Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Sharing my MAME .162 HLSL settings

griffin518

I think it may be the shaders in place. I don't think they get shrunk with the rest of the screen.

I've been playing around with it a little more and have had some success with changing the following lines:

shadow_mask_texture       Scanlines_Normal_Vert.png

scanline_jitter           0.00

Seems to make the picture a bit more clear. I found that there are some other vertical PNG masks in the folder as well, and liked the "normal" on the best. I'll keep tweaking things, but it's OK for now I guess.

Edit: Interestingly Ms Pacman looks great with the normal HLSL settings. It launches as horizontal (or default MAME) in RL, but vertical if using MAMEUIFX directly. I wonder why that is... 

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using Jumpstile's MAMEUIFX 1.63, have an r7 260x.  I will have to check within the UI again, everything I saw there look like things I had tried within the .ini file.  Thanks for your help, definitely encouraging that you guys aren't experiencing the tearing, I had almost given up.

Has anyone tried out MAME .163 yet?  Just released last week.  Doesn't look like much change to HLSL other than some tweaking of the vignetting settings by Jezze.

From the mamedev.org readme file

-Changed vignetting simulation [ImJezze]      * removed screen ratio influence      * changed radius, blur and intensity      * fixed roundness of rounded corners; the default aspect ratio of 4:3        should not be stretched anymore when the source has another ratio      * disabled blurring of rounded corners      * some cleanup      * something was messed up on the last commit

I take back my earlier statement about vertical games w/bezels... the shrinking just doesn't render properly. It's almost as if the screen is blurry or fuzzy. I've just turned it off via a separate ini file until I (or we) figure this out.

Vertical

Horizont

Vector

Mame

Are typically used...correct spellings.

Please remember if you set the ini to write 1 then it will create per game ini's but based off your mame.ini. Hlsl sliders are not saved. It's a bug. So if you mess with the sliders you need to write them down and edit the game ini manually. The Glsl OpenGL sliders are saved automatically.

To be clear. If I have a horizont.ini & a vertical.ini, then I don't need one named mame.ini also right?

My concern would be that some games don't properly identify themselves as either horizontal or vertical, in which case they would default to using mame.ini. My initial testing has led me to believe the best way to proceed is to just have a mame.ini and vertical.ini versus all three.

• 2 weeks later...

The pics look awesome! 

But WHY when I apply your settings do I get a moire or rainbow pattern? Ive tried changing the png file, the prescale and count and I cant seem to get it gone.

I AM running my 50" screen SIDEWAYS so my resolution is 1080x1920. 

any help would be appreciated.

So at the moment - other than the shader png image, im running the EXACT settings as listed by Metalzoic above, and paused on the same neo geo game (at a white transition screen), this is how it looks - blocky and rainbowish.

what do I change to make this look smooth? Im sure its scaling of something..

post-1978-0-33886900-1436928502_thumb.jpg

The pics look awesome! 

But WHY when I apply your settings do I get a moire or rainbow pattern? Ive tried changing the png file, the prescale and count and I cant seem to get it gone.

I AM running my 50" screen SIDEWAYS so my resolution is 1080x1920. 

any help would be appreciated.

Who are you talking too? Who's settings?

And I'm not sure. You're using an oversize screen so the mask will have to be made smaller to match the pixel look of a smaller monitor, but what the perfect setting for your is I don't know.

Whoops - sorry about that! I guess I looked at the wrong post - looks like it was griffins settings I guess.

In any case - could you tell me which setting will make the mask smaller? Im still a bit fuzzy on which setting does what in the HLSL parameters.

Thanks!

Whoops - sorry about that! I guess I looked at the wrong post - looks like it was griffins settings I guess.

In any case - could you tell me which setting will make the mask smaller? Im still a bit fuzzy on which setting does what in the HLSL parameters.

Thanks!

Try using this:

shadow_mask_texture       SlotMask.png

and then try making these smaller (but let's see how it looks with SlotMask first):

shadow_mask_usize         0.1875
shadow_mask_vsize         0.1875

Cool, glad they seem to look good on your setups too.

I absolutely LOVE your settings.  I was using lottes GLSL  which looked great but the color was still off to the true arcade CRT.  I then checked yours and the comparisons to the real arcades were in check. KI, MK, double dragon - all matched.  Here is the only question. Mine has a slight pixelation that GLSL didn't have. How do I just smooth a tad - not a lot just a smidge?  I already use bilinear filtering (or whatever it's called).  Mostly can tell on games like Mortal Kombat - 

btw I moved saturation to .018 from .040.  Really matched perfectly (although thats prob b/c of how my monitor is setup compared to yours).  GREAT JOB!

I absolutely LOVE your settings.  I was using lottes GLSL  which looked great but the color was still off to the true arcade CRT.  I then checked yours and the comparisons to the real arcades were in check. KI, MK, double dragon - all matched.  Here is the only question. Mine has a slight pixelation that GLSL didn't have. How do I just smooth a tad - not a lot just a smidge?  I already use bilinear filtering (or whatever it's called).  Mostly can tell on games like Mortal Kombat - 

btw I moved saturation to .018 from .040.  Really matched perfectly (although thats prob b/c of how my monitor is setup compared to yours).  GREAT JOB!

