Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Solution: ArcadeVGA 5000 + Hyperspin Crashes (Green Screen)

ryan_lirui

I've just overcome some teething issues getting Hyperspin to run on my set up at home. The root of the cause turned out to be ArcadeVGA display drivers, the symtom? Game intro videos showing up as green screens and then the Hyperspin frontend crashing immediately.

At any rate, I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and I have been struggling with HyperSpin all day because I thought there was some sort of set up or software problem.

The first bit of advice I'd like to offer anyone trolling these forums and interested in doing someting similar is that - The main website's documentation is not complete, or up to date. You're better off doing a google search for "How to install hyperspin" and you'll get one of the top hits as an awesome thread from these forums. Even with that, you'll need to do some inferring on what you need to do if you don't want to set up a github account, etc.

Secondly, and this is the important one.. I wasn't able to find very much information on using ArcadeVGA with HyperSpin and identifying and troubleshooting these problems.

What you'll find is that you get a green screen and the hyperspin frontend will crash out just after the intro transition animation completes. This is *not* a hyperspin problem. It's an Ultimarc driver problem (and I have their most recent driver).

You need to turn off hardware acceleration for playing the hyperspin system intro videos, but Windows 7 won't let you do that directly. You will need

1. Open up windows media player, and turn off hardware acceleration under the performance tab in settings.
  2. Download Firefox (yes, specifically firefox because it won't work in Chrome or IE), and open up Youtube to an HD video.. and right as it's about to play, hit pause and right-click on the background and choose the settings option which will give you a tiny dialogue that will disable hardware acceleration. Otherwise, your browser will crash out. Fun right?

Everything should be merry after that. I hope this helps anyone else who ends up running into these problems.

Good stuff Ryan and welcome to the forum. I have an older version of ArcadeVGA and ran into similar issues. This thing you talk about is documented this forum somewhere. Good tip on Firefox. These days lots of people are avoiding using ArcadeVGA because it is notoriously difficult to work with and somewhat expensive. The alternative is that people are using older ATI Radeon cards with the hacked Calamity drivers which allow for 15khz video output. It is a less expensive solution, and allows you to avoid the headaches associated with ArcadeVGA. But since you already bought it, run with it.

Also, since you are obviously using a CRT monitor, you will want to use GroovyMAME. Read up on GroovyMAME and the Calamity drivers here.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

I have the same system configuration here, too. And the same problem.

Your explanations gives me the right way to a solution.

But, before I could disable the hardware acceleration I have to install flash player first,
Afterwards searching a site with flash videos and disabled the acceleration.

Thanks for the great hint! :-)

Archived