Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Hacked arcade button to power up cabinet sets off Dell alert message

theoakade

I know this is a bit of a zombie thread, but.... I am in it right now with an Optiplex 790 inside a new ATX case. I have the original 5 (or 6, including the blanked out one) power pin and I am deciding how to wire it up to the original 2 wire pin coming from the case. My understanding, after reading this thread, is to crop off the the 2-pin connector on the case power switch and connect them, splice them into the yellow and black cables coming off the original switch. Question: this connector on all the motherboards I have seen does not have polarity, no + or -,  yet in this thread they are given positive and negative values?

Then do the same for the LED connector, hooking up the original ATX case 2-pin connector to the orange+ and blue-.  This does have polarity.

What does it mean to leave the red cable "Normally Open"? Does that mean just leave it hanging connected to nothing, or...??

• 4 months later...

OK so I really want this to work as well, all I have done so far is cut/splice the yellow wire and black wire to an arcade button. It works and turns the pc off and on. But I am still getting that f1 power button failure messege. Can't seem to get rid of it all other wires are uncut to the original power button. The 2 I cut are not attached to anything on the end the other end still to original power button. Anyone have another suggestion. To fix? 

• 5 months later...

It's actually, a pretty easy fix. You guys just need to check out a couple videos I did on the Optiplex 3010 which uses the same type of connectors. The pin out on the larger GPIO is a bit different then the 790, but the 5/6 pin small wires by the ram are the same. I'd do a video and show you how it's done if I had a spare 790, but unfortunately you are SOL.

Archived