For the smoothing you might try playing with the x, y defocus a bit. Maybe take the y defocus up .05 or so. That's off the top of my head though.

I haven't even tweaked or played with these settings since I got them to that point.

I agree that some color tweaking will be a bit different depending on peoples displays. Glad it mostly works for you though.

For the smoothing you might try playing with the x, y defocus a bit. Maybe take the y defocus up .05 or so. That's off the top of my head though.

I haven't even tweaked or played with these settings since I got them to that point.

I agree that some color tweaking will be a bit different depending on peoples displays. Glad it mostly works for you though.

Thanks - if you find out exact settings to change, lmk. I will try the defocus change tonight.

so i tried this and it worked a little but it's really these jaggies I see on the characters (like sub zero in MK1).  Anyway to smooth the jaggies?

so i tried this and it worked a little but it's really these jaggies I see on the characters (like sub zero in MK1). Anyway to smooth the jaggies?

Can you post a screen shot showing your "jaggies" ? This way we can compare to our own and see if it is the same or different.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you post a screen shot showing your "jaggies" ? This way we can compare to our own and see if it is the same or different.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well i changed the settings a little more and now it's perfect - like literally perfect.  looks so good.  changed my defocus to 2.0 for both.  Vertical games are 1.5 and 2.  great job on those settings - they should be front page for this website.

well i changed the settings a little more and now it's perfect - like literally perfect.  looks so good.  changed my defocus to 2.0 for both.  Vertical games are 1.5 and 2.  great job on those settings - they should be front page for this website.

Thanks. I literally spent hours upon hours staring back and forth at both screens making minor adjustments to get it there.

Thanks for sharing settings.  I've never been able to get HLSL to work very well, so seeing different groups of settings helps out.  All the ones in here look a lot better than I've ever been able to achieve, but the coloring is a bit off (to my eyes at least).  Especially the BIOS in Ghouls n' Ghosts, the text is blue-ish instead of gray.

I've tweaked Lottes_CRT (GLSL) based on a few actual NES and SNES carts I have comparing to Retroarch (same shader).  I then just ported the changed settings into the GLSL files for MAME.  This is basically what I use for all horizontal and vertical games with different ini files.

I have bloom turned off for this PC as it makes it crawl.  My actual arcade cabinet has a 750TI, so bloom is on there.

Here's an album with a number of horizontal and vertical games full screen caps.  If you view them, just make sure you view them at 100%.  http://imgur.com/a/pY3lW

4b03gg9.png

Well I found something out about my issue - I think. Does the type of tv make a difference? Because if I put the image on my 29" marquee monitor it looks perfect! but on my RCA 60hz 50" it still isnt defined. I managed to tweak the settings a bit to make it look better - but still not as good as id like. 

Anyone else have a similar issue?

I've adjusted my settings as well, beyond what I or Metalzoic originally posted. This got me thinking... We've got a great group of people working on this and I'd really like to see the momentum continue, even over time and across shader changes, MAME version changes, etc.

If anyone's up for it I think we, as a group, should set a standard for how we post results. One piece of this would be getting consistent with how we post settings and screenshots; in what order, what to include vs leave out, screenshot resolution, etc. The other thought I had was that we should pick a couple of games (1-3?) to use for screenshot purposes. Perhaps we may even want to pick one or two screens from each game to screenshot as well. Each time we post results, we should post images from each game in the testing set.

Example:

• Screenshot of Ghouls title screen
  • Screenshot of Ghouls screen right as the game starts
  • Screenshot of Ms. Pacman title screen with all ghosts lined up and Ms. Pacman coming across the middle
  • Screenshot of Ms. Pacman right at the start

We should have a mix of horizontal and vertical, newer and old, yet keep the list small. Other standards would include no bezels, launched directly from MAME or MAMEUIFX, etc.

I think if we did this it could provide a consistent record of visual results across settings and across versions of games, MAME, and type of shaders (HLSL vs GLSL vs who knows what). This allows people to compare their results to others in an apples-to-apples manner, very consistently.

We all have different setups, and like @parabolic, we have people using different display technologies. 

Thanks for sharing settings.  I've never been able to get HLSL to work very well, so seeing different groups of settings helps out.  All the ones in here look a lot better than I've ever been able to achieve, but the coloring is a bit off (to my eyes at least).  Especially the BIOS in Ghouls n' Ghosts, the text is blue-ish instead of gray.

I've tweaked Lottes_CRT (GLSL) based on a few actual NES and SNES carts I have comparing to Retroarch (same shader).  I then just ported the changed settings into the GLSL files for MAME.  This is basically what I use for all horizontal and vertical games with different ini files.

I have bloom turned off for this PC as it makes it crawl.  My actual arcade cabinet has a 750TI, so bloom is on there.

Here's an album with a number of horizontal and vertical games full screen caps.  If you view them, just make sure you view them at 100%.  http://imgur.com/a/pY3lW

4b03gg9.png

That looks great!

Archived