Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Remapping buttons for Fighter Games (6 button)

wakeet

I've done quite a bit of searching and cannot find a simple solution for this...regarding MAME...I have a 6 button controller layout numbered as follows:

4 5 6

1 2 3

This allows all two and three button games to conveniently be on the bottom row. However, this also means that all fighter games are reversed...Kicks on top and punches on bottom.

Is there an easy way to reverse the button mapping for all 6 button games? i.e. so MAME sees it as follows:

1 2 3

4 5 6

I use LEDBlinky with u360's but I was hoping there is an easy way to do it for all 6 player games ONLY. I want to avoid having to perform this manually for every 6 button game.

Any help is appreciated.

I've done quite a bit of searching and cannot find a simple solution for this...regarding MAME...I have a 6 button controller layout numbered as follows:

4 5 6

1 2 3

This allows all two and three button games to conveniently be on the bottom row. However, this also means that all fighter games are reversed...Kicks on top and punches on bottom.

Is there an easy way to reverse the button mapping for all 6 button games? i.e. so MAME sees it as follows:

1 2 3

4 5 6

I use LEDBlinky with u360's but I was hoping there is an easy way to do it for all 6 player games ONLY. I want to avoid having to perform this manually for every 6 button game.

Any help is appreciated.

My first thought here is to just custom map controls for each fighting game you play...

Meaning, you have your General player 1, 2, 3, 4 controls in your 456,123 layout... when you play a game, say street fighter, setup controls for the current game only. press tab, click on "Control (this game)", it will setup special controls just for that game only.

have you tried the ControllerRemap utility? it should work for what you need. I have mine configured like this:

1 2 3 4

5 6 7 8

the following is for fighter games:

1 2 3

5 6 7

and the following for neo geo games:

5 6 7 8

Is it possible to do this for ALL fighter games? Or does the utility need to be run for each individual fighter game?

I assume I can manually create a .cfg file for each fighter game and Neo Geo game...but that seems like a very daunting task. i was hoping there was a utility that would accomplish this for all games categorized as 6 button fighters.

Is it possible to do this for ALL fighter games? Or does the utility need to be run for each individual fighter game?

I assume I can manually create a .cfg file for each fighter game and Neo Geo game...but that seems like a very daunting task. i was hoping there was a utility that would accomplish this for all games categorized as 6 button fighters.

You define the system and configured the controls the way you want.

For example:

"kinst.c" is for killer instinct,

"pacman.c" is for pacman

the real benefit of this is that you can unplug or reconnect controls and it won't change your button configurations. There are a few games for which this wont work, but I can't remember which ones they were. I think you should be okay with all the fighters and neo geo.

Not a solution for having 1234 in buttom row, but I build my new layout this way:

So, the 4 hast two buttons. :) This allows me to play all 1234 games in a row and 1-6 games like fighters in 2 rows.

You define the system and configured the controls the way you want.

For example:

"kinst.c" is for killer instinct,

"pacman.c" is for pacman

the real benefit of this is that you can unplug or reconnect controls and it won't change your button configurations. There are a few games for which this wont work, but I can't remember which ones they were. I think you should be okay with all the fighters and neo geo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what your proposing is that I need to make a config file for every individual game. What I want to do is make a single config file that can be applied to all 6 button games.

Theoretically, a 6 button fighter game would be launched...the software would read from a list of games and see that the current game is a 6 button...then it would apply the single config file.

Is this possible?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what your proposing is that I need to make a config file for every individual game. What I want to do is make a single config file that can be applied to all 6 button games.

Theoretically, a 6 button fighter game would be launched...the software would read from a list of games and see that the current game is a 6 button...then it would apply the single config file.

Is this possible?

To answer your 1st question:

controllerremap uses one file where you define all the joysticks, trackballs, wheels, or Light guns you have connected. In that same file you define the games or systems and how the buttons should be mapped. So its just one file that has everything.

2nd question:

To get fighter games to be mapped, you define the different "sources".

For example: Cps2.c" will define all games that use that source. This includes all:

Street fighter alpha, SF Zero, Hyper Street Fighter II, X-men vs Street fighter, 1944,

Since it targets the source, then it will also get games that are not fighters like 1944. If you want 1944 to use a different button layout then you make a Cfg for that game.

This saves you time, since you don't have to make a Cfg for every game.

It's a bit confusing setting controllerremap, but its a useful tool and hopefully it works for you.

Archived