Video will follow, when I have time to create one. In the meantime...
The GUI is very basic and it includes an additional parameter -- Hidden Games List -- that I don't think many others will need to use:
To get started, define the following paramters:
- Path to a folder containing the MAME XML databases that you'd like to update
Parents to Remove:
- TXT file containing a list of MAME Parents you'd like to remove from all your XMLs in the Database Folder (see sample file for formatting)
Clones to Keep:
- TXT file containing MAME Clones you'd like to keep, by converting them to Parents, on all XMLs in the Database Folder (see sample file for formatting)
Hidden Games List:
- IGNORE THIS PARAMETER. This is an optional parameter that will not be required by 99% of users. Ignore it for now. Explanation to included when I publish the app
After defining all paths, except for the Hidden Games List parater which should be left blank, click "Update Databases".
The app do two things, quickly:
1. Remove any games defined in the Parents to Remove list
2. Convert to parents -- by emptying the "clone of" field -- any games defined in the Clones to Keep list
The app stores your settings. After each update, simply do the following:
1. Download the latest XMLS
2. Put them into the Databases Folder
3. Run the app and click "Update Databases"
Give it a test and let me know if you have any questions.
Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vizfbzcyv8vzo2p/MAME Parent Clone Database Updater.zip?dl=0