Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

EPSXE vs PSXFIN for PS1 emulation - Is there any downside to the latter?

pavlovtiger

I semi-recently started digging through the massive PS1 bin for my project and already I have four games set to use PSXFIN as alternate simply because EPSXE won't play the music in the ISOs. I know there are ways to -get- the music to play, but sometimes I'll get a game that hasn't got your normal mp3/wav files at all, it'll just be a bin/cue or img/cue combo. I have at least some knowledge of how to handle all of these, but sometimes EPSXE will simply choke on the audio whereas PSXFIN has brilliantly handled everything I've thrown at it. Apart from this, is there a reason I shouldn't simply switch my default Playstation emulator to that? Does EPSXE do anything factually better than PSXFIN?

I'm a long-time epsxe user, and comparing version 1.9.0 to PSX(FIN)--just like you--I could not find anything in my (admittedly meager) collection that the latter gave anything to the former. I've since moved on to PSX-R as a more updated alternative to EPSXE, but I still long for a good option where I won't have to use and configure plug-ins constantly, and I haven't seen a reason yet not to use PSX(FIN). I've heard it's compatability is ower than the pugin-based emus, so if you have more ecclectic tastes, that may factor in. Hopfully someone with more experience with PSX(FIN) can chime in and help us both out!

Xebra is probably the most accurate. Its basically a playstation. But its can be a little hard to get going. I'd do it just in case I ran into a game that wouldn't run anywhere else. Having said that, I never used Mednafen, but recently tried out retroarch with the mednafen core and its pretty awesome.

Archived