Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Sharing my MAME .162 HLSL settings

griffin518

Hi Metalzoic,

thanks again for your help yesterday, I applied your latest settings to my mame.ini file but apparently I need to adjust something, everything looks white, very weird. I don't have a screenshot but will get one as soon as I can.

What I did notice, ( after applying your settings ) is that the mame version I have is 1.64, so I guess your changes won't fix my issue because of my MAME version?

Could be. Those settings were posted a while ago. Although I am still using them right now with 169... Ah, it's also possible I'm using a shader that you don't have in your HLSL library too.

Try Griffs and Gigas instead.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be. Those settings were posted a while ago. Although I am still using them right now with 169... Ah, it's also possible I'm using a shader that you don't have in your HLSL library too.

Try Griffs and Gigas instead.

cool, I'll those a try and let you know how it goes, thanks 

Hi all,

I've spent some time tweaking my HLSL settings under MAMEUIFX (thanks for the builds Jumpstile!), and since I haven't seen any posted recently I thought I'd share my settings. These are what I'm using with MAMEUIFX .162, and are based on Jezze's personal settings (with some tuning of my own) found in this thread: http://mame32fx.altervista.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190. My machine is a bit older (~2010) and these work great for me on a 1080p 16:9 monitor. The key to performance on an older system is using a shadow-mask that can support reduced hlsl_prescale_x and hlsl_prescale_y settings. The higher the settings, the more GPU horsepower needed.

#
# CORE SCREEN OPTIONS
#
brightness                1.0
contrast                  1.0
gamma                     1.0
pause_brightness          0.65
effect                    none
widestretch               0

#
# DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
hlsl_enable               1
hlslpath                  hlsl
hlsl_prescale_x           0
hlsl_prescale_y           0
hlsl_preset               -1
hlsl_write                
hlsl_snap_width           1920
hlsl_snap_height          1080
shadow_mask_alpha         0.5
shadow_mask_texture       shadow-mask.png
shadow_mask_x_count       6
shadow_mask_y_count       4
shadow_mask_usize         0.1875
shadow_mask_vsize         0.25
shadow_mask_uoffset       0.0
shadow_mask_voffset       0.0
curvature                 0.20
round_corner              0.20
reflection                0.00
vignetting                0.20
scanline_alpha            0.75
scanline_size             1.0
scanline_height           1.0
scanline_bright_scale     1.5
scanline_bright_offset    0.0
scanline_jitter           0.0
defocus                   1.0,0.0
converge_x                0.0,0.0,0.0
converge_y                0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_x         0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_y         0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio                 1.05,0.00,0.10
grn_ratio                 -0.10,1.00,0.25
blu_ratio                 -0.25,0.25,1.25
saturation                1.25
offset                    -0.30,-0.20,-0.05
scale                     1.15,1.05,0.90
power                     0.90,0.90,1.15
floor                     0.05,0.05,0.05
phosphor_life             0.4,0.4,0.4

#
# BLOOM POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
vector_bloom_scale        0.50
raster_bloom_scale        0.50
bloom_lvl0_weight         1.00
bloom_lvl1_weight         0.64
bloom_lvl2_weight         0.32
bloom_lvl3_weight         0.16
bloom_lvl4_weight         0.08
bloom_lvl5_weight         0.04
bloom_lvl6_weight         0.04
bloom_lvl7_weight         0.02
bloom_lvl8_weight         0.02
bloom_lvl9_weight         0.01
bloom_lvl10_weight        0.01

Hi Giga,

I tried your settings and I think it got a lot better but I could not jump into a game and see because for some reason, after pasting your settings and saving the mame.ini file, some of the functions on my controller ( tanskstick ) no longer work. weird, maybe is not the settings, I don't really know, but it happened after I pasteds your settings, does the mame.ini file have any controller settings I might have overwritten? :)

thanks buddy!

Hi Giga,

I tried your settings and I think it got a lot better but I could not jump into a game and see because for some reason, after pasting your settings and saving the mame.ini file, some of the functions on my controller ( tanskstick ) no longer work. weird, maybe is not the settings, I don't really know, but it happened after I pasteds your settings, does the mame.ini file have any controller settings I might have overwritten? :)

thanks buddy!

nevermind giga, 

I restore the original file with the original settings and I got the functionality back on my controller!! apparently what I did, and very stupid of me, I copied and pasted your settings into my mame.ini file, removing the rest of the code. As soon as I restored the original file, the functionality to the controller is back.

I then used your settings but carefully added them to the mame.ini file . now everything is looking good, thanks again!

OK, finally updated fully to MAME 169.

Tried out a few of the new settings here for HLSL/GLSL, then went back and tweaked my original 162 settings to bring them up to date.

