Vertical screen games

jedah

Hi all,

I am in the (very) early stages of building a mame cabinet. I have been in contact with Maxime from Arcade from scratch about the HD Terminal cabinet (beautiful design). I am thinking that I would like to also eventually have a dedicated vertical cabinet.

My question is does anyone know if there are any vertical orientated games that use a widescreen monitor by default? I am not sure if any of the vertical Type X games used widescreen. I can't think of any so I am guessing that I could possibly build a cabinet based around a standard (cheaper) 4:3 monitor mounted sideways.

Cheers,

J.

I've never seen one.

4:3 monitors are not, at all, cheaper, though. New they cost a fortune today because they're mostly not made anymore. At least here in the US, you can get reasonable used IPS screens in the $100-$150US range for maybe a 19-20", but new ones are more like $400-$500 -- like 2-3x a 16:9.

The only wide-screen games I've seen (horizontal) are new ones that aren't emulated yet. That may matter if you want to play PC games on your cabinet, but wide-screen just wastes a lot of space in MAME. I'm 99% sure I've never even seen a new 9:16 game before.

Hi all,

I am in the (very) early stages of building a mame cabinet. I have been in contact with Maxime from Arcade from scratch about the HD Terminal cabinet (beautiful design). I am thinking that I would like to also eventually have a dedicated vertical cabinet.

My question is does anyone know if there are any vertical orientated games that use a widescreen monitor by default? I am not sure if any of the vertical Type X games used widescreen. I can't think of any so I am guessing that I could possibly build a cabinet based around a standard (cheaper) 4:3 monitor mounted sideways.

Cheers,

J.

I vote find the largest 4:3 you can get in there, 19" is easy to find, 20 and 21's are becoming like rocking horse muck. If you are southern england PM me as I have a syncmaster 213T with no stand that I am willing to let go at a very reasonable price. If you did use a widescreen you will probably want to go up to around 26" which would have a similar width to a 21" and then rock some custom bezels as you would only utilise about 3/4 of the available screen estate.

Thanks for the replies chaps. i meant installing an LCD over a CRT this time. The reason being that I have had 2 jamma cabinets and 1 JVC cab and they all had screen issues so this time I am going with LCD with HLSL as I have been very pleased with the results so far. As I suspected there aren't any vertical games that require 16:9 screen so a rotated 4:3 should be fine.

Archived