Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Samsung UN46EH6000 - Mounting Dilemma

RoccoC

Hi All,

I've been slowly piecing together my cabinet over the past few months, and like most others, started with the computer and software side of things. I needed a TV, so I bought a Samsung UN46EH6000 display well before I started on my cabinet thinking I would have no issues when it came time to de-case it and slide it into my cab. Wrong!

Today, I removed the display's housing to discover that the bottom side of the TV is much thicker than the other three sides. Here's a pic of the top left corner of the panel. It is 7/8" wide:

2013-07-24%2015.42.26.jpg

Here's the bottom. It is 1-5/8" wide:

2013-07-24%2015.42.02.jpg

Obviously, this massive bottom edge is going to screw things up for me. Any ideas? Should I just route a larger slot on the left side of my cabinet, or do you think I should try and sell the TV and go with something like the UN46ES6003, which I know will work based on other's builds?

Bummer...I wish I would have de-cased this thing when I received it, because I can no longer return it. :(

- Rocco

I couldn't point to a link, but I recall others biting the bullet and doing some custom routing in order to fit the screen level. But that seems to me to limit options to swap out the screen down the line. Or at least it would be a pain to fill in the wider route if the next screen does not have the same form factor as the Samsung.

I would go with another option that does not require re-routing. Me, I would keep the Samsung - for watching video. I love my Samsung UN46C8000. I can use my colorimeter to calibrate to achieve reference greyscale and really good color reproduction. But I think it would be overkill to use in a cabinet. We're just reproducing color playfields. Don't need to reproduce proper flesh tones or worry a lot about clipped whites and crushed blacks. I have pretty much a third tier TV (Westinghouse) as a playfield screen. I may not want to watch TV on it, but it is really good for the application. Something to consider if the cost of replacement is an issue.

Granted, I haven't tried FP yet. I only use VP. So going for a top brand name screen may be very useful for FP and upcoming commercial apps.

You could just build the cabinet wide enough that the TV fits without any routing and support it with screwed in rails at the appropriate height on each side (do not glue in case you need to adjust them). Then just get a custom lockdown bar made to fit your cab's dimensions. Way cheaper than buying another TV...

Hi RoccoC,

I'm a french guy and i've the same TV in my pincab ... I just route a larger slot on the left side of my cabinet ... and it's fine !!!

See my blog at this link (sorry ... but in french !!!lol) and you'll see it : http://www.hexaunit.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1218&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Good luck

Bye

Hi there, that actually doesn't look too bad! And I think if I ever had to modify the slot for a different TV down the road, it wouldn't be impossible to do so. Thanks for sharing!

I've got this same TV and I went with installing rails on each side at the appropriate height to keep the TV level with the cab.

Question for those in here that also have this TV. Do you find the image to be grainy? Two tables that look bad to me are Dr Dude (area around the flippers seems VERY washed out) and White Water. I use VNC to remotely admin this machine and on my Apple Cinema display these two tables look amazing. Almost lifelike. Too bad its only 27" though!

I've been considering buying another TV for the cab and putting this one on my loft for the kids TV.

Holly crap... I have this same TV as well for my project and already built the cabinet glued and everything. If I have to re-route the sides my concern is that I will destroy it. I had no idea the bezel was like this... Can the front black bezel be removed easily? I am good with finding a different way to finish it off if I can mount it in the cabinet as is. Let me know your thoughts on removing the panel from the front bezel. thanks for the help.

Archived