I've created a wrapper for those who run (or wish to run) HyperSpin as a Shell. Tested under XP, working fine on my machine.
It actually fixed my Black Screen issue too, which would occur if I just tried to run HS as shell by itself. Your mileage may vary.
It enables you to run HyperSpin as a shell whilst still having a quick and easy way to quit to Windows should you wish. Also shuts down the PC if you quit Hyperspin in the regular manner. By default the key to quit to windows is F12 but you can change it by editing the INI file. The Steps to get it working are as follows:
1. Copy the files to your HyperSpin directory. For me this is "C:\HyperSpin"
2. Edit the HSShell.ini file if you wish to use a key other than F12
3. Click The Start Menu, run, then type "regedit"
4. Navigate to Key: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell" and change the value from "Explorer.exe" to "C:\HyperSpin\HSShell.exe"
** 5. Edit: It might be an idea to leave step this until you know HyperSpin runs correctly as a shell...
Now edit the "C:\HyperSpin\Settings\Settings.ini" and find the heading "[Exit Program]". Change the line underneath so it reads "Executable = C:\HyperSpin\Shutdown.exe"
6. Reboot & Hopefully it works!
There are many other tweaks you can make to your system to hide Windows further. I will probably post on a few of these methods later, but for now if someone feels brave if they could test this out and let me know how they go.
IMPORTANT: If Hyperspin doesn't load, press control-alt-delete, select Task Manager, Then "New Task" and type in "explorer.exe" to get back to Windows. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT REGISTRY CHANGES WERE MADE SO YOU CAN CHANGE IT BACK IF IT DOESN'T WORK!
Let me know how you go.
NOTE: This is from years ago. I've never tested with Windows 7 or Vista, only XP.