Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Sharing my MAME .162 HLSL settings

griffin518

Hi all,

I've spent some time tweaking my HLSL settings under MAMEUIFX (thanks for the builds Jumpstile!), and since I haven't seen any posted recently I thought I'd share my settings. These are what I'm using with MAMEUIFX .162, and are based on Jezze's personal settings (with some tuning of my own) found in this thread: http://mame32fx.altervista.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190. My machine is a bit older (~2010) and these work great for me on a 1080p 16:9 monitor. The key to performance on an older system is using a shadow-mask that can support reduced hlsl_prescale_x and hlsl_prescale_y settings. The higher the settings, the more GPU horsepower needed.

#
# CORE SCREEN OPTIONS
#
brightness                1.0
contrast                  1.0
gamma                     1.0
pause_brightness          0.65
effect                    none
widestretch               0

#
# DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
hlsl_enable               1
hlslpath                  hlsl
hlsl_prescale_x           0
hlsl_prescale_y           0
hlsl_preset               -1
hlsl_write                
hlsl_snap_width           1920
hlsl_snap_height          1080
shadow_mask_alpha         0.5
shadow_mask_texture       shadow-mask.png
shadow_mask_x_count       6
shadow_mask_y_count       4
shadow_mask_usize         0.1875
shadow_mask_vsize         0.25
shadow_mask_uoffset       0.0
shadow_mask_voffset       0.0
curvature                 0.20
round_corner              0.20
reflection                0.00
vignetting                0.20
scanline_alpha            0.75
scanline_size             1.0
scanline_height           1.0
scanline_bright_scale     1.5
scanline_bright_offset    0.0
scanline_jitter           0.0
defocus                   1.0,0.0
converge_x                0.0,0.0,0.0
converge_y                0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_x         0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_y         0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio                 1.05,0.00,0.10
grn_ratio                 -0.10,1.00,0.25
blu_ratio                 -0.25,0.25,1.25
saturation                1.25
offset                    -0.30,-0.20,-0.05
scale                     1.15,1.05,0.90
power                     0.90,0.90,1.15
floor                     0.05,0.05,0.05
phosphor_life             0.4,0.4,0.4

#
# BLOOM POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
vector_bloom_scale        0.50
raster_bloom_scale        0.50
bloom_lvl0_weight         1.00
bloom_lvl1_weight         0.64
bloom_lvl2_weight         0.32
bloom_lvl3_weight         0.16
bloom_lvl4_weight         0.08
bloom_lvl5_weight         0.04
bloom_lvl6_weight         0.04
bloom_lvl7_weight         0.02
bloom_lvl8_weight         0.02
bloom_lvl9_weight         0.01
bloom_lvl10_weight        0.01

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gave them a try seems fine by me.  Thanks for sharing I was not using it before.  I just had to turn the curve off it was killing me.  Just too bad the colors always get washed out with hlsl, but I guess that is the point.  Will keep testing it out with games and see how it goes.  Looks more like the originals anyway.  I just liked the vibrant colours on my arcade lcd.  :)

I've completely switched to GLSL now after being a big fan of HLSL. Using the geom shader for horizontal  games and Lottes shader for vertical. 

GLSL may work better on an older machine as well although I can't test it.

I've completely switched to GLSL now after being a big fan of HLSL. Using the geom shader for horizontal games and Lottes shader for vertical.

GLSL may work better on an older machine as well although I can't test it.

Interesting to see you've turned to the dark side so quickly young skywalker.[emoji48]

Gig, not had time to look at GLSL yet do you have a brief tutorial for us noobs or a good post without the chaf?

Interesting to see you've turned to the dark side so quickly young skywalker.[emoji48]

Gig, not had time to look at GLSL yet do you have a brief tutorial for us noobs or a good post without the chaf?

Lol. And your no noob Mr Potts.

I suppose I turned just to get a different look, with mame ini's the way they are it's easy to switch between. 

And you're lucky I'll be doing an updated guide any day maybe tonight even.

I gave them a try seems fine by me.  Thanks for sharing I was not using it before.  I just had to turn the curve off it was killing me.  Just too bad the colors always get washed out with hlsl, but I guess that is the point.  Will keep testing it out with games and see how it goes.  Looks more like the originals anyway.  I just liked the vibrant colours on my arcade lcd.   :)

The washed out colors were fixed in 162 for me. No trouble with that anymore.

What version MAME are you running?

I tried GLSL, but it doesn't look as "real" as the HLSL when compared to my actual Neo-Geo arcade machine

The washed out colors were fixed in 162 for me. No trouble with that anymore.

What version MAME are you running?

I tried GLSL, but it doesn't look as "real" as the HLSL when compared to my actual Neo-Geo arcade machine

162. It does look good don't get me wrong. :)

Happy to share! I've found that I like HLSL better than GLSL with the recent enhancements (especially fixing the wash-out issue), but to each their own. I'm just happy to have sparked some renewed thought around the topic of shader settings.

Nice video Giga. I like that you got a bit more in depth with this one explaining some things.

Remember my bezel thread where I posted a template to make your own? Well that template has the outer screen edge shaded a bit like the GLSL that you like.

Nice video. Great comparison pics. I actually like the Glsl better. Love the curved 3d beveled edges. Going to try this later! Thanks for doing this.

You can get curved 3d beveled edges in HLSL as well.  With the new settings in 162 they have incorporated Jezze's work and you can adjust the amout of curvature, corner roundness, reflection and vignetting all in mame.ini

Griffin518's settings has most of those turned on, maybe he can post a picture.  Gigapig's video must just have them truned down. 

