Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

U360 stick mapping w/newer mame emulators etc

Conrad

Hi Everyone,

So I built a 4 player arcade cabinet and am newer to all this. It all started with my father wanting to buy me a 30th birthday present which was a dream arcade. I looked at it online and with research told him no way.... Let me build it and get the better components and a full size cab etc. With that said a month later I have a full running mame cab built to my liking with everything I could want.

My only dislike about the whole unit so far is running some 4 way and 8 way games. Like Pacman seems to not be up to par with a 4 way joystick using the U360's and also Streetfighter seems to not be up to par knowing this was an 8 way joystick game. Those are just a few select examples. I am wondering if I should be doing my own mapping with an application like LEDBLINKY? From what I have read, mame does the automapping for you? Or am I wrong when running these in analog mode?

I'm using xpadder on the first player joystick to run the hyperspin FE.

Components I'm using:

4 U360 joysticks

2 Aimtrak Guns

1 3" Happ trackball

IPAC board controlling buttons

Any guidance to help me out? I know over the last few years things have changed with mame versions and the way somethings are done. I couldn't get hyperspin to run my joystick for wheel scrolling without using xpadder. I also am running Windows 7 64bit.

Thanks everyone in advance as I appreciate everything on this site and everyone that helps contribute as I have done hours of reading and working it all out :)

Conrad

Hi Conrad, I can help.

First determine if you have them hooked up in Input or Output mode. The fact that you couldn't get them working in Hyperspin without using xpadder either means you don't have the joystick option tickbox clicked in HyperHQ or they're setup in output mode where each button or joy movement is a keyboard key. Either way works with Hyperspin without using xpadder, you just need to go into HyperHQ and make sure to turn on the joystick option or make sure that the keyboard keys mapped their match what your U360 is outputting. Open up Notepad and move the joysticks around and click a few buttons. If you see letters, numbers etc. make sure what's mapped in HyperHQ for controls matches. Open up Devices and Printers, do they show in there and can you right-click to see properties and Game Controller Setting? If so it's hooked up in Input mode, make sure the joystick tickbox is checked in HQ. Input mode is preferred and is the only way you can send digital maps to the joystick, see below.

Ok, so the part above was basic connectivity, maps are a whole different issue and a bit more advanced. First after doing the steps above, if you don't have the joysticks setup in Input mode, I'd rewire them so you can take advantage of the digital maps, Input mode is the only way to do that. Once you're sure they're in input mode you'll need to have UltraMap installed. This is the app that sends digital maps to the joysticks and is on the Ultimarc website. Set it up and send maps manually to the joysticks to test them, send it a 4-way vs. 8-way map and you will see a difference for Pacman, Streetfighter etc. You can confirm the map has actually been set by looking at the direction arrow in UltraMap or by going into Game Controller settings under Devices and Printers and looking at the directional arrow for it their.

Once you can manually set maps using UltraMap and kind of get the concept look into how to setup LEDBlinky to automatically set the maps for you. It basically looks at the controls.ini file to determine what controls the game you're launching in Hyperspin has and then automatically sets the appropriate map for it. You should be able to find links for specifics on this here, from the ultimarc site or the byoac.com forum.

Lastly you'll want to check the restrictor and spring you have installed which can affect the play of the joystick. I prefer the Octagonal restrictor and harder spring as it's less of a throw than no restrictor and you can feel the diagonals for fighting games.

Good luck.

Someone finally possibly to the rescue :)

Before I tried xpadder I was trying to get it working in HyperHQ with no luck.

Now with your advice I made sure it was checked in hyperhq which it was. Than I went to printers and devices and found all 4 of my joysticks in there marked Ultimarc Ultra-Stik Player 1, than player 2-4 etc named the same. Than I already have ultimarc ultramap installed and all the joysticks appear to be working in there when I move them, calibrate etc.

Than when going into Hyperspin nothing will work. I tried going to set the device in hyperHQ and it sets player 1 stik to set ID 0. I tried all four of my joysticks individually and it sets them in HyperHQ but nothing will work once in hyperspin. They do however work just fine in mame or any other emulator.

Any ideas? I also removed xpadder to try this all.

Ok so they're definitely in Input mode if they're showing in Devices and Printers which is good. Did you assign unique ID's to each joystick in Ultramap? The instructions are here. You need to unhook all of them but one, set the ID. Unhook all but the next one, set the ID, rinse and repeat until each has a unique ID.

