Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Basic Set Up Questions

Fromlostdays

I downloaded Hyperspin off of the play store, and I'll be saving it to the storage directory. No SD yet.

I also have the two downloads from the downloads section. 

So is the next step creating a directory in storage? Also, its looking for "data" but that's not in the downloads.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Walter 

Initial setup of Hyperspin is not for the light-hearted yet because many of the tutorials and such haven't been organized and posted to this site yet.  They are coming soon!

But learning how Hyperspin works and re-arranging your setup and favorite games the way you like is a LOT of fun.   

I think many in this community will admit they spend more time on Hyperspin than playing the actual games. 

Fortunately, there are a ton of existing tutorials on youtube and elsewhere that walk you through setup.   Here is one:   

http://gameroomsolutions.com/setup-hyperspin-mame-hyperlaunch-full-guide/

But here are my suggestions:  

- focus on getting the wheel/media that you want running on Windows first

- make sure it works the way you want and ignore the 'launching of emulators' (on windows and 'hyperlaunch/rocketlaunch' pieces) because it's different on Android

- focus on MAME first because the naming conventions between images, videos, and roms have been relatively consistent so you won't get stuck with weird rom names, etc.

EASIEST way to get started with skeleton setup and confirm 'yep, it's working' is to download the initial full-install pack:

- download - http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/5599-hyperspin-133-full-install/

- copy the Hyperspin folder to /storage/sdcard/Hyperspin/

As more users engage and play around with it, we're bound to find little annoying bits.   I hit one today... Android MAME emulators (Mame4droid and Retroarch) don't appear to like compressed roms with .7z extension.  Bleh.

Feel free to ask questions if you run into problems.

Dude thanks so much. I'm pretty much fully operational with Hyperspin on PC, I just didn't know how to port it to android. I didn't know we had to copy the hyperspin exe over to the directory. I'll tell you what, if and when I get this working I'll write a quick writeup on setup. 

Thanks so much for this port!

Thanks for posting your setup tips.  

I actually keep the hyperspin.exe binary in my /Hyperspin folder so I can copy/test on Windows easily but there is no Android app dependency on this file and it can be removed if you want to save 8MB or whatever.

reznnate:

I have an old 500gb external laying around and I decided I'd repurpose it for testing out Hyperspin on my Shield Portable. I formatted the external in NTFS format and just put a test folder in the root of the drive. I plugged it in to my OTG adapter and then into my Shield Portable. When I launch ES File Explorer it does see a USB device but it won't let me access it. I'm thinking that maybe I need one of those Y OTG cables so I can give the external some extra juice but before I buy another cable I wanted to see if you thought that was the issue. I remember I had issues with my 64gb SD Card on the Shield. It needed some funky find of formatting. Does the Shield care if my external is Fat32 or NTFS or anything like that?

1. When I launch ES File Explorer it does see a USB device but it won't let me access it.

2. I'm thinking that maybe I need one of those Y OTG cables so I can give the external some extra juice

3. Does the Shield care if my external is Fat32 or NTFS or anything like that?

1. With Android KK and L, they changed permissions on external media so editing with ES File Explorer, etc. can be a pain.   I do majority of edits on PC.

2.  I use these for development and they are very convenient and inexpensive.   This is not going to help with USB storage access though.

3.  NTFS and FAT32 have worked well for me.  exFAT did not... and my require the upcoming Android L update.

You can fix the External Storage read/write permissions on KitKat to get full access to external storage on the Nvidia Shield Tablet and Portable. I stayed on KitKat with my Shield Tablet and passed on the Lollipop update as there are many issues with the update on the Tablet, plus I like having full access to External Storage on my devices. The Shield Portable's most recent Android version is KitKat while the Shield Tablet has KitKat and three (Update!: Android Lollipop 5.1 was just released recently) versions of Lollipop. Here is a link with some great information explaining the issues with External Storage access with KitKat and up:

http://greenrobotgamer.com/shieldzone/more/kit-kat-issues-fixes/

1. You will need to root your device to be able to continue the External Storage fix on KitKat. As for Android Lollipop (5.0+) Google has given developers the use a new API that asks the user to confirm to allow access to specific folders for the application, but it needs to be implemented by the developer into their application for it to work. This should allow applications access to the set location by the user. These are some of the best instructions on how to root your Shield Tablet or Portable depending on what version Android/OTA update you are on. First three links are for the Shield Tablet V1 for KitKat, V2 and V2.1 are for Lollipop, Shield Portable link is KitKat.

