to the top of the cabinet front, this bit will cut into the slots themselves. I had to us a guide with the slot cutter so it wouldn't go to far in and cut into the slots!

post-220-142870587688_thumb.jpg

Got my cab builder kit last week, but question, what are all of these plastics for? (I know the longest ones are the holders for the glass). Anyone have a post that explains what all of these do? I don't own a real pinball cabinet, so there are somethings that are hard to picture/figure out with out any kind of reference!

One of them is the rear glass channel that holds the playfield glass in the back. It's the medium sized plastic that's pretty thick.

Then there is your side plastic glass channels, which you have already identified.

The others pieces are used to hold your backglass translite / acrylic. I custom made my backbox to fit my screens and the plastics were not long enough, so I ended up throwing them away.

Going top to bottom in the photo are your 2 metal siderails, 2 playfield side channels, H-channel for speaker panel, backglass top trim, 2 backglass side trim, backglass bottom trim channel, and playfield back channel. I ended up having to order a lot of these pieces twice because I told Virtuapin that my cabinet was 1" wider than their standard measurements and asked which pack I needed and they said standard should work fine....but all the pieces were not wide enough. Also I'm not using that H-channel because the backglass bottom channel doesn't fit into it very well and I couldn't see how anyone had used it with a nice fit to I devised another method.

Gil

Thanks to Scottpe for the idea to reinforce this tv with garage brackets. I really like the fact that the back of the case is back on now as well. This really is a great tv for these cabinets!

It was a pain cutting these, used a metal cutting blade for a skill saw, but wasn't to hard after I figured out the best method to cut them.

I used m8 1.25 x 20mm bolts and 6 washers under each bracket.

post-220-142870588159_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26024[/ATTACH]

Those edges look sharp! I hope you're planning on putting some padding or something over them. Even a layer of duct tape would be better than nothing. Anything to prevent you accidentally slicing your hand/arm/head/jugular vein/etc open would be a good idea.

Those edges look sharp! I hope you're planning on putting some padding or something over them. Even a layer of duct tape would be better than nothing. Anything to prevent you accidentally slicing your hand/arm/head/jugular vein/etc open would be a good idea.

Yeah, I put some electrical tape over the ends on mine for that very reason...

So made some decent progress lately and got the cabinet glued up today! Was nervous about the glue up, and I have to do a little sanding on my edges, but overall it turned out good from what I can tell!

post-220-142870588273_thumb.jpg

Got the coin door cut out!

post-220-142870588275_thumb.jpg

Used the jasper cutting jig for my subwoofer and intake fan, router is actually sitting towards the front of the cabinet, going to have a second sound system in the front.

post-220-142870588278_thumb.jpg

Test fit the tv today! Fits great! Had to take the weather striping out, with that in place the tv was actually pushing the stripping out! Fits good without it, so I believe I'm just going to leave it out.

post-220-14287058828_thumb.jpg

post-220-142870588282_thumb.jpg

So the glue up went pretty well, and everything is aligned pretty well, except there is a hair of overlap from my fronts and side mitter joints, but it is literally about 1/32th of overlap, so it should just sand out without an issue, at least my father in law said it will.

Anyways going to the and get the legs on this week!

Looking good! Wow, that's quite an assortment of clamps there! I think it's safe to say those sides are not moving. ;)

Thanks! Funny part is I was actually short 1 clamp! lol, was supposed to order 12 small bar clamps, and someone only got 10. I took the clamps off this evening and it feels nice and solid :) !

Couple questions, my ultimate cabinet builders kit from virtua pin didn't come with a bunch of screws, so looking for some advice on a few things -

1. What size screws does everyone use for the steel side rails? Also are these typically mounted with double sided tape and some kind of lock nut on the inside of the cabinet?

2. For general cabinet wood screws what does everyone prefer size wise? (to attach inner brackets for the legs, h channel, lock down bar lock mech, ect!

3. What size foster bits are used to countersink the buttons? I already have a 1" bit which I think i used for my arcade buttons in the past, but I've never count sunk the buttons before, so need to purchase another bit for this.

• 1 month later...

Another simple question, but since I don't have another cabinet to look at not sure how to go about this. Going to use the H-Channel on my speaker panel. My question is, does anyone have any pictures or advice on how the Plexi goes into the h channel? Do you just route a deep slot into the top of the cabinet and the plexi just sits in the h channel? Is it supposed to lock into the H-channel at all? Thanks! (This build would be a lot easier with another cabinet on hand!)

Archived