Thinking about cabinet ergonomics for console and arcade games

Hey guys,

New poster with a lot of ideas and not much clue how to execute yet :)

Firstly I just wanted to thank the Hyperspin community at large for the ridiculous amount of resources that are available here. I suspect I've saved hundreds of hours through things like Hypersync and examples of work here.

Secondly, I wanted to find out how people have tackled the challenge of a multi system standup arcade cabinet from a physical design point of view. I'm hesitant to try to serve too many goals with one box - I've got about 1sqm of floorspace to play with for my retro gaming and it's tempting to try to make an arcade machine that also emulates every console ever made and has RGB out and a 30 inch 15hkhz monitor and a million controllers etc. The challenge I see is that a format thats good for arcade beat em ups or shmups isn't going to be very physically comfortable for playing Chrono Trigger for three hours. I thought one way to tackle it would be a two stick NeoGeo style cabinet with a decent size screen with arcade controls for standing play, and a set of comfortable bar stools and console controllers for sitting play. Not sure how hard it is to handle multiple control sets like this. Has anyone got some examples of how they have dealt with this, or even just links to relevant threads?

i built a pedestal for just this reason. 52" tv mounted on the wall, i play the arcade games on the pedestal cp, and i sit on the couch with an xbox360 controller to play consoles, plus its way easier to move around if i had to

A pedestal type cabinet is probably best as baddeolv has suggested. It would be easy to make it modular with the control panel movable. I built half a modular system but ran out of room so it just serves as a console cabinet now (I already have a dedicated arcade cabinet anyway).

Still a few things to do before it's complete (finish the marquee and paintwork / graphics) but for an idea:

XBOXArcade127_zpsdbfdb1b3.jpg

Easy to install a PC in the top half and a console in the bottom (lower flap is hinged for access).

XBOXArcade93_zpsca7eb947.jpg

Edit: XBOX you can see is a second one with the first in the cabinet.

Edit 2: The design for control section which would have sat in front of it was:

pedestal2copy_zps961e232b.jpg

Thanks guys those are some good ideas. I like the idea of going CRT and I was surprised to see the red NeoGeo standard screen is a 19", it seemed bigger. I think I need to get in front of some cabinets and see how they would look.

Archived