Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

old Zaxxon cabinet build

splashfx

post-65578-142870582104_thumb.jpg

Been busy lately, but tonight I finally had some time to work on the arcade machine. The control panel is all wired up and the PC is working flawlessly, although I still have some keyboard remapping to do in some of the emulators. Just some cheesy art for the sides and marque, marquee light,t-molding, a little more paint and a remote power switch to go!

My power switch is going to be just another arcade push button attached to the PC power switch. I'm using a smart power strip to control power to everything, so hit the power switch on the PC and everything else is powered up automatically. I can't remember who I saw do this, but its a great idea and makes powering everything very simple.

Played a few games of Donkey Kong tonight and realized how rusty I am. Can't wait to practice some more.

• 6 months later...

post-65578-142870593138_thumb.jpg

post-65578-14287059314_thumb.jpg

It's been several months since I've been able to work on the arcade machine because of back problems, but today I made a big push to get it done. Only thing left to do is cut some plexiglass and make some graphics for the marquee. Sorry for the terrible cellphone pictures.

I want to say a big thanks to everyone on this forum who did all the hard work of figuring all of this out. This allows someone like me with no skills to be able to build one of these in a few months. This site is awesome!

-Don

P.S. - Monkeychunkuk - if you read this, I enjoy listening to your podcasts! :)

P.P.S. - Here's a picture of my other project which is still slowly progressing.

post-65578-142870593142_thumb.jpg

OMG!! I want your R2D2!!!! Whats the cost to build me one? lol.. I got a few storage units full arcades.. we can do some trading..haha..

Hey Rick, The cost can vary quite a lot. If you build in wood and styrene then you can have R2 built for probably around a grand or two. If you get aluminum fever, like myself, then the price will go up closer to 10K.

To be honest, if I had to do it again, I would build in styrene and wood. The prices are far cheaper and the results look just as good. Also, styrene and wood are easier to work with.

If you want more information I suggest checking out astromech.net and the R2 builder's club. The full build plans are available on the yahoo site, and the newest method of building is using a 3D printer to create parts for R2.

Don

Awesome man! thanks for the info. There is a guy just a few hours from me that is really well known for his R2D2 build and all his custom movie props he makes. Someday I will go check out his stuff, Im sure he can help also and is probably on those sites.

post-65578-142870593609_thumb.jpg

FINISHED! It's not too pretty, but it's done.

Maybe someday I'll work on upgrading the hardware and software some more, but for now it's wonderful to be able to play Donkey Kong, Centipede, Shuffleboard or any other old school game when the guys come over to hang out in the shop.

Now, to clean up and get back to work.

Archived