Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Up to date computer build

tyson171

So figuring up my components and this is what I've got so far.

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard

Samsung 840 Pro 128gb ssd

SeaSonic M12II 750 SS-750AM 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler (I hope this bad boy fits! I measured going to be tight).

Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound (looking for a 4.5ghz oc)

ASUS GTX660-DC2O-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Questions, Has anyone tried running the new MSI GTX 650 Ti Boost in SLI on a cabinet? Is this overkill? I could start with one and maybe use the integrated graphics in the 3570k to run the back glass? Something very important to me is zero lag/stutter. Anyone have any advice on this? Going to overclock this as well to about 4.5ghz with a decent cooler as well. Need to figure out my ram also.

SLI is big-time overkill, and could also lead to problems/glitches (some modern games don't even run right with SLI...no idea how something as old of this would react).

As I recall, you're using a real DMD, so all you'll be controlling is the PF and BG. You should be fine with one good card controlling both of those...

So going with the assumption that it will work without glitches, it's still overkill performance wise. But hey, who am I to talk about overkill? That's the name of the game around here, right? :)

So bottom line is that it's not needed for VP or FP, but if you've got the money to burn, go for it. It's possible some the other sims like Zen or PA might be able to make some use of that extra power.

For what purpose do you believe you need two 5400MHz 1GB DDR5 928Hz Clock video cards?

Are you attempting to operate multiple instances of different games in the same or dual screens? In fact, unless you have purchased a 120Hz or 240Hz ultra monitor(s), and are expecting to push that much video capacity, any regular monitor at 60Hz isnt going to push anything better than 60 fps anyway, for a single game client.

Now the motherboard you specified is bad ass. I have this one as my personal computer when I multibox World of Warcraft. I use (2) Geforce GTX 550 Ti in SLI mode when I run 10 instances of the game client at one time, all on "high" video settings. The key you're gonna run into is RAM. Since your motherboard has a DVI, and a HDMI port output, youre going to be somewhat bound by the memory and the i5 processor. Given you're going to be using multicores to run the i5 already... again.. assuming you're gonna have something operating multi monitor setup along with multi client windows, my recommendation would be to ditch the i5 and upgrade to the i7, then get no less than 16GB of either the 1333 or 1600 RAM to support the speed.

However... if you're not attempting any of that. I.e. no multi monitor, multi client all on ultra graphics DX11.. then yes. Its tremendously overkill.

Im sure some users will disagree, and say money is no object, and spend it if you got it.. but I can't agree.

So my concern,

For my core machine I have an I5 2500k (not overclocked at the current time due to some stability issues I finally resolved) and I had issues running t2 chrome edition I. 1920x1080 mode with an amd 6950. Maybe it was because of my amd chipset vs using nvidia?

Everything I read always pushes for a good bit of power running a vp cabinet.

What are the recommended specs running two screens and a dmd without any stutter ect?

I'm running an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition, GTX560 OC, 4GB of RAM and an nLited install of XP32. It's been a couple months since I played T2 chrome, but I don't recall having any performance issues at all, even with hardware FXAA enabled...

Your i5 is definitely superior to my CPU, especially for a single-threaded app like VP. My guess is your current issue is related to either the ATI video card, VP settings or something with the OS.

If I were you, I'd just go with a single GTX660 2GB, which can be had from NewEgg for under $200 and you should be fine for just about anything you want to do...

So did some digging and just felt sli would bring more issues, so went with a single gtx 660.

So here is my build list - got some good deals on some of this - ended up at about $900 total.

Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBSR

SeaSonic M12II 750 SS-750AM 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler (I hope this bad boy fits! I measured going to be tight).

ASUS GTX660-DC2O-2GD5 GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Going to try for an OC to about 4.5ghz and going to do a dual boot for windows 8 and 7 on the same drive so I can play Zen tables as well.

So did some digging and just felt sli would bring more issues, so went with a single gtx 660.

So here is my build list - got some good deals on some of this - ended up at about $900 total.

Going to try for an OC to about 4.5ghz and going to do a dual boot for windows 8 and 7 on the same drive so I can play Zen tables as well.

CPU - check

MoBo - check

SSD - good call... check.. but you may want to also put in a cheapy 7200rpm 500GB (or 250GB if you can find one) storage drive. Theyre pretty cheap now a days.

750W PSW - check

special CUP fan - really not required

TC for CPU - definitely a check lol

GPU - check

I would advise against conflicting OS's People have been able to make them work, I myself have done it. Honestly, I couldn't really justify the reason months afterwards. Your SSD can handle whatever youre gonna throw at it.

RAM!?!?

Sorry forgot to add the ram to the list! I saw a pretty easy way to load windows 7 and 8 on the same drive, with a selectable boot option and the ability to freely switch between the default os. My idea is to modify the windows 8 default boot loader to my own text and images -

Example

Planet Pinball (instead of select os)

Zen/Farsight Tables (instead of windows 8)

Vp/FP Tables (instead of windows 7)

In my opinion ease of use and stability can break or make a system.

I'm building a pretty beefy system to future proof my cabinet for hopefully a good 5 years.

"special CUP fan - really not required " - Due to the planned over-clock you have to have a really good cooler. I honestly may not be able to even OC to 4.5 on this chip do to the heat inside the cabinet. I have a h100 I can try as backup, but scared of leaks inside the cab or pump failure (it's running in my 4.5ghz 2500k oc PC now)

I saw a pretty easy way to load windows 7 and 8 on the same drive, with a selectable boot option and the ability to freely switch between the default os.

Can you elaborate on this? I haven't delved too deeply into this yet, but to this point most of the techniques I've seen involve using two separate drives...

EDIT: nm...what I was thinking of is dual booting XP and W8, which last time I checked, required two drives.

Archived