The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

PC Build

tnutz

Looking to do my first HTPC build and be able to run everything up to PCSX2 smoothly. I ideally would like to keep this under $1k but am having a hard time. Here is the list I have so far:

Intiel i-5 3570k - $226.99

Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP motherboard - $129.99

Patriot Viper Xtreme Ram 8GB (4x2) DDR3 - $84.99 (comes with a $30 mail in rebate)

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD - $89.99

WD Black 2TB HDD - $159.99

EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB GDDR5 Video card - $279.99

Corsair CX 750W Modular psu - $99.99

This totals $1,071 right now. Add in another $50 for the case, $35 for an optical drive and $140 for the OS, I will be well over. Anything I can cut down on here? My other question is I am pretty much going to use this strictly for emulation so it will be hooked up to my 55" tv in the living room at all times. Would a HTPC box be too cramped for this or would you just stick with a tower style case. Thanks in advance

My only suggestion is to use a Haswell i-5 since it's a lot faster for Dolphin and PCSX2

Ideally i5-4670k

And depending on how small a case, (HTPC) you'll need a single slot, low profile card, and currently the most powerful would be a Radeon 7750

Im not opposed to just using a mid-tower and I think I will just to make sure I have the room. I will probably switch out the cpu for the one you recommended (price doesn't appear to be much more), but I again, would like to try to get this under 1k. Any ideas?

Im not opposed to just using a mid-tower and I think I will just to make sure I have the room. I will probably switch out the cpu for the one you recommended (price doesn't appear to be much more), but I again, would like to try to get this under 1k. Any ideas?

You can save $35 and skip the optical drive

And get a regular 'blue' WD drive and save $60+

I'd also look for a sale on SSD's...I got a 240gb Seagate for $99 at Tiger Direct... 120gb fills up pretty fast

If money is an issue and you've never set up HyperSpin before, you can hold off on the graphic card, spend time (a lot) getting familiar with and setting up HyperSpin (everything will run pretty much flawless with the integrated GPU except Dolphin and PCSX2), and then when you have a bit more cash, add the GPU card

post-65218-142870629852_thumb.jpg

Here's my dedicated Emulation PC... Hooked up to a 67" DLP

i3-4340

Asus H87i-Plus Mini ITX

WD Blue 1TB

Seagate 240gb SSD

Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8gb (2x4gb)

Seasonic 350 watt TFX PSU

Diamond Radeon 7750 Low Profile Single Slot GPU

post-65218-142870629848_thumb.jpg

Im only planning on installing the OS on the SSD. I am pretty familiar with HS. I have it set up on my PC now but I just wanted a dedicated emulator PC to hook up to the main TV in the living room. And the other issue is that my current PC takes a little hit running PCSX2 mainly. Dolphin isnt so bad but I have only run Gamecube on it.

Looking to do my first HTPC build and be able to run everything up to PCSX2 smoothly. I ideally would like to keep this under $1k but am having a hard time. Here is the list I have so far:

Intiel i-5 3570k - $226.99

Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP motherboard - $129.99

Patriot Viper Xtreme Ram 8GB (4x2) DDR3 - $84.99 (comes with a $30 mail in rebate)

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD - $89.99

WD Black 2TB HDD - $159.99

EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB GDDR5 Video card - $279.99

Corsair CX 750W Modular psu - $99.99

This totals $1,071 right now. Add in another $50 for the case, $35 for an optical drive and $140 for the OS, I will be well over. Anything I can cut down on here? My other question is I am pretty much going to use this strictly for emulation so it will be hooked up to my 55" tv in the living room at all times. Would a HTPC box be too cramped for this or would you just stick with a tower style case. Thanks in advance

I'm selling this on eBay right now. It would be a good start.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201083951620?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Archived