Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Controller display on a theme

shredder

I'm in search of a way to display a controller diagram on a system theme either on demand or a small visual queue on the theme itself as to what controller needs to be used for the system, for example 

If I am on the SNES hyperspin theme, then i would see a small SNES controller somewhere on the theme or with a single key press. This is an obvious example...but there are some situations where it is not so obvious. Such as virtual boy would require a playstation controller; and so I would have a playstation controller icon somewhere on screen.

Is there some sort of way i can do this?

For me, I made a wheel item called 1-Controls, which makes it the 1st wheel item. Then I created a theme called 1-Controls.zip that had the image below embedded. I did a slide like that for each system.

image.thumb.png.986c1130895963ab0385db9340aa2c68.png

• Super Like 1

12 hours ago, tron38 said:

For me, I made a wheel item called 1-Controls, which makes it the 1st wheel item. Then I created a theme called 1-Controls.zip that had the image below embedded. I did a slide like that for each system.

image.thumb.png.986c1130895963ab0385db9340aa2c68.png

That is a good idea and something to consider...a little overkill for what I'm after but perhaps that may be the only other way to really do it. 

I did make controller cards that would display in the pause >controller menu, but it's not until the game is already loaded until you would be able to see what controller to use...which is a little counterintuitive. 

I'm still open to other suggestions if there is any other ways of doing this. 

You can edit the WHEEL.PNG of the each game and add a little control picture next to the game logo. I did this in my machine to know which mame games are 4 player games when I scroll them. In your case you can also put the controller picture in the system wheel pngs

7 hours ago, retrodiablin said:

You can edit the WHEEL.PNG of the each game and add a little control picture next to the game logo. I did this in my machine to know which mame games are 4 player games when I scroll them. In your case you can also put the controller picture in the system wheel pngs

Is this what you mean? See "NES" Menu wheel. Interesting, It's closer-ish to what I was thinking... It does disappear once the theme is in focus. It's plausible. 

So far these are great ideas, not sure that i've quite found the bingo yet though...

2024-02-10 19_14_15-HyperSpin.png

18 hours ago, retrodiablin said:

You can also put that little controller icon in the Background.PGN or SWF file of the system Theme, like in the left right corner of the background file.....just another idea

Is there documentation  or a resource for SWF's? I don't know how they work or how to create them.

*small update* I dug into SWF's a bit (I've never looked into them before at all and I do think it's "The way" , I don't know how to create them, Looks like I've got some learning to do...

*another update* Purchased Adobe Animate (grumble grumble) I was able to make an SWF file with a card that i had previously made for a sample (this will not be the final thing, I'm just trying to get the idea functional at the moment). I was able to get the animation displayed at the sub-wheel level...not ideal; I would prefer it on the main wheel, but I think on the main wheel it only displays 1 animation according to the wheel and not the currently active system. So I settled for the Sub-wheel. I was able to get the card to display, but there are some annoying nuances that maybe someone can advise on....

I want the card to do a short animation in to the upper left corner and stay there...that's it. Currently It does a slide in  and slide out and i don't want that. I want it to animate in and infinitely stay there until i back out of the wheel. 

• Like 1
  • Super Like 1