Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Has anyone here given up?

doo138

I generally don't give up but accept that sometimes my enthusiasm for making progress on a project can wane, particularly when external factors get in the way. It's best just to accept it and not feel bad about the fact you've stopped.

If you look at a half finished project and feel guilty about not finishing it for any reason, it turns into a burden/guilt trip rather than something which should be an enjoyable and rewarding process.

There have been some projects I've started and genuinely thought that it's not turning out how I anticipated so I've ditched them.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much have we all learned from being here? Software, hardware, communication, we've made friends or acquaintances, created artwork and marvelled at it. 

All skills you can use again for leisure or work. Now who says it's a waste of time?

Edit: Lets not forget the teachers and how rewarding it is to help others.

I want to build a cocktail table, but i really want the screen to rotate and that's a little scary both in cost and getting it working. I know I can do it just need to clear out the shed :)

And I want those servo sticks.

Rotating screen ?

Ready when you are mate :)

Been building stuff for the last 10 years.  Have given up many times.  Always come back, and like others, have ditched a project when it's not going well.

Right now I'm half way through a Naomi total rebuild, plus I have another in the garage.  And I've finished a small arcade stick to a high standard.  Would love a pinball, but I'm not going there...

I've got 17 years in emulation, and about 12 total in planning for a cab. My ex-wife despised video games, although ironically enough, she didn't mind playing PS1 games with me when we were dating, I guess her true colors came out after I slapped the ring on her finger lol. She would never let me build a cab, even knowing how bad I wanted one because A) she didn't see the point in spending upwards of $3000+ dollars on something when I could just use a joystick on my computer and she said there would be no way in hell she would have a gigantic 4-player monstrosity in her living room. Well, that was 4 years ago. Now, I'm divorced and have been living with the love of my life for the last 3, who not only loves video games, but wants to build a cab more than I do! When I showed her HS and the ideas I had been kicking around for years and years about a cab, her exact words were, "Hell yes, when are we building that bitch?!?!" So after going over probably 20-30 different cab designs and coming to mutual agreements on hardware, she preferred Happ sticks and buttons at first, but after a couple of days on MAME with my SFIV Fight Stick that has actual Sanwa parts in it, she's converted :P Since I have the software side covered, we decided we are going to build the cab in phases. Phase 1 will be the wood for the cab, paint, T-molding, and the printed artwork. Phase 2 will be the purchase of the hardware, the joysticks, buttons, Aimtraks, steering wheel, etc. Phase 3 will be the purchase of the cabs own PC, as my personal PC will be a placeholder so we can use the cab until we give it it's own "guts". So after almost 20 years of waiting, am I giving up? Nope. I will have my cab, might take another year, but I will have it :D

I want to build a cocktail table, but i really want the screen to rotate and that's a little scary both in cost and getting it working. I know I can do it just need to clear out the shed :)

And I want those servo sticks.

ServoStiks are amazing. I love mine!

I gave up on the rest of life once I found my true love ( hyperspin ) lol

But no, It's been an on-again, off-again relationship... but I've never given up. Though I've only been at it a little over a year at this point.

Currently I am using a Lenovo 2-in-1 Laptop as my hyperspin machine.

Intel 2.13ghz dual core Pentium
4gb RAM
Intel HD 4200 Graphics (integrated)

I know that probably sounds atrocious to many of you haha. But it plays all the way up to the Sega Saturn flawlessly (to my surprise, I thought I'd be lucky to play N64)

Anyway, the things portability, USB ports and HDMI-out mean that I can use it as an actual console.
This is on top of other changes I've made like combining the 32X, Genesis, & Sega CD into a single console.

The same with GB/C/A, and TurboGrafx 16, CD, & Super, and NGP/C.

Also the meticulous nature in which I systematically ensure every ROM, Media file, and XML is listed as their proper names ( Ie. Super Mario Bros 2 (v1.1) (rev B) is just Super Mario Bros. 2.) Deleted all the CRC, Clone of, Genre, and Rating information to make the XML easier to navigate/edit as well.

Ooh and last, but certainly not least, custom themes for every wheel, re-recorded videos for a good chunk of games (Watch the MAME video for SegaSonic the Hedgehog for a good example of why making your own is worth it) And an all around cleaner, retro-box art looking interface.

SkyHighGam3b0x, by SkyHighGam3r

Details? What is the adapter?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

The U360 joystick is their model above the servostick. It is an all-in-one that can switch between:

-Analog joystick, 42 way, 8 way, 4 way, 4 way diagonal, 2 way vert, 2 way horizontal

It can even mimic mouse input as well as your own custom tweaked maps.

They also have an adaptor you can add to it which makes it into a rotary joystick as well for games like Ikari Warriors, Heavy Barrel etc...

I'm changing my panel to have a U360 as the main sticks for players 1 & 2, and moving my existing Happ joysticks up and right so both players have a two joystick setup (for twinstick games like Smash TV, Robotron Geometry Wars 3 etc...). 6 buttons per player just doesn't cut it so I'm bumping the button count to 8. Also adding a track ball and many more admin buttons and debating on spinners.

After that almost anything should be playable. Analog games, PC games that require mouse, twin-sticks, rotation, diagonals like Qbert or Congo Bongo etc...

I've just been reading the Retroblast review of the Ustick, very tempting. I like the fact it can be programmed  for games like Q-Bert, Star Wars and 2 way for Defender.

Do we have our own joystick review thread?

I've just been reading the Retroblast review of the Ustick, very tempting. I like the fact it can be programmed for games like Q-Bert, Star Wars and 2 way for Defender.

Do we have our own joystick review thread?

We should! [emoji6]

I have not ever thought about giving up not my style. Life seems to always have something pop up or god is trying to always get even whether its bills family, work, the vehicle breaking down it never ends. I have just recently started getting back into the gaming world after having multiple consoles nothing beats a arcade cab I have built a replica of the wee-cade in December of last year and have purchased a complete working original dk cab thing looks amazing. Now starting a galaga cab rebuild. I have tons of projects but never give up since it is the only thing that keeps me from losing my mind lol, Now that I have discovered hyperspin I want to give this a go hope everything works out seems complicated but I'm sure there are tons of people willing to help on this journey.  

Sorry for the long story line new member and first post 

Lol and i thought setting my 3TB hard drive up for 3-4 weeks was a long time :)

I Bought a 4:3 Bartop already done and put my PC and HD in, about a month ago, i now have an Ebay Flat Pack Wide Screen Cab, painted up just awaiting artwork to arrive, then gonna put my PC etc in the new widescreen and in the other 4:3 i will put my Original Xbox with Coinops in.

Next up will be a Custom Bartop Pinball looking at doing a 24inch monitor and a 12-15inch monitor for the top screen.

At one point you just have to say "stop" and call your machine done. Is starts to grate on nerves if you are 99% hoarding/setting up stuff and 1% playing, next thing you know you start to get disgusted and "throw in the towel".

Hell, TBH at one point, I wanted to format my whole setup due to the fact I was just disgusted with working on stuff  but that's what 5 years of dicking with this stuff can do to you, but real life/responsibilities come first.

But does the restrictor auto rotate via LEDBlinky, like the ServoStik?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Are you asking about that U360 joystick? Nothing auto-rotates on it. It's all done in software so there's no physical restrictor to make it (for example) a 2-way for Defender. It re-maps the controller so pressing left or right does nothing, only up/down.

At one point you just have to say "stop" and call your machine done. Is starts to grate on nerves if you are 99% hoarding/setting up stuff and 1% playing, next thing you know you start to get disgusted and "throw in the towel".

Hell, TBH at one point, I wanted to format my whole setup due to the fact I was just disgusted with working on stuff  but that's what 5 years of dicking with this stuff can do to you, but real life/responsibilities come first.

And on that note can I remind all you so called retro gamers out there of the HyperScore Challenge. 

We have nearly 66000 members and only, wait for it....7 are joining in. Lol.

I know we are all busy or terrible at games but it is good fun and you do get better. Or just join in the chat.

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/9691-hyperscore-challenge-15-ghosts-n-goblins/

We have nearly 66000 members 

What? Where at all these people? Been coming here for 2 years and have never even seen 1% of those 66000 people. 

A purge should be in the cards going forward.

I would join but I'm busy trying to finish Fallout New Vegas before Fallout 4 comes out! Are the HyperScore Challenge games available for the Pip-Boy?

Archived