Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

PC specs for first Hyperspin build

klintyp

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a cabinet that I'm looking to run Hyperspin on once it's delivered and I need a bit of help with the PC build itself as I'm not sure how much oomph I need. I'm looking at running MAME/arcade games as well as emulators up to PS1, maybe Dreamcast.

It'll be a dedicated computer so I won't be playing any PC games or anything else on it. I've been looking at different forums, on eBay for used PCs, PcPartPicker for new builds but I keep getting different info. I don't want to spend more than £300 if I can help it as I know I won't be using this PC fr anything other than Hyperspin.

I'm in the UK if that helps, really looking forward to getting into this, just don't want to make a mistake right off the bat.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Edit: For instance I've just come across a used PC with the following specs and was wondering if this would be enough for my needs?

•  i5 760 (2.80 GHZ)
  • 8GB DDR3
  • 1TB Hard Drive
  • Nvidia Geforce 620GT (1GB)

I'm running DC and psx games on a i3 dual core 3.2 GHz 16 GB memory and a hd6950 2gb, oh and a 250gb ssd. Everything runs great no problems at all.

Edit: I have the processor jayc recommends

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'm running DC and psx games on a i3 dual core 3.2 GHz 16 GB memory and a hd6950 2gb, oh and a 250gb ssd. Everything runs great no problems at all.

Edit: I have the processor jayc recommends

So i assume you have your SSD drive for the Hyperspin program, and all directories and roms/etc on another right? For speed of loading the frontend? 

So i assume you have your SSD drive for the Hyperspin program, and all directories and roms/etc on another right? For speed of loading the frontend?

Exactly, it loads windows in about 10 seconds. Oh I also have all of the media files on the ssd, they fit so why not.

Exactly, it loads windows in about 10 seconds. Oh I also have all of the media files on the ssd, they fit so why not.

All of them do? That is a lot of media though my friend...i wouldn't think it would.

So windows 10 huh? Im still rolling with 7. Any reason that i should make the switch? Are there any issues with keyboard encoders not working with W10 that you are aware of??? 

All of them do? That is a lot of media though my friend...i wouldn't think it would.

So windows 10 huh? Im still rolling with 7. Any reason that i should make the switch? Are there any issues with keyboard encoders not working with W10 that you are aware of???

Well I should be more specific, I only have 15 to 20 systems so it's fits just fine. I'm running Windows 7 on my hyperspin machine, but I do have it setup on my windows 10 machine with no issues. If it's working why change.

Looks pretty good...I still would bump up the MB to a Z97 to get overclocking, just to get a little more oumph, I have my clocked to 4,2GHz and 4,0Ghz...or is that one of those H81 that can overclock?

Also I'd recommend a nVidia GPU. Never used the zalman cooler but it probably works fine. CD/DVD drive seems a bit redundant.

Yeah the H81M-P33 can overclock, I'd seen a few posts recommending the motherboard to be used in conjunction with the G3258 in particular for that reason, it being cheap was just a nice bonus. 

When I was looking at compatible GPUs I'd considered an NVidia but the only options on pcpartpicker were way more than I'd like to spend.

I hadn't even really thought about just installing the OS by USB so yeah the optical drive can be removed.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, taking them on board and a few other things I've read tonight, how does this build look?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/FNccTH

I think it's looking good. Personally, I think the Rom drive is fine. I have the dragon's lair DVD set...And needed the drive to make that emulation process easier with Daphne. It seems cheap enough after all.

Archived