I have had problems in the past with Hyperspin not liking/matching the U360 id's and one or the other joystick not working in HS. It seems to work best if you leave the ID's in HS set to 0 and 1 and find a way to get the joysticks to be those ID's. Unfortunately you can't seem to change the ID manually in windows or set it with the 'Set Joy ID' button. I was able to change the usb ports where mine were plugged in to get it to work by unplugging other items. Unhook all of the other usb devices that you can for troubleshooting purposes and try to just get one to recognize in HS. I eventually got it to work through trial and error. If not, you can always just setup HyperLaunch to open xpadder when HS launches and map keys for it, it may be easier in the end.

Once you've got that worked out you can move on to using LEDBlinky to set maps automatically.

I have a pair of U360s and initially had them connected via input mode and using js pins for the buttons. That worked great as mentioned in emus, but HS didn't play nicely, tap JS up or down and the HS wheel spins indefinitely.

- I have not played with xpadder/key2joy yet which should Adreess that option

I am currently running my U360s in output mode to an ipac2 and have usb plugged in for power. That works perfectly for a 4 way stick, unfortunately appears you also lose control over mapping (2/4/8/analog) using ultra map.

So appears if one wants the best of JS mapping and keyboard encoding, xpadder or joy2key is the only way. Unless someone has figured out how to define maps to JS via USB Connections and still have output mode connected for HS navigation only.

That all said, I love the feel of the u360s. I have the stiffer springs and longer handles since my CP is 3/4" melamine/MDF. I do have the removable restrictors (insert into hole in CP for stick) yet find playing without them in is just fine.

One more thing, I also recommend to update the firmware on each stick. I found mine both were different and my output mode mapping was not working. After updating firmware, it was corrected.

Sent from my iPad unfortunately using Tapatalk. Web is so much nicer. ...

The wheel spinning indefinitely was likely a settings issue rather than the fact that it was in input mode, you probably had it set to an analog map rather than 4-way which is super sensitive. Input mode is the preferred way to hook them up to get the most out of the digital maps, otherwise you're basically just using it like a normal 8-way joystick.

Wanted to also mention that Mame has some built in mapping and the setting for it should be adjusted so as not to interfere with the UltraMap mapping.

in the mame.ini change:

-joystick_map auto

to:

-joystick_map 7778...4445

Details at the thread here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=98058.0

I'm going to play with the usb ports tonight to see if that fixes any issues. So are you setting in ultra Map to 4 way and than they are changing from that mode to others with led blinky ' mapping is what it sounds like?

My joysticks are running via USB as the ipac 4 I have is o

An older one and was free. So I'm just using that for button functions. So I'm guessing sneetch that yours are running totally different being ran thru an ipac

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I'm going to play with the usb ports tonight to see if that fixes any issues. So are you setting in ultra Map to 4 way and than they are changing from that mode to others with led blinky ' mapping is what it sounds like?

LED Blinky sets the map to 4-way (or whatever you want) for Hyperspin and then changes to the appropriate maps on the fly when you launch each game so you don't have to manually change them. It's one of the big benefits of the U360's, you don't have to change a restrictor or manually switch from 4-way to 8-way or push the maps to the joysticks with UltraMap etc. There are also specialized maps like diagonal for Q-bert and 8-way with easy diagonals for fighting games.

My joysticks are running via USB as the ipac 4 I have is o

An older one and was free. So I'm just using that for button functions. So I'm guessing sneetch that yours are running totally different being ran thru an ipac

Yes, Sneetch is running his in output mode, ie. all of the directional and button wires go through a keyboard encoder rather than hooked up via usb and directly to the buttons. In this mode you lose all of the benefits of being able to change the digital maps and it's basically just a (expensive) standard joystick. There's no need for you to be running your button wires through the encoder, you can hook them up directly to the buttons and they will show up as gamepad buttons rather than keystrokes.

Hi Monk,

So I did kind of get it to work without game xpadder. I did what you said and got it plugged in first. Than it started kind of working. It would do similar to what Sneetch was having issues with. It would move, than sometimes not move and than sometimes it would keep scrolling. So after looking everything over I kind of gave up on it. Ever experience that? I'm now trying to work with setting LED blinky up.

Are you sure you didn't have it set to an analog map in UltraMap? That's the only time I've seen something like that, if there's a wierd map assigned to it, mouse or analog. Be sure to set it to a 4-way map and confirm in UltraMap and Devices and Printers-->Game Controller Properties that it only registers in 4 directions. Also, there's a high/med/low wheel setting in HyperHQ, try setting it to low. Then go into HS and try again. Try with both joysticks, is it better on one or the other? You may want to also verify that it works by other means, ie. the keyboard or a trackball, spinner or mouse if you have them hooked up.

I will look further into it today again. I think I may have had it in analog mode at one point, but than also tried 4way to see if it adjusted that at all. I got LED Blinky going for automapping and that seems to work flawless now. I appreciate your help :)

Archived