Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Computer specs?

fireslayer26

I have a chance to pick up a used computer with these specs for cheap. Was just curious if you guys think it would work well for a Hyperpin setup?

Thanks

SPECS

CAS: NEW!!! CoolerMaster Cosmos S Gaming Full Tower 420W Case w/ Transparent Side Panel

CS_FAN: Extra 3-Color Neon Light LED Case Fan [+5] (2 x Fans [+5])

CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-bit

CD: LG GGW-H20L 6X INTERNAL SUPER MULTI BLUE BLU-RAY DISC REWRITER & HD DVD-ROM DRIVE (Black Color)

CD2: LG 20X Double Layer DVD+-RW Super Allwrite + Lightscribe Technology (Black Color)

FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

Thermaltake V1 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan (Excellent Overclocking + Silent Proof + Smart CPU & System Thermal Monitor)

HDD: Extreme Performance (300GB (150GBx2) Gaming Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM SATA150 16MB Cache WD1500ADFD

HDD2: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive

MOTHERBOARD: EVGA Mother board SLI nforce

MEMORY: 16GB Rip Jaw RAM DDR2

NETWORK: Killer K1 10/100/1000 Gigabit High Speed Online Gaming PCI Network Interface Card

High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU

POWERSUPPLY: 1000 Watts Power Supplies (Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready)

SOUND: Creative Labs X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro 24-BIT PCI Sound Card

TEMP: NZXT Sentry LX Aluminum High Performance Fan Control, Clock, & Temperature Display

USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 285 GTX SLI

VIDEO2: NVIDIA GeForce 285 GTX SLI

I guess it depends on what you can get it for. A lot of those parts seem quite out of date by today's standards - PC parts age quickly! I think you'd find that the video cards and memory would be slower than you would like to have. Seems like you would do better cost to performance wise with newer components. I believe that it's always best to get the most you can reasonably afford at the time you're buying to future proof as much as possible. I just recently built my PC and these are the parts I used:

· Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K

· Motherboard: BIOSTAR TZ77A LGA 1155 Intel Z77

· Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600

· Video Cards:

o MSI N460GTX Cyclone 768D5

o ASUS GTX650TIB-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB 192-bit GDDR5

· Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III SSD

· Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 TR-700 700W ATX

· Wireless Network Device: TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wireless N150 High Gain USB Adapter

· USB Ports: SYBA CL-PCI20114 18" 2-Port USB 3.0 Bracket

· Operating System – Windows 7 Home Premium 64 –bit

All of that was around $675 not including some rebates. Some might suggest a faster chip in the i7 family and could certainly get by on one video card if you went with something slightly beefier, like a GTX 660 ti with 2G memory. This is just an idea of the kind of PC you might want to shoot for.

Since you didn't state a price, we can only guess what "cheap" means. There are two problems I see. First, there are several parts there that simply aren't needed for a hyperpin setup -- even though you may be getting a good deal on them, you would be paying for parts you don't need. Second, as Ark mentioned, most of those parts are pretty outdated.

You may actually get more bang for your buck if you simply focus on the few parts that are required for a solid hyperpin setup. As Ark suggested, an i5 with a GTX 660 would be a good, proven setup with some future proofing built in.

Well cheap was $300. I went ahead and picked it up. The memory turned out to be DDR3 not DDR2. I think I will use 8gb and save the other 8GB for my next build. The case and extra peripherals will also be used for my next build. And when I say "next build" I dont mean a Hyperpin build, just another pc build. This case is HUGE. Weighs over 30 lbs by itself. The motherboard was a 790i Ultra SLI... a little bit older but still very good. This CPU can be overclocked to 4Ghz. The GTX 285's, while not top of the line, still are powerful in SLI. I won't need the DVD burner or Blu-ray burner for the Hyperpin build, so these plus the case, network card, sound card, should make a great base for my next pc. All in all I'd say it was worth $300. I may just upgrade the video cards for the hyperpin cab and save the 285's for a secondary pc build.

Not a bad price. That setup is not what most would consider an 'ideal' configuration for a Hyperpin cab, but hopefully it will perform well enough to meet your expectations. I do think you'll end up having to buy a new video card before all is said and done though...

Archived