169 looks fantastic, had to change very little and it looks even closer to the real thing (although I did tighten it up a tiny bit so it looks more like a new monitor, less played). 

As before these settings were built comparing it directly, side-by-side, with my real machines. For comparison I used my Mario Bros machine and my Neo-Geo running SShodown 5, Nightmare in the dark, Metal Slug and Twinkle Star Sprites. I matched them on a 27" 1080p monitor until it was hard to tell a difference between the real machine and MAME. (Scanline width, spacing, bleed, curve etc...).

Your Brightness, Contrast, Gamma and Saturation settings may vary with your monitor. Hmmm... I'll probably throw this into its own topic too with more pics and the video. Here: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/13989-metalzoics-mame-169-hlsl-settings-of-doom/

attachicon.gifnightmare.jpg attachicon.gifsshodown2.jpg

# CORE SCREEN OPTIONS
#
brightness                0.95
contrast                  1.00
gamma                     0.95
pause_brightness          0.65
effect                    none
widestretch               0

#
# DIRECT3D POST-PROCESSING OPTIONS
#
hlsl_enable               1
hlslpath                  hlsl
hlsl_prescale_x           6
hlsl_prescale_y           6
hlsl_write                1
hlsl_snap_width           2048
hlsl_snap_height          1536
shadow_mask_tile_mode     0
shadow_mask_alpha         0.14
shadow_mask_texture       Slot-Mask.png
shadow_mask_x_count       6
shadow_mask_y_count       4
shadow_mask_usize         0.1875
shadow_mask_vsize         0.1875
shadow_mask_uoffset       0.0
shadow_mask_voffset       0.0
curvature                 0.10
round_corner              0.10
smooth_border             0.0
reflection                0.05
vignetting                0.20
scanline_alpha            0.58
scanline_size             1.05
scanline_height           0.75
scanline_bright_scale     1.30
scanline_bright_offset    0.65
scanline_jitter           0.05
defocus                   0.50,0.0
converge_x                0.4,0.0,-0.3
converge_y                0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_x         0.2,0.0,-0.2
radial_converge_y         0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio                 0.90,0.05,0.05
grn_ratio                 0.10,0.80,0.10
blu_ratio                 0.10,0.0,0.90
saturation                1.45
offset                    -0.05,0.03,0.01
scale                     0.96,0.94,1.0
power                     1.35,1.30,1.10
floor                     0.00,0.03,0.03
phosphor_life             0.40,0.35,0.30

oh! I will try these settings and let you guys know if i works for my version of MAME.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Griffin158 and everyone else who spent hours and hours with these hlsl settings. They look awesome. Quick question. I love the settings but I notice a blue hue to most of the white on my screen. It's mostly noticeable when the neo geo logo comes up. I'd rather adjust the mame ini than change my monitor color. Uping the contrast seems to help but than my white is overbearing. Any help is appreciated. I can use the sliders but I'm not sure which ones make the most difference. By the way...at this point I'm using griffin158 ini settings back from his original post with the youtube side by side comparison.

Thanks Griffin158 and everyone else who spent hours and hours with these hlsl settings. They look awesome. Quick question. I love the settings but I notice a blue hue to most of the white on my screen. It's mostly noticeable when the neo geo logo comes up. I'd rather adjust the mame ini than change my monitor color. Uping the contrast seems to help but than my white is overbearing. Any help is appreciated. I can use the sliders but I'm not sure which ones make the most difference. By the way...at this point I'm using griffin158 ini settings back from his original post with the youtube side by side comparison.

Try changing this line:

floor                     0.05,0.05,0.05
to this

floor                     0.00,0.00,0.00

• 3 months later...

It looks like you have scanlines on, but have the actual HLSL mask turned off so it's missing the actual pixel look HLSL/GLSL should give.

Sent from my SM-G935V

Edit: Nevermind. Just watched your video and see that you just like it turned way down.

• 2 months later...

hi guys,

it is the first time i try HLSL and i have MAMEUI 0.176 64 bit

which is the right set that i can try and that it is quite sure that it works on the new MAMEUI version?  What do you suggest? I read that the setting posted in the 1st post are too old, am i right?

thank you for your help!

hi guys,

it is the first time i try HLSL and i have MAMEUI 0.176 64 bit

which is the right set that i can try and that it is quite sure that it works on the new MAMEUI version?  What do you suggest? I read that the setting posted in the 1st post are too old, am i right?

thank you for your help!

Best rule is that if it doesn't match your version number, then don't use it.

