Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

"Flynn's" Arcade Cabinet build (my first)!

lildivaaa

I am a CRT guy, but this is a sweet cab. Well done, now get to enjoying some games!

I did have an Wells Garner arcade VGA CRT once and had the mind to use it in another project a few years ago. But things didn't work out at the time and I sold it. I've regretted that decision ever since. And when it came time to build this cabinet, it would only allow an LED monitor.

Maybe someday I'll consider it again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Man, now I feel awful for mentioning that. Hopefully, you have cools's HLSL settings in there to help with recreating the authentic look of the scanlines on modern displays. Anyway, really sweet cab. Enjoy those games!

No worries, alber_c. And yes, I'm actually using GigaPig's GLSL setting for an authentic CRT look and feel in the game field. I've had some issues in the past with HLSL doing the same things (I think my video hardware isn't up to the task). In any case, the GLSL settings I'm using get the job done for now and is very enjoyable.

Now...on with enjoying some Galaga!

• 11 months later...

Hey lildivaaa - I'm late to the party but just saw you fantastic build!  I have a 2006 cab I built nearly identical to yours, and just started a refresh.  I  was trying to sort out the video marquee, having trouble finding the right aspect ratio w/o spending a ton on eBay, then I saw yours.  That is AWESOME - i love the period advertisements, and i plan to embark on the same.  I have the hypermarquee finally figured out after last day or two so now i just need the content (and a bit of modification to my cabinet ;-).

can you share any tips on your adverts - did you find some sources to start with, what did you get online v. create, how did you create, etc.?  They look fantastic and i want to go after a similar look but - some of what you have there looks to be beyond my ability (and available time) to create w/o some big starting point.  can you share any tips?

Thanks! 

• 1 month later...

I used this video as the intro video on my "work in Progress" HyperSpin setup. Thought you would enjoy it. If any of you helpful folks want to point a noob in the right direction.... I could use a reference guide to HyperSpin and HyperLaunch - an owner's manual with an index of features. I've watched and bookmarked all of AV Archivist's videos but I still have a lot of bugs to work through and I'm pretty sure it's my mistakes. If anyone can provide links to the HyperSpin for Dummies type tutorials and reference guides- please fire away. I get lost in these forums

-Thanks!

@SolaFide777 your in the right place and have found some of the correct tools. don't be overwhelmed by the amount of systems and things to do. Setup and workout the bugs one system at a time.

Maybe start with the systems you like or will play the most. some are easier than others. keep tinkering and getting lost in the forums and using the search at the top for each system your

setting up. It can be a bit tedious but, no ... one shot quick solution. The more you setup & keep tinkering, the more you'll figure out and put things together. Avar's Vid's are pretty good,  

precise & current, I've watched them. When i setup hyperspin i used Tehkgeek's video's and the forums, not even sure he's around anymore and has taken down his vid's, but that was

a while back :) Lots of helpful and knowledgeable people here, a lot of answer's are posted in the forums or on the rocketlauncher forums as well. can be a bit of a time consuming hobby, but fun 

and can always take a break and play games !!!

Thanks Dubbloseven, I've been working with a dual screen setup (Simply Austin, AV Archivist, etc YouTube vids on one screen and the device being configured on the other). It's coming along. 

I tried some of the pre-configured Hyperspin builds on Arcade Punks, but a fresh, ground up build is functioning the best so far. 

Hardware= 

Win7 64bit laptop w/256gb solid state

X-ARCADE Dual Tankstick

X-Box 360 Controllers

Looking to run late 80's to mid 90's era ROMs mainly on MAME, NES, SNES.

once I can get this thing configured and working I'd like to image it across multiple devices. (IE: Arcade Machine, laptops for portability & re-purposing old computers for family)

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/18/2016 at 7:26 AM, Dirilu said:

This is mindblowing.. Really great work. And the two part marque/advert.display a cool idea for those who dont have the money for a half screen. Can you send the blueprint of the cabinet ?, I love that... :-)

Wow...over a year to reply to you! I'm SO sorry for that. I just haven't checked the forums in a while.

As for your question about blueprints of the cabinet, I don't have any. I purchased the cabinet from RecRoomMasters. The reason I got this cabinet is because I already owned an X-Arcade TankStick controller. This cabinet was made for that controller to fit in nicely. Mine was a 22" cabinet (which is no longer available). The closest version of the same cabinet is the 27" version:

https://www.recroommasters.com/Premium_XL_Xtension_Arcade_Cabinet_p/rm-xt-arc-prem.htm

Now, I had to "modify" the marquee portion to accommodate the 22" monitor after I removed it from it's housing.

On 1/29/2017 at 9:51 AM, mjlipa said:

Hey lildivaaa - I'm late to the party but just saw you fantastic build!  I have a 2006 cab I built nearly identical to yours, and just started a refresh.  I  was trying to sort out the video marquee, having trouble finding the right aspect ratio w/o spending a ton on eBay, then I saw yours.  That is AWESOME - i love the period advertisements, and i plan to embark on the same.  I have the hypermarquee finally figured out after last day or two so now i just need the content (and a bit of modification to my cabinet ;-).

can you share any tips on your adverts - did you find some sources to start with, what did you get online v. create, how did you create, etc.?  They look fantastic and i want to go after a similar look but - some of what you have there looks to be beyond my ability (and available time) to create w/o some big starting point.  can you share any tips?

Thanks! 

Hey mjLipa,

Thank you for your kind words. I loved my arcade project, definitely a "labor of love".

As for tips on the "advertisements"...most of the "sources" I used were just for inspiration. These were a few (I've attached pics of each):

* I saw a bus stop bench that was created for the ABC show "Once Upon A Time", that was an advertisement for ENCOM.

* In the original "TRON - (1982)", above "Flynn's Arcade"...there was a billboard that advertised "Home of Space Paranoids"

* Inside "Flynn's Arcade", there was a notice posted for "Flynn's House Rules"

I simply used an older program "Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006"; it gets the job done, nothing fancy. 

As for tips...it's hard to put a finger on that. I'm no expert in graphics, etc. I've just simply took my time, learned what works the best for me and be comfortable with it. But above all...inspiration. That's important. You can't "push" or "rush" an idea. If it doesn't come naturally, then it won't look or feel right.

img_2599.jpg

Once Upon A Time Encom ad.jpg

screenshot.jpg

Archived