Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Sharing my MAME .162 HLSL settings

griffin518

Sorry for this dumb newbie question.  Does these Shading Language applies to anyone using a 6:9 widescreen monitor or just for CRT users?  And my games looks pixelated (like Minecraft blocks)?  Trying to smooth out the character lines.  Cuz it's so hard to make out the characters face in the games.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for this dumb newbie question.  Does these Shading Language applies to anyone using a 6:9 widescreen monitor or just for CRT users?  And my games looks pixelated (like Minecraft blocks)?  Trying to smooth out the character lines.  Cuz it's so hard to make out the characters face in the games.

No question is dumb, there are only dumb answers. We were all newbies once, don't let us forget it.

These shader settings are really geared towards LCD users, to try and replication the look of games on their original CRT arcade monitors. The scan lines and vertical pixelation all play a part in this. Screen resolution, orientation, and aspect ratio do not matter. What we've shared applies to all shapes and sizes of displays.

Try out the settings... you'll see that the shader will make those pixelated games look a LOT better. Ignoring graphics hardware limitations, games were designed to look good on the old types of displays, and these settings attempt to accurately mimic that.

No question is dumb, there are only dumb answers. We were all newbies once, don't let us forget it.

These shader settings are really geared towards LCD users, to try and replication the look of games on their original CRT arcade monitors. The scan lines and vertical pixelation all play a part in this. Screen resolution, orientation, and aspect ratio do not matter. What we've shared applies to all shapes and sizes of displays.

Try out the settings... you'll see that the shader will make those pixelated games look a LOT better. Ignoring graphics hardware limitations, games were designed to look good on the old types of displays, and these settings attempt to accurately mimic that.

Great!!!!  Then this will be exactly what i'm hoping for.  I'll give it a shot once i understands a bit more, cuz anything gotta do with editing files is totally foreign language to me.  Gonna search & re-read this thread again for more understanding of the process.  Thanks for sharing the settings.

The settings I posted earlier (and the vid) are from my BenQ 27" lcd gaming monitor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So where are we at this point with the "generally approved" HLSL settings? I took a couple months off my cab but now im ready to try again - I just cant seem to get my pic close to whats been posted here. Id like a baseline to start from. Also some clarity of exactly WHAT to change for WHAT effect.

Thanks!

So where are we at this point with the "generally approved" HLSL settings? I took a couple months off my cab but now im ready to try again - I just cant seem to get my pic close to whats been posted here. Id like a baseline to start from. Also some clarity of exactly WHAT to change for WHAT effect.

Thanks!

There are several sets of settings already in this topic you can use as a base. The descriptions of the settings I just found through an internet search, can't remember where though.

hello guys i have now integrated the new mame 165 in hyperspin and have slowdowns with bezel enabled anyone knows whats causing this problem?

I doubt it's the bezels... how old is your machine? You might be getting slow downs from the HLSL or GLSL (whichever you've implemented).

okay guys thanks i will try this out also try out the original mame not mameuifx have heard that the ui exe can make problems too. and i dont think that my pc is the problem have an i7 3770 k overclocked to 5 ghz if i enable this 16 gb  2133 mhz  ram and a gtx 680 4 gb jetstream should handle this i think

and i have enabled hlsl with yours and metazolic inis griffin looks great

okay guys thanks i will try this out also try out the original mame not mameuifx have heard that the ui exe can make problems too. and i dont think that my pc is the problem have an i7 3770 k overclocked to 5 ghz if i enable this 16 gb  2133 mhz  ram and a gtx 680 4 gb jetstream should handle this i think

and i have enabled hlsl with yours and metazolic inis griffin looks great

Glad you're liking the settings. I'd recommend using the MAMEUIFX version of MAME though. Easier to use and much easier to setup and I've never had any trouble with it.

have anyone here glsl settings too because if you enable hlsl and hyperlaunch some games are laggy with glsl works better

There isn't really any settings for GLSL as it works in a slightly different way. Make sure you are using a mame version higher than 0.160 and make sure you have all the extra files.

You can follow this if you need to.

Thanks for your super HLSL ini griffin. :D

Is this for horizontal or what about vertical?

Anyone using both HLSL and GLSL for horizontal/vertical games?

Also, if I just have mame.ini (as of now) all games will use this as ini? Or....

Cheers from the filter-noob

Thanks for your super HLSL ini griffin. :D

Is this for horizontal or what about vertical?

Anyone using both HLSL and GLSL for horizontal/vertical games?

Also, if I just have mame.ini (as of now) all games will use this as ini? Or....

Cheers from the filter-noob

I have 4 ini files, the horizontal, vertical, Mame and vector. The Mame one has my old hlsl settings and isn't used anymore. The Horizontal and verticals have different settings for glsl and the vector has no shaders assigned as I want it to look clean without bloom or flicker.

cool! So if I want to use the HLSL from griffin for vertical.ini, what do I have to change compared to the horizontal.ini? is it the mask only?

(or maybe go for HLSL in the horizontal and GLSL lottes vertical) this is so hard  :woot:

thanks for the super quick reply piggy!

cool! So if I want to use the HLSL from griffin for vertical.ini, what do I have to change compared to the horizontal.ini? is it the mask only?

(or maybe go for HLSL in the horizontal and GLSL lottes vertical) this is so hard  :woot:

thanks for the super quick reply piggy!

No problem gstav, you could do it per game as well if you have enough time on your hands :)

Here are my ini files. I was using Geom for vertical but I've changed it just for you. It should be OK if your using Mame 0.165

ini.zip

Archived