Shield Tablet:

Lollipop v2.1: http://greenrobotgamer.com/shieldzone/root-shield-tablet-v2-1-lollipop/

Lollipop V2: http://greenrobotgamer.com/shieldzone/root-shield-tablet-v2-lollipop/

KitKat V1: http://greenrobotgamer.com/shieldzone/more/root-shield-tablet/

Shield Portable: http://greenrobotgamer.com/shieldzone/more/root-shield-portable/

or option 2 which is the method I use: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/732693/shield-portable/rooting-your-shield-the-why-and-how/

Some more root info for the Shield Portable: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/734204/general-discussion/rooting-your-shield-awesome-things-you-can-do/

2. Now that you are rooted, you have three options on how to fix the storage access issues with KitKat.

Option 1. My personal favorite is to install "Xposed Framework" google search and find version 27 experimental1. Once the application is installed open it and tap on "Framework", tap "OK" on the "Be careful!" warning, then tap on the " Install/Update" button. Next it will show a window showing what it will install and asking to reboot, tap "OK" button. Once your device is rebooted load the Exposed Framework app again, tap on "Download" search and then install the HandleExternalStorage module. Once installed it will show that a module needs to be activated so go back to the main menu and tap "Modules" and check the box for the module you want to activate, it will then notify you that you need to reboot the device. Reboot the device and you now have full read/write access to External Storage.

Option 2. Fix the External Storage permissions using available apps on the Playstore Market like "SDfix: KitKat Writable MicroSD" - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix .

Option 3. Manual fix of Read/Write permissions:

1. First of all your device needs to be rooted.

2. Open a file manager of your choice that has root access privilages like Root Explorer, ES File Explorer, Total Commander.

3. Mount your system partition as "R/W" (Read/Write) to be able to perform the changes we are going to make.

4. Navigate to the /system/etc/permissions/ folder and look for platform.xml.

5. Copy the platform.xml file into the same location as platform.xml.bak file or into another folder (I have a folder named "backup" in my internal storage that I use for this).

6. Open the platform.xml file with any text editor on your device and search for the following line: <permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE">

It should look like like this:

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >

<group gid="sdcard_r" />

<group gid="sdcard_rw" />

</permission>

7. Now we need to add a 3rd GID (Group ID): <group gid="media_rw" /> which should look like this:

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >

<group gid="sdcard_r" />

<group gid="sdcard_rw" />

<group gid="media_rw" />

</permission>

8. Once the additions/changes have been made, save the document to keep the changes.

9. Using the file manager of your choice, make sure that the platform.xml file has proper permissions:

Owner R-W | Group R | Others R (0644 rw-r--r--).

You can also use ADB Shell on a PC or Terminal Emulator app on the device to set the permissions with chmod 0644

/system/etc/permissions/platform.xml command.

10. Now reboot your device and you should now have full Read/Write access to External Storage.

11. In case there are problems with an OTA update failing to install, delete the modified platform.xml and rename platform.xml.bak to its original name by removing the .bak extension or copying the original platform.xml file from another folder back into the original folder if you did that instead.

reznnate: I remember I had issues with my 64gb SD Card on the Shield. It needed some funky find of formatting. Does the Shield care if my external is Fat32 or NTFS or anything like that?

I have a 128GB Sandisk Micro SD (newer version with higher read/write speeds) in my primary Shield Portable right now (yeah I know, I have three Shield Portables). I previously had a 64GB Sandisk Micro SD card that came formatted ExFat from factory and worked fine on my Portable. On one of my other Shield Portables, it had issues reading an older version 128GB Sandisk card, I used a special app to format the 128GB card to Fat32 and it was read with no issues on the Portable.

As for the correct format of storage devices:

Fat32 - Its the most compatable format to most digital devices, but has a limit of not being able to handle files no bigger than 4GB. All memory cards 32GB and smaller come formatted as Fat32.

ExFat - Its the newer format that replaces Fat32 on high capacity flash drives and memory cards, allows for files bigger than 4GB, and is an alternative to NTFS. All memory cards 64GB and up come formatted as ExFat. Some devices are still not compatable to this new format. High capacity micro SD cards available right now: 64GB, 128GB, and 200GB.

NTFS - Android OS does not support NTFS by default, some devices can read NTFS, but can not write to that file format. If your device has no support for NTFS, you can mod the kernel to add NTFS support.

Here is the link to the Storage Formatting Application that can properly format memory cards and hard drives larger than 64GB to Fat32: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

Click on the image of the application to download the app. Only other way to acomplish this format is to use Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7/8 with command line commands, or linux with command line comands. FYI, the use of this app is way easier.

I've confirmed fat32, ntfs, and exfat are all supported on the new Shield/Android 5.1 (http://shield.nvidia.com/) so there shouldn't be a need for any voodoo.

Very true, but I wouldn't call this voodoo, lol! This info is to help out the many that are on KitKat or for the ones not wanting to upgrade to Lollipop 5.1. Oh and the External Storage fixes are simple fixes anyone can do by following the steps to fix what Google/Android did to the O/S.

• 1 year later...
On 5/16/2015 at 2:13 PM, reznnate said:

As more users engage and play around with it, we're bound to find little annoying bits.   I hit one today... Android MAME emulators (Mame4droid and Retroarch) don't appear to like compressed roms with .7z extension.  Bleh.

Feel free to ask questions if you run into problems.

Can we use .7z compressed roms with HS and Retroarch on a Shield TV?  I have been searching for update information but most of the stuff is now two years old.   I get conflicting reports.  I tried to set up quickly but would get error that game was not found.  I am wondering if this is compression error or an error in the settings inis.  I have not changed the rom paths and I put hyperspin in the root storage directory for shield tv so I am going to check the settings inis first.

if possible, i would like to keep all my roms compressed.

Archived