I'd say start with Jezze's default HLSL settings (might be in the raster.ini? can't remember) and adjust them to your liking from there.

thanks!  some questions, please:

1) currently I have my mameUI.ini file in the root of the MAME folder. I think that it is wrong, i have to put it in the ini folder, am I right?

2) then, in order to enable Jezze's default setting I have to open ONLY raster.ini (or mameUI.ini too?) and set "hlsl_enable 1".  And then what i have to do in order to use Jezze's default settings?

3) I have Windows 10, 64 bit and I'm using MAMEUI 0.176 64 bit.  Do you know if I need DirectX 9.0c and SDK kit?  I have read that they are necessary, but if I try to install them with this tool https://www.microsoft.com/it-it/download/details.aspx?id=35&nowin10 it is impossible to install anything because at the end of the installation a pop up message says that " I already have a more recent version of Direct X installed on my pc and so it isn't necessary to install anything".  So, what I can do?

thanks!

thanks!  some questions, please:

1) currently I have my mameUI.ini file in the root of the MAME folder. I think that it is wrong, i have to put it in the ini folder, am I right?

2) then, in order to enable Jezze's default setting I have to open ONLY raster.ini (or mameUI.ini too?) and set "hlsl_enable 1".  And then what i have to do in order to use Jezze's default settings?

3) I have Windows 10, 64 bit and I'm using MAMEUI 0.176 64 bit.  Do you know if I need DirectX 9.0c and SDK kit?  I have read that they are necessary, but if I try to install them with this tool https://www.microsoft.com/it-it/download/details.aspx?id=35&nowin10 it is impossible to install anything because at the end of the installation a pop up message says that " I already have a more recent version of Direct X installed on my pc and so it isn't necessary to install anything".  So, what I can do?

thanks!

1) Correct.

2) You might need to make sure your video is set to D3D, but otherwise all you need to do is set hlsl_enable to 1. You can do it in raster.ini, mame.ini, or whatever files you have. Personally I use just MAME.ini and vector.ini (vector with HLSL off).

3) You'll need DX11.2 or below... Try this one: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36805

Same as Griffin. I don't use raster.ini so I rename it to OFFraster.ini so it doesn't interfere. Then if I wanted to use those settings in the raster.ini I would cut/paste them into the base mame.ini and/or vertical.ini & horizont.ini

But what I'm really doing is using GLSL for nearly everything (because I got sick to death of adjusting HLSL with each new version of MAME), and I'm only using HLSL for all those games that don't work right with GLSL (such as Rampage, so it has it's own rampage.ini with adjusted HLSL settings that work for that particular game)

thanks guys

1) well, I have 2 files: mameUI.ini in the MAME folder root and mame.ini in the folder \ini.  I have to set hlsl_enable =1 in mame.ini because in mameUI.ini this string isn't present.  Am I right?

2) in raster.ini and vector.ini (both files are in \ini\preset folder) the string hlsl_enable isn't present. So i think i can enable it only in mame.ini, it it enough?

3) speaking about the link that you send me: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36805    It is update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 SP1 R2 SP1, but I have Windows 10 64 bit.  So, is it correct to install the update for windos 7?

thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

hi, can anyone help me?

thanks

Your best bet is to attach your mame.ini if that is the only one you want to use, but be aware if you have other ini files named after the driver or game or orientation, they will be used first so they all MUST have the same settings in for HLSL.

You need hlsl enabled and the video mode set to d3d.

You'll also need to add some hlsl settings if there are none.

• 3 months later...
On 8/31/2016 at 1:37 PM, gigapig said:

Your best bet is to attach your mame.ini if that is the only one you want to use, but be aware if you have other ini files named after the driver or game or orientation, they will be used first so they all MUST have the same settings in for HLSL.

You need hlsl enabled and the video mode set to d3d.

You'll also need to add some hlsl settings if there are none.

I'm having trouble enabling HLSL effects too. MAME 179 running normally via RL and HS. 

I enable HLSL in MAME.INI and made sure video mode was D3D. I set snap_width and snap_height to my monitor (1920x1080) and disabled raster.ini and vector.ini (by renaming them, just in case they interfere with anything I set in MAME.INI). I tried loading several games but don't see any HLSL effects at all, even when I tweak settings. Seems like something is overriding my settings and disabling HLSL from rendering. Any ideas?

• 2 months later...

hi guys,

i have MAMEUI 64 bit, 0.182

I want to activate HLSL filters. So I opened mame.ini file (it is saved in this path: MAME\ini\presets, is it correct?) and i set hlsl_enable = 1.

Well, 2 other questions:

1) is it necessary to change Video option from auto to d3d? If so, why?

2) Have I change/configure something else in vector.ini and raster.ini file?

thank you!

Archived