Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Building a racing cabinet/setup & looking for advice

aupton

Hello all. I'm in the early stages of building out a deicated racing cabinet and I'm looking for some friendly advise from others who have already started or completed their own.

My questions largely sourrounding the Wheel, Pedal, and Shifter solutions that are out there and how they related to the emulators. I see many people have settled on the Logitech G27 while others have gone bigger with equipment from manufacturers like Fanatec.

My goal is to simulate the original arcade experience as close as possible and perhaps even improve upon it from a force feedback perspective.

The setup will be primairly used for emulators with perhaps a few native PC racing games such as Outrun coast to coast and other arcade style racers. I care little for Grand Tourismo type simulators as I enjoy the Ridge Racers, Daytonas, and Scud Racers of the world.

This narrows me down to the following emulators:

1. Supermodel3 = Model 3
  2. Nebula = Model 2
  3. MAME = Namco System 11/12
  4. Dolphin = Triforce

While I know that the Logitech G27 is compatible with each of these through various configuration changes, I have read on other racing enthesuiast forums that the G27 wheel and force feedback performance feels like a toy when compared to something like the wheels from Fanatec like these:

https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/racing-wheels

Obviously there's a significant cost difference between the two solutions, but cost asside has anyone else tried something similar ?

Sadly there's no good option to test these components out before buying so I'm dependent on public forum feedback. I have no problem spending a little bit more money if its justified. My biggest concern is that I buy the best from Fanatec only to discover that theres compatibility issues with emulators.

Any feedback would be greatly apprecitaed.

Thank you!

I've owned both Fanatec and g27 wheels. My mate just bought a Thrustmaster with all the added bells and whistles.

It's like comparing apples and oranges. The g27 is a great wheel. There are lots of mods out there to really make the g27 come alive.

If force feedback is what your after the Fanatec or Thrustmaster is the way to go.

You also have to consider what else you want (clutch pedal, six speed shifter, handbrake)?

Fanatec and Thrustmaster only comes with a wheel and paddle shifters, everything else sold separately.

If your plan is to just play Arcade games and not sim racers then save your money and just buy a G27.

The G27's force feedback is not as great, but if thats all your after then its not worth the extra money.

Hope that helps in some way ...

I've owned both Fanatec and g27 wheels. My mate just bought a Thrustmaster with all the added bells and whistles.

It's like comparing apples and oranges. The g27 is a great wheel. There are lots of mods out there to really make the g27 come alive.

If force feedback is what your after the Fanatec or Thrustmaster is the way to go.

You also have to consider what else you want (clutch pedal, six speed shifter, handbrake)?

Fanatec and Thrustmaster only comes with a wheel and paddle shifters, everything else sold separately.

If your plan is to just play Arcade games and not sim racers then save your money and just buy a G27.

The G27's force feedback is not as great, but if thats all your after then its not worth the extra money.

Hope that helps in some way ...

Thank you for your reply. There's a lot to consider and your comments about comparing the g27 and Thrustmaster as apples and oranges resonates with what others are saying. I want the most wow and fun factor so I'm probably going to go with the Fanatec wheel just because I know I really want to feel the feedback from games like Daytona 2 and SCUD Racer.  The shifter and pedals are a whole different question though. I think for the pedals and shifter I can get away with lower end Fanatec models. Looks like most arcade style racers will be fine with an "H" style shifter. I'll post my parts list and build info as I go forward as I suspect there are others who after building a few cabs also want to add a racing cab to their collection.

I recently purchased a $400 Thrustmaster t300rs wheel/pedal set and I'm very happy with it.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/t300rs

It has great force feedback and great compatibility so far.

I read a lot of reviews on wheels and decided not to spend the extra money on a fanatec. Apparently the t300 is a newer/updated version of the old t500 with better guts and a cheaper but very functional pedal set (only gas and brake). The force feedback on the t300 is really fantastic in my opinion. It has a lot of power. The whole unit feels solid and like it's built well. I'm also very impressed with the wheel handle itself. High quality with metal components including very solid metal paddle shifters that move with the wheel (unlike the t500).

I am thinking I will replace the pedals that came with the 300 with the new Thrustmaster t3pa set. http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/t3pa-pro-add , although it's not avaliable yet.

I think you will end up playing other pc games than you mentioned as there are some really good ones.

So far I've had success with these games on pc..

Dirt 2- awesome fun arcade game. Great force feedback. Love it.

Dirt 3- love this game also. Great FF.

Assetto Corsa- this is a BAD ASS racing sim with great FF.

Grid 2. Fun game with pretty good FF. STUPID drifting bullshit though. (What the hell is up with so many drifting games now?) STUPID

As far as emulators go, so far I have tried..

model 2 daytona. Awesome arcade classic

Triforce Mario kart gp1 & 2. Cool arcade fun but I can't seem to get the FF working.

Model 3 daytonas. Cool but I also can't get the FF working.

Hope this helps someone.

Junky

Ps. What I REALLY want now is the simxperience 5! Awesome

Archived