Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

How to Mount Removable Bartop Control Panel

newoski

Hi Guys,

I'm well into my build of my Retrocade using the 2 player kit from Tippers and the gorgeous artwork from MikeKim -- I'll be making a separate thread tomorrow with progress reports, but I thought this problem/solution were worth a separate post.

When planning out my build, I knew I wanted a removable control panel, but I also knew I wanted it to be superr sturdy. I saw a few people using velcro and mounting blocks. Personally, I didn't quite trust velcro and the mounting blocks were a huge disappointment (more on that in my build log). Luckily, my dad was a woodworker years ago and came up with the perfect solution...

Essentially, using an extra control panel board we had laying around, we easily cut full supports for the control panel that fit in snug against the sides of the bartop. We still have to drill the holes and screw it into the sides of the cabinet, but it's brilliant!

Benefits:

1. The control panel support runs nearly the full length of the panel and provides solid support

2. The support fits snugly against the base of the cab

3. As easy to remove, if not more so, than mounting blocks while improving the stability.

In no way did we reinvent the wheel here, but I didn't see anyone else using this solution in the tons of threads I scoured researching my build, and this works so perfectly I really had to share it.

I still need to drill pilot holes through the control panel supports and the cabinet, but this is working perfectly. Also, to anyone using MikeKim's artwork as is, or as a starting point, I used 1/2" MDF from Tippers kit and there's still enough room for ServoStiks when using this method. I also rounded the control panel so that there is a smooth transition between the control panel/front panel and I'll be using a single piece of artwork for both.

Cheers,

Owen

post-50968-142870634489_thumb.jpg

post-50968-142870634491_thumb.jpg

post-50968-142870634493_thumb.jpg

post-50968-142870634495_thumb.jpg

Archived