Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

polyurethane over vinyl

bubsy54

I just got a great deal for fatheads, so I had to buy them. I am using them as my side art and so far they are sticking to my cabinet just fine.

I want them to be a permanent solution to my cabinets bare sides so I was thinking about sealing them into the side of my cabinet.

Do you think that by going over the whole side of the cabinet with polyurethane would do the trick?

I have heard differing opinions on the subject. Some have suggested to use a water based poly while others just say that the poly will crack, get discolored, out simply ruin the vinyl decal.

But still, does anyone think that a coat of poly could seal the images permanently to the side?

I'm inclined to thing that paining or spraying anything onto vinyl wouldn't end in success. There's nothing for the coating to adhere to or if it did, would likely not be very durable. I may be completely wrong though ... worth a go but best to try it on some scrap first.

I was thinking of using a scrap piece first to see how it would come out. I just have a limited amount of scrap pieces so I wanted to get the best possible solution first

rdhanded2 - What do you mean by clear coat the sides? Do you mean the edges of the fathead only? Cause I am trying to seal the fathead to the side.

Thanks

Looks like a may have been wrong about this. After a bit of googling, it seems to be down to technique. It looks like the best bet would be to use a decent automotive clear coat spray and apply a light coat to it - apparently too heavy an application can cause the edges to lift if it manages to get under the vinyl. Once the fist layer is down, regular coats can be applied. Not sure how it would work out with anything other than a spray though. You'd then have to consider the cost and getting the coat on evenly. Hope that helps some.

They are vinyl stickers that can be removed and replaced, so they aren't a permanent fixture. They stick pretty well without any additional stuff. I just want to use them as a permanent solution to my cabinets sides. I chose them because I have had experience with them before (not for an arcade) and I really love their quality.

Archived