I'd be happy to post some screenshots, but I can't for the life of me seem to get them to come out right. What settings or software should I use? F12 in MAMEUIFX produces tiny images and print screen only gives me a solid black image.

The settings work fine when I use mame independently, but when I use hyperspin, the effect isn't there. Going crazy trying to figure this out. Do I have to turn something else on in rocket launcher? Any help appreciated.

EDIT: Ok I watched the video above and I got it now. Didn't know about turning it on in Rocket Launcher.

@cmoses Thanks for the suggestion, Fraps works great!

Here are a handful of screenshots against a black background and with no bezel. I have a couple where I'm showing motion so you can see the phosphor effects as well. Sorry they're so huge... the bigger the better, right? I used imgur's crop function, so that's why they're uneven looking. I also added a little reflection to the third Ms. Pacman shot so you could see it's effect.

gCTQXt9.png?1

yR5ZLoo.png?1

mQCFTKy.png?1

eZ7tFyB.png?1

V9ysWiE.png?1

DjRDEDT.png?1

That's some extreme screen curve you have there.

I noticed in your .ini that you are use the texture "shadow-mask.png", but in my MAME 162 it is actually called ShadowMask.png

post-58638-0-48917000-1434730481_thumb.png

Is yours name differently or do you have a different file than mine? If not then you may not even be loading a texture mask.

EDIT: I'll post mine soon. Been spending hours fine tuning my settings by having my Hyperspin cab set side by side with my real Neo-Geo cab running the same games. I almost have my HLSL set to look exactly like the real thing, but I'm having trouble getting the color matched perfectly (red settings are killing me).

Gah! You're right! Good catch!

I've made the change along with a couple of other tweaks (reduced curve a little, etc). Here's a new GnG screenshot. Updated settings are below.

SdYoUEJ.png?1

Settings used to produce the above results:

#
# CORE SCREEN OPTIONS
#
brightness                1.0
contrast                  1.0
gamma                     1.0
pause_brightness          0.65
effect                    none
widestretch               0

#
# DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
hlsl_enable               1
hlslpath                  hlsl
hlsl_prescale_x           0
hlsl_prescale_y           0
hlsl_preset               -1
hlsl_write                
hlsl_snap_width           1920
hlsl_snap_height          1080
shadow_mask_alpha         0.5
shadow_mask_texture       ShadowMask.png
shadow_mask_x_count       6
shadow_mask_y_count       4
shadow_mask_usize         0.1875
shadow_mask_vsize         0.25
shadow_mask_uoffset       0.0
shadow_mask_voffset       0.0
curvature                 0.20
round_corner              0.15
reflection                0.00
vignetting                0.20
scanline_alpha            0.75
scanline_size             1.0
scanline_height           1.0
scanline_bright_scale     1.5
scanline_bright_offset    0.0
scanline_jitter           0.0
defocus                   1.0,0.0
converge_x                0.0,0.0,0.0
converge_y                0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_x         0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_y         0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio                 1.05,0.00,0.10
grn_ratio                 -0.10,1.00,0.25
blu_ratio                 -0.25,0.25,1.25
saturation                1.25
offset                    -0.30,-0.20,-0.05
scale                     1.15,1.05,0.90
power                     0.90,0.90,1.15
floor                     0.05,0.05,0.05
phosphor_life             0.4,0.4,0.4

#
# BLOOM POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
vector_bloom_scale        0.50
raster_bloom_scale        0.50
bloom_lvl0_weight         1.00
bloom_lvl1_weight         0.64
bloom_lvl2_weight         0.32
bloom_lvl3_weight         0.16
bloom_lvl4_weight         0.08
bloom_lvl5_weight         0.04
bloom_lvl6_weight         0.04
bloom_lvl7_weight         0.02
bloom_lvl8_weight         0.02
bloom_lvl9_weight         0.01
bloom_lvl10_weight        0.01

That's what I thought, a real CRT doesn't have just horizontal scan lines, it also has the vertical cell look that your first pics were missing that the masking adds (and that the GLSL screens seem to be missing).

Your new pic looks much more like an actual CRT monitor. I'd recommend putting jitter at 0.05 too to give a very slight pixel flicker effect.

Your saturation is at 125, how do Neo-Geo games look with that setting for you? Neo Geo games already seem to be highly saturated and on mine if that setting is above 110 Geo Games look blown out. Curious how yours look.

I using a 55 inch plasma screen so I ended up taking off the rounded edges, the saturation boost and the phosphor. Toned down the bloom effects as well. Looks great now. I'm sure that if I was using a cabinet, I'd want all the settings. Great set up.

I'm up in Newcastle Upon Tyne and stumbled on Game 2.0 at the Life Centre.

There were loads of old systems to play and a small arcade section with game like Defender, Track & Field, Missile Commmand, Mappy and a cocktail with Phoenix. 

So I decided to take notice of the display and looked specifically for scanlines. What I found was a lack of scanlines, they were closer to the Timothy Lottes shader.

What I found even more interesting was Asteroids. Many people on this forum bang on about the point marks and bloom. None of those were present, the only thing to note was the phosphor trails and how bright the bullets were. No beam flicker either, it was closest to Mame with no hlsl or beam flicker. I suppose it depends on how old the hardware is, I personally prefer the look to be fresh from the factory.

I also had a good on a Virtual boy which did give me a bit of motion sickness after a few minutes. It looked good